fuel hose options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
the attached photo show the fuel intake hose to the gen racor is a 1/2" ID rubber hose
I need to buy a similar 3/4" hose. I searched "Gates BRLA 3/4 200 psi" but didn't get an exact match. I only need 2 ft.
so I want to ask where can I cut 2ft of 3/4" fuel hose, or could there be other options such as more pliant hose

Image_20240321194401.jpg

You want marine fuel hose A1 rating where fuel stays in the hose. Why do you need 3/4” hose? Don’t you have a Lehman engine? They don’t need anything close to 3/4” fuel hose. More like 5/16 or 3/8”. Defender sells hose by the foot.

You want marine fuel hose A1 rating where fuel stays in the hose. Why do you need 3/4” hose? Don’t you have a Lehman engine? They don’t need anything close to 3/4” fuel hose. More like 5/16 or 3/8”. Defender sells hose by the foot.

this is to connect a racor to a manifold
defender's A1 hose is available up to 5/8
does this SAE 30R7 hose or ISO 7840 work?

Last edited:
I don’t know about those hoses. Marine A1 is the recommended hose. What draw do you have that needs 3/4”? You didn’t answer about your engine. I have 450HP engines and don’t have as big as 3/4”.

I don’t know about those hoses. Marine A1 is the recommended hose. What draw do you have that needs 3/4”? You didn’t answer about your engine. I have 450HP engines and don’t have as big as 3/4”.

the manifold has 3 outlet: genset hose 3/8, one diesel heater 3/16. The 3rd one is reserved for a second heater. 3/8+ 3/16x2 = 3/4. not likely the genny and heaters would run at the same time though.

I found this one is rated marine A1-15

That would be ok, but why the large hose? Your consumption can’t be anywhere near that capacity.

I’m not sure about your math. You said “3/8 + 3/16*2 = 3/4.” But it doesn’t work that way. Just because you have a 3/8 hose and two 3/16 hoses leaving the manifold doesn’t mean you need a 3/4 coming in. Even if it did work that way, the capacity of a 3/4” hose is far more than 3/8 plus 3/16 plus 3/16 (pi r squared).

the manifold has 3 outlet: genset hose 3/8, one diesel heater 3/16. The 3rd one is reserved for a second heater. 3/8+ 3/16x2 = 3/4. not likely the genny and heaters would run at the same time though.

A 1/2” hose has almost 20% more cross sectional area than the sum of your three hoses. You do not need 3/4”!

The way to figure volume flow is to determine the area cross section of each hose (area of a circle [radius squared times pie]).
Your hoses cross sections are:
.11 square inches
.03 "
.03 "
-----------
.17 total square inches. 1/2" hose has a cross sectional area of .196 square inches. My foggy recollection is that 1/2" hose will handle in excess 25 gallons per hour.

Ted

Last edited:
yes, i realized last night it should be the sum of squares.
the current FG500 racor's fuel ports are 3/4-16 thread. that might be one reason I picked the manifold with 3/4 inlet.

but is there any downside of using 3/4" fuel hose?

The way to figure volume flow is to determine the area cross section of each hose (area of a circle [radius squared times pie]).
Your hoses cross sections are:
.11 square inches
.03 "
.03 "
-----------
.17 total square inches. 1/2" hose has a cross sectional area of .196 square inches. My foggy recollection is that 1/2" hose will handle in excess 25 gallons per hour.

Ted

yes, i realized last night it should be the sum of squares.
the current FG500 racor's fuel ports are 3/4-16 thread. that might be one reason I picked the manifold with 3/4 inlet.

but is there any downside of using 3/4" fuel hose?

I can't think of any downside as long as the fuel line is approved for diesel use in boats.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom