Entering Canada enroute to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuncicky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Betty L
Vessel Make
1973 Gulfstar
Strictly speaking, this is not a boating question. But it does have a connection. My wife and I will be driving up to Alaska in May and to do so will cross into Canada in Montana and then go up to the beginning of the Alaska highway. I have heard conflicting stories of the documentation needed to go from the U.S. into Canada, and wondered if any of you might be able to give me the true story of exactly what will be needed.

Thanks,
Bill

Well, certainly a passport. There might now be special drivers licenses that will get you across the boarder, but a passport is best.

As for Covid documentation and requirements, I think that has all been dropped now, but not certain. Previously you needed proof of Vax

Well, certainly a passport. There might now be special drivers licenses that will get you across the boarder, but a passport is best.

As for Covid documentation and requirements, I think that has all been dropped now, but not certain. Previously you needed proof of Vax

Covid documentation is one of the things I worried about. We both do have cards showing vaccination and booster shots.

We also both have valid passports, and current photo drivers' licenses. I don't know what a special drivers license might be.

The car will have registration papers, and proof of insurance.

No weapons, no alcohol.

Bill

Enhanced driver's license or passport has always been enough for me. I was told at one of my last crossings they prefered enhanced license over passport. I've been across the border many dozens of times but not since the Covid lockdown. Best to go straight to offical souces for both Canada and US, easy enough to find the info online. Be aware of what is prohibited. Both are federal borders and what's legal in your state or nation may not necesserily be legal to cross the border with. I'm thinking firearms and cannibis is where a lot of people have trouble. Among the questions I routinely got asked were how long I was staying and where was I staying.

In the for what it's worth column as a US citizen I've had more problems crossing back into the US than crossing into Canada. Usually it's painless and quick.

I was just in Canada. I have a passport but I think enhanced drivers license work too. I only gave them my drivers license. That is all they asked for. And certain food you can't bring in they also asked about (fresh vegetables and fruit and any animal products). They ask your plans and for how long. Thats it.

FYI you can bring alcohol in. We have done it many times. Usually they don't ask. If they do there is a limit and most people don't bring that much. The limit of alcohol is per person.

Last edited:
Covid documentation is one of the things I worried about. We both do have cards showing vaccination and booster shots.

We also both have valid passports, and current photo drivers' licenses. I don't know what a special drivers license might be.

No weapons, no alcohol.

Bill

The “special drivers license” is the enhanced real ID that is being phased in and will be required for TSA at some point. May 2023?

In the upper right corner it will have a black star inside a circle or a flag

You will need to have gone to the dmv to have your id checked and I think finger printed.

I don't know what a special drivers license might be.

No weapons, no alcohol.

Bill
In washington state it's called an enhanced driver's license. Contact your DMV. You will probably have to prove citizenship and residence. Wa State required 3 proofs when I got me. It can take a while to get one.

We just got back from Surry B.C. Canada. As stated id all you need is a NEXUS or Pasport. We have NEXUS. No issues.

Having traveled the Alaska Highway many many times. You will enjoy it. Get a 'Milepost' guide book. It will help you along the way. Good luck, have fun. Have any questions, let us know.

The MILEPOST 2023: Alaska Travel Planner https://a.co/d/cyeoUtv

Last edited:
No Ganga weed either. They will ask. Also no fresh veggies or fruit. As Protage Bay said, more worry about crossing back to the USA, typically.

No ganga (or any other drugs). We are both old enough so that we were brainwashed early on in life about MJ. Today MJ, tomorrow the hard stuff. Guaranteed. They showed us movies about it in high school. :)

Oh, and no veggies or fruit.

I'm going to check with the DMV about the enhanced/special drivers license.

Bill

Having traveled the Alaska Highway many many times. You will enjoy it. Get a 'Milepost' guide book. It will help you along the way. Good luck, have fun. Have any questions, let us know.

The MILEPOST 2023: Alaska Travel Planner https://a.co/d/cyeoUtv

Got it on order from Amazon. I believe they said April delivery for a 2023 version.

Bill

Last August Canada went back to standard border requirements. Pre Covid I had crossed with only a nexus card. Last August I crossed with just my Nexus card. During Covid I had to submit health forms, vaccination documents, Covid tests and quarantine plan.

No ganga (or any other drugs). We are both old enough so that we were brainwashed early on in life about MJ. Today MJ, tomorrow the hard stuff. Guaranteed. They showed us movies about it in high school. :)

and no animal products at all. Any meats like chicken steak or eggs or cheese. We had to dump our chicken and eggs we had.

and no animal products at all. Any meats like chicken steak or eggs or cheese. We had to dump our chicken and eggs we had.

This isn’t accurate.

The rules on crossing the border with meat and produce are always in flux. Best to check the rules right before crossing. Neither Canada nor the US allows non inspected meat products nor do they allow meat products from countries out side the US or Canada. In other words while you can buy Australian beef in the US you can not take that Australian beef from the US to Canada. You can take US beef to Canada if it has been inspected.

On occasions, Canada and the US will restrict certain meat products due to regional outbreaks of certain diseases. This is why chicken is fine one month and not allowed the next month. This is why you need to constantly check what is being allowed.

In the past Canada inspected dog food and the US did not, so for a long time you couldn’t take dog food to Canada. During this same period the US didn’t like Canada’s meat inspection practices so you couldn’t bring meat from Canada to the US. This has mostly changed and both countries now respect each others inspection process.

Neither country will allow home grown meat products across the border. There are special rules for hunters, I am not familiar with them but hunters should be aware.

I'm going to check with the DMV about the enhanced/special drivers license.

Bill

I believe the “Enhanced” driver’s license is different from the “Real ID”. You have to prove citizenship or immigration status in addition to identity. Mine says “ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE” in bold print on top right corner. It is good for crossing to or from Canada and Mexico by land or sea, but not by air. I believe only certain border states participate.
Alcohol OK in specified limited quantities. Meats, fruit and vegetables complicated so I just say none. Guns, ammo, marijuana and any product containing CBD are no.
The rules are complicated but clearly published by both Canada and USA. As noted above the return to the US can be more complex than entering Canada.
Bring right ID documents and leave the complicated or prohibited stuff behind and the crossing both ways is painless now that Canada’s extra Covid rules have expired.

In washington state it's called an enhanced driver's license. Contact your DMV. You will probably have to prove citizenship and residence. Wa State required 3 proofs when I got me. It can take a while to get one.

The driver's licenses which we both have just have a gold star up at the top right-hand corner, and the words USA below it. I gather this is not the enhanced DL. ??

Looks like what we have are REAL ID driver's licenses. Apparently our state does not provide the enhanced version. However, we do both have valid passports, so guess that is not a problem.

Bill

I believe the “Enhanced” driver’s license is different from the “Real ID”. You have to prove citizenship or immigration status in addition to identity. Mine says “ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE” in bold print on top right corner. It is good for crossing to or from Canada and Mexico by land or sea, but not by air. I believe only certain border states participate.
Alcohol OK in specified limited quantities. Meats, fruit and vegetables complicated so I just say none. Guns, ammo, marijuana and any product containing CBD are no.
The rules are complicated but clearly published by both Canada and USA. As noted above the return to the US can be more complex than entering Canada.
Bring right ID documents and leave the complicated or prohibited stuff behind and the crossing both ways is painless now that Canada’s extra Covid rules have expired.

You are right, and I just learned something new. The enhanced license is different than the real ID, with the difference being it can be used to enter Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries. I couldn’t find which additional identification it requires to get, but presumably more.
I wasn’t offered the choice when I got my new license.

I always travel with my passport. It is always accepted. TSA, CBP and Immigration never hassle me.

Whenever we renew our passports get the book and the card. Have used the credit card sized card to go into Canada and the states in the past. More convenient when on a motorcycle.

This isn’t accurate.

The rules on crossing the border with meat and produce are always in flux. Best to check the rules right before crossing. Neither Canada nor the US allows non inspected meat products nor do they allow meat products from countries out side the US or Canada. In other words while you can buy Australian beef in the US you can not take that Australian beef from the US to Canada. You can take US beef to Canada if it has been inspected.

I was literally just there last week they made us dump our chicken and meat products and eggs. We bought them again in Canada. If I am not accurate then the border guards are not accurate and I had to dispose of this stuff for no reason? When was the last time you crossed the border?

We ski Whistler all the time.

Last edited:
In addition to the food restrictions there are also strict limits on alcohol (and they almost certainly will ask). I don't remember the details but it seems like it is 2 bottles for a couple. Opened bottles don't count (they are worried about reselling).

The only issue we have ever had was returning one time to the US. We had purchased some contemporary First Peoples artwork at a gallery and the US side was very perturbed about it as if might be looted treasure!

In addition to the food restrictions there are also strict limits on alcohol (and they almost certainly will ask).

Many years ago, a couple amigos and I were clearing customs at Bedwell, when they actually had people there.

Woman asked if we had firearms...."none". Alcohol?...none. other questions, then "firearms?" None....other questions...alcohol? = none. Firearms? = none.

Finally, she and two other agents spent 30 minutes tossing the whole boat. Simply refused to believe that three Yanks could travel without booze and guns.:dance:

I was literally just there last week they made us dump our chicken and meat products and eggs. We bought them again in Canada. If I am not accurate then the border guards are not accurate and I had to dispose of this stuff for no reason? When was the last time you crossed the border?

We ski Whistler all the time.

Washington is currently on a zone restriction for raw or live chicken due to an out break of bird flu. This is a temporary restriction that could last for an unknown time. This does not make all US chicken banned nor is it a permanent restriction. THat is why I stated one needs to constantly check the rules for meat and produce before entering Canada. The rules change frequently on a temporary basis.

If your chicken had been frozen from Arkansas you would have been legal.

I am currently skiing Aspen.

Have had to throw out food when entering various countries. Our habit has been to unwrap food in the dinghy or on the dock in order to not take any cardboard or foamed plastic on board. This in an effort to avoid getting any bugs in the boat. This chore has been well worth it and we have been bug free for decades unlike other cruising buddies. Added advantage is you can get more in the freezer and can freeze individual portions. But the downside is when gaining practique. Almost all countries will make allowances if the food is in its original unopened wrappings but it gets thrown out if opened or repacked.

Looks like what we have are REAL ID driver's licenses. Apparently our state does not provide the enhanced version. However, we do both have valid passports, so guess that is not a problem.
I believe only border states offer enhanced DLs. Could be wrong, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Bill

My Washington DL says "Enhanced Driver License" in the upper right hand quarter and has an American flag positioned on my photo.

Tator

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom