Hatteras wiper motor replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY

Guru
Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
I need to replace 1 motor on my 1976 Hatteras 48 LRC. I suspect most of the similar Hatteras models of this vintage have a similar design. I opened up the inside panels in the brow, above the helm. Motor is attached to an aluminum bracket with 3 screws. But those screw heads face forward and so not only do you need to get a flat blade screwdriver into the slot blindly buy you need a screwdriver perhaps 1 inch max in length! I even tried on of those offset right angle type but no room to rotate it.

I am guessing that perhaps the entire assembly gets pulled out but I don't see how that is possible as there are blind (inaccessible) bolts and glue or silicon that are holding it to the inside of the brow.

My hope is someone has tackled this and has found the best (only??) way to do this. Hatteras normally makes replacements fairly easy so I must be missing something. Attached are picks of the backside of the assembly as well as the replacement motor from Sam's I was able to remove the 7/16 nut on the shafts but getting the 3 screws off seems nearly impossible. I may try a socket wrench with a flat blade but there may not be any room for the socket handle. FYI instead of a flat head bolt the new motor has a hex socket so that should be a bit easier to deal with a std small hex wrench.

Photos attached

Attachments

• 20240515_121624.jpg
    20240515_121624.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240515_121632.jpg
    20240515_121632.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240515_124803.jpg
    20240515_124803.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 19
I believe that on the wiper arm side there is a nut that holds it by the shaft. There could be a flange screwed down inside that stops it from rotating and oriented correctly.

Thanks. There is a nut on the motor shaft that secures it to the wiper mechanism. I did get that off. But without removing the three screws I don't see any path forward to get that full assembly off. That full assembly with 2 brackets is both screwed and glued to the brow. Hard to capture good pics.

The motor shaft doesn't just pass thru the bulkhead and out to the wiper arm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom