Heat Exchanger question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimonBryan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Monesk
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
During Annual service machanics identified that two of the heat exchnagers were in a bad way, ultimatley neede replacing. The engine exchanger and gear cooler - one quoted at abour $350 the other at $2250.

Does that sound right?

That would depend on what engine you have, who marinized it, and where in the world you are.
I just replaced all of my coolers for my Ford Lehman 135s with new ones, oil and trans from American Diesel , $500+ for the four, and the main heat exchangers from a mfgr in Miami through Treasure Coast Radiator for about $700 each, all in cupro-nickle, which as I understand is a more durable material. Put in new zincs too.
Check shipping prices, as my heat exchangers were 40 lbs each.

That would depend on what engine you have, who marinized it, and where in the world you are.
I just replaced all of my coolers for my Ford Lehman 135s with new ones, oil and trans from American Diesel , $500+ for the four, and the main heat exchangers from a mfgr in Miami through Treasure Coast Radiator for about $700 each, all in cupro-nickle, which as I understand is a more durable material. Put in new zincs too.
Check shipping prices, as my heat exchangers were 40 lbs each.
Yes should have mentioned it is 120hp - as far as I know it only has three - Engine, Oil and Gear Oil. In Australia.

Heat exchangers

120? I guess it is the Lehman. The year / hours on the engine should guide you.
Call and talk to Brian at American Diesel.
He suggested that if I didn't know when the oil and trans coolers were replaced, or if it was more than five years, even with good maintenence, that these should be replaced with new as any failure will cause expensive problems.
Pressure testing main heat exchangers requires acid cleaning them, which has to be paid for, even if they test bad. If they are older, it may be better to go ahead and replace them.

During Annual service machanics identified that two of the heat exchnagers were in a bad way, ultimatley neede replacing. The engine exchanger and gear cooler - one quoted at abour $350 the other at $2250.

Does that sound right?

Simon,

I am just in the process of replacing an oil and transmission cooler on one of our 135 Lehmans. 9 and 12inch with 5/8 fittings from Boatbits.com.au - down your way. Ph 0414 797 227 ask for Les. I phoned him yesterday and they arrived today. Sadly your prices are in the ball park. If the above prices are supply and fit then I would let him do it although its not a hard job.

George

A quick look at air freight costs gave me around $ 300+ USD shipping for the 45 lbs main heat exchanger.
$2200 seems high, unless that includes removal and installation.
You may want to look at the condition of your hoses, and the quality and condition of your hose clamps as well.
Good luck

You could try Fredwarner1 on ebay. It`s a while ago but he was cheaper than Seakamp who makes them, and helpful. A search should find him. Best check your exhaust angle if you are replacing all the coolers.

Thanks everyone

THanks foir the replies everyone - seems the prices are realistic, found some for around the $2000 mark here in Australia and as the mechanic has always been helpful and honest going ahead with him.
I know theya r easy to replace and we had cleaned them a couple of years ago when the gear box one totally blocked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom