got a notice from canada coast guard today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, have seen the Humpbacks off Monterey quite a few times. They pass through this area and will sometimes linger off the northern Channel Islands to feed, but I believe they are just passing through.

I believe they are just passing through.
Yes, some 20,000 or so move on up from Mexico along the west coast to BC and Alaska. Another 10,000 from Hawaii.

It takes them 6 to 8 weeks to make the journey, first moms and calves, followed by sub adults, then males and lastly, pregnant females. They start arriving here in early April.

After being hunted to the brink of extinction in the North Pacific Ocean, Canadian whaling ceased in 1967 and it would be thirty years before a humpback approached the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

In 1997, a lone humpback briefly appeared in the west entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca and was spotted by researcher Mark Malleson. It was 2003 when Mark again witnessed the first humpback to venture through the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the inside of Vancouver Island. Low and behold it was a return of the 1997 visitor and this time it brought along a calf. She was immediately named Big Mama and would achieve celebrity status as the first of the humpback comeback. Big Mama would go on to become one of the first arrivals from Hawaii every year and by 2022 she had introduced seven new calves to our waters, each of which now return every year.

I believe the use of AIS information for non-safety purposes may have the unintended effect of discouraging adoption of the system. This is the first time I became aware of this non-safety use and it certainly makes me uneasy about using the system. Retaining a record of the movement of vessels is downright creepy.

I believe the use of AIS information for non-safety purposes may have the unintended effect of discouraging adoption of the system. This is the first time I became aware of this non-safety use and it certainly makes me uneasy about using the system. Retaining a record of the movement of vessels is downright creepy.

It was used for safety of the Orca (whales).
I can’t possibly be the only one who sees this!
Some might argue that it was also used for safety of the OP’s wallet in that another option, rather than contact by radio, could have been to board and give a ticket and resulting fine.

Yes. I think it was used for safety.

It was used for safety of the Orca (whales).
I can’t possibly be the only one who sees this!
Some might argue that it was also used for safety of the OP’s wallet in that another option, rather than contact by radio, could have been to board and give a ticket and resulting fine.

Yes. I think it was used for safety.
No you are not the only one, but nonetheless a false flag. Were there any whales there, probably not. How do I know, the OP did not mention whale watchers he had to dodge.

If AIS isn't used, law enforcement has plenty of tools these days and better ones constantly being developed or becoming more practical to enforce laws.

As in many cases of breaking the law, accidental violations could be avoided by developing better systems to alert boaters of temporary or uncharted notices to mariners.

Hopefully some brainiac is working on automated updating of AIS to have virtual makers/notes displayed so people DO use AIS all the time and it provides this useful info.

Hopefully some brainiac is working on automated updating of AIS to have virtual makers/notes displayed so people DO use AIS all the time and it provides this useful info.

The technology exists and is in use in some areas. The first time I noticed it was for the outer markers of San Fran VTS. Those "buoys" are now virtual.

In areas with VTS they can already track every boat on radar. And if someone really wants to track you, they'll find other ways as well. In this situation, AIS isn't telling them where you are when they otherwise wouldn't know, it's just telling them who the dot on radar is without them having to use other methods to find out.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "Retaining a record of the movement of vessels is downright creepy." 1984 is NOT a novel by George Orwell. It's a user manual.

iu

The technology exists and is in use in some areas. The first time I noticed it was for the outer markers of San Fran VTS. Those "buoys" are now virtual.

I know the virtual navaid has been around for awhile on the East coast... not sure how fast one can be added or deleted or how much "info" can be attached to explain things beyond simple navaid marking.

I know the virtual navaid has been around for awhile on the East coast... not sure how fast one can be added or deleted or how much "info" can be attached to explain things beyond simple navaid marking.
Understood. Just guessing, the speed to add the zone boundaries and additional info on AIS is probably limted more by bureaucratic nonsense than technical issues.

It would be helpful to the mariner if the regulatory authority, in this case Canada DFO, would co-ordinate with chart makers, CHS, NOAA (because NOAA's charts overlap this area), Navionics, C-MAP etc to encourage if not require displaying the restricted zones. Navionics does show a dashed red line but no text. NOAA charts do not show the area. I don't at the moment have access to CHS charts and I don't use C-MAP so not sure about those charts.

CHS is part of the DFO. You'd think it could be done. But...

Marine Traffic has a record of your past positions. If you ever ever used MT you will find it easy to track any boat you select, though I haven't seen how far back it goes.
This is not new.

I also see this as a safety use. Having the CG readily able to identify and contact you directly enhances your safety. That can't be in question.

I have been aware of this area since it started, but have to agree it is not well marked. Navionics does show Vessel NO Go zone in the middle section once, but unless you magnify it to look for it, does not stand out from the other dotted lines. Like putting a tree in front of a stop sign.
CCG and Customs should work together to better advertise it to our visitors.
Whiskey Gulf is also well known, and you still have to chart a course around it.
But to leave the Bedwell custom docks you turn right into the zone.

Agree - Navionics don't do a good job here. Nor do they do a good job of ID'ing area WG or rockfish conservation areas, or glass sponge reef areas , and they've recently done away with the current tables for many of the areas "we" need them most (Dodd Narrows, 2nd Narrows, Porlier Pass etc.)

Navionics seems to be reducing detail focus on "non USA" areas lately with many of their "updates" being put in place with the obvious input of liability lawyers. This is now to the point where it's not only not useful, as this discussion shows, it's becoming dangerous to rely on as the single source of good navigation info it once was.

As you can tell Navionics is rapidly falling out of favour with me - and I teach how to use it..

All this hand wringing about a no go zone not being on Twitteronics makes me wonder how Cook, Vancouver, Valdes et al, survived their first harbour departure.

It is not a crime to cross through the zone leaving port and if you stay at least half a NM off shore in these two very small areas of our 16,000 miles of coastline and you are fine.

Remember to Update Your charts

I am a rule follower and was surprised to discover the whale protection zone and yes it was the section next to pender. I may have gotten a little more complacent by following another boat that made this trip every year and it was my first.I dont recall seeing anything on the garmin charts.

1) I live on North Pender and the no vessel whale zone is clearly marked on all the charts (Garmin and Navionics). Its good practice to make sure all are updated and revise your routes rather than following others. How many folks have run aground doing that I wonder?

2) The Coastguard regularly patrol the are with vessels and aircraft, and they do note intrusions. However, they are more likely to prosecute commercial vessels.

3) suggesting to hide yourself by turning off AIS is poor semanship.

Anyone can make a mistake, but best to own up and learn from them. Just use the correct updated charts, and stay out of restricted zones, rather than trying to get round the rules.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "Retaining a record of the movement of vessels is downright creepy." 1984 is NOT a novel by George Orwell. It's a user manual.

iu

Yep so you are paying attention...in many regards that is true. How did he know? Perhaps he was a master of human nature. But regarding the whales, this is nothing compared to what they are doing. I get it, we need to protect the environment and animals. That is not what concerns me. Note to self, just shut up and vote..er... I mean BOAT!

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nineteen-Eighty-four

Orwell wrote Nineteen Eighty-four as a warning after years of brooding on the twin menaces of Nazism and Stalinism. Its depiction of a state where daring to think differently is rewarded with torture, where people are monitored every second of the day, and where party propaganda trumps free speech and thought is a sobering reminder of the evils of unaccountable governments. Winston is the symbol of the values of civilized life, and his defeat is a poignant reminder of the vulnerability of such values in the midst of all-powerful states.

Last edited:
Personally, I use Ports and Passes for accurate tide and current data. Yes, I work there, but that has always been my practice. I know the constituent data is purchased from the Canada source every year, and it is the most accurate available. It also covers about 800 tide and current primary and secondary stations. I like the actual book, but it comes in three separate Kindle volumes as well.

Just sayin… :)

Greetings,

iu
As most fans of the novel know, Orwell's original title for it was "1948". :eek:

The OP had no intent of breaking any rules. He was singled out ONLY because he had AIS. I think any rule/law that discriminates is morally wrong. Period. The OP was threatened with a fine if he was caught in a whale zone again. Is he really wrong for not transmitting AIS like the other two boats he was traveling with? If so, how come transmitters arn't mandatory? How come it's not mandatory to have the ability to update your charts to show these zones? I don't have AIS or the ability to update my charts. However, I am vaccinated.

The OP had no intent of breaking any rules. He was singled out ONLY because he had AIS. I think any rule/law that discriminates is morally wrong. Period. The OP was threatened with a fine if he was caught in a whale zone again. Is he really wrong for not transmitting AIS like the other two boats he was traveling with? If so, how come transmitters arn't mandatory? How come it's not mandatory to have the ability to update your charts to show these zones? I don't have AIS or the ability to update my charts. However, I am vaccinated.

I'd bet at least some of the other boats were IDed and probably got letters in the mail. AIS just meant it was easy for them to give him a call and let him know right away.

Me-Too

Were you alongside North Pender Island between June 1st - November 30, 2022? A map was issued showing the boundary areas and caveats for Southern BC waters.

We were traveling along North Pender in late June. Our OpenCPN nor paper charts showed a boundary area but after a call from the Canadian Coast Guard, I found the protected area on Navionics.

We happened to have floated into the area as we had an engine problem. They were very polite and we were on our way, limping back to the US.

Interestingly, we received our AIS MMIS from BoatUS who said it would not work in Canada. Guess it does.

A lot of chatter here over AIS that, with a few exceptions, is not required equipment for recreational vessels.

Installing and running it on your recreational boat is with the understanding you can and will be tracked.

Interestingly, we received our AIS MMIS from BoatUS who said it would not work in Canada. Guess it does.

AIS will still work outside of the US and the info (like boat name) that it broadcasts will be visible. But if a SAR agency tried to look up your MMSI, they wouldn't find it (and therefore no info on your boat), as it's only in the US database not the international one.

Greetings,

iu

Think there is confusion here over the technology and use of the data.
AIS is a great safety innovation, and will likely beome mandated for recreational boaters, same as ADS-B has been for recreation pilots in the USA.

Tracking vessels that break the law would seem a legitimate use of AIS data, and as others have pointed out tracking personal and vessel location is very easy by other means. Welcome to the 21st Century! I guess that won't stop the conspiracy theorists though...

Greetings,
Mr. WR. My comment was somewhat facetious and referred to Mr. S's specific use of the word "creepy". Realistically, anyone who thinks they can remain anonymous IF the authorities want to track or find you is simply being naive/foolish given the technology (known and unknown) available today. This does include hackers.

One can hope to expect LEO's use this technology legally and responsibly which, I think in this case, they did. The OP has now been informed of the restricted zones and can avoid them in the future. No harm. No foul IMO.

iu

What I’ve gleaned from this thread is not about the use of AIS as an invasion of our privacy nor the reasons for the zones, including several in the San Juans. Sadly, it shows that there are a large number of skippers that don’t keep up with the various navigation publications available.
Case in point, I was checking in with Customs at VanIsle and a poster announcing and depicting restricted zones caught my eye. Okay, I’m one who’s always looking around to see if there’s something special in that moment, but sometimes just looking around pays off. The poster was informative and clear. On the other hand there’s another whole group who would look only for the phone and miss a $100 bill sitting next to it.
It seemed like there were a larger than normal number of sinkings and groundings this year due to navigation errors. Routing that went over known hazards then relying on the auto pilot. Someone called them Covid Boats. I had three situations where I had to take evasive action to avoid a collision.
The bottom line is getting people to pay attention to the information that’s out there and check before leaving the dock, and agencies need to get creative in disseminating information. I expect that if the OP, or anyone in the group they were with, had noticed some sort of announcement, the situation would have been avoided. They were far from alone. Listening to the VHF, channel 16 was alive with vessels being called out and corrected.

What I’ve gleaned from this thread is not about the use of AIS as an invasion of our privacy nor the reasons for the zones, including several in the San Juans. Sadly, it shows that there are a large number of skippers that don’t keep up with the various navigation publications available.
Case in point, I was checking in with Customs at VanIsle and a poster announcing and depicting restricted zones caught my eye. Okay, I’m one who’s always looking around to see if there’s something special in that moment, but sometimes just looking around pays off. The poster was informative and clear. On the other hand there’s another whole group who would look only for the phone and miss a $100 bill sitting next to it.
It seemed like there were a larger than normal number of sinkings and groundings this year due to navigation errors. Routing that went over known hazards then relying on the auto pilot. Someone called them Covid Boats. I had three situations where I had to take evasive action to avoid a collision.
The bottom line is getting people to pay attention to the information that’s out there and check before leaving the dock, and agencies need to get creative in disseminating information. I expect that if the OP, or anyone in the group they were with, had noticed some sort of announcement, the situation would have been avoided. They were far from alone. Listening to the VHF, channel 16 was alive with vessels being called out and corrected.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom