Entec Genset with attached hydraulic pump backup propulsion system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Home is Williams IN, boat is on Barkley Lake, Ky.
Vessel Name
Go, Dog, Go!
Vessel Make
'79 Marine Trader 38'
We are planing on buying a Marine Trader with a Entec 4 cyl genset. Attached on the front of the gen is a hydraulic pump that is part of a 'get home' drive system. I imagine the system was pricey. I will probably keep the genset as long as feasible but I am considering removing the hydraulic system just to make room and simplify the gen maintenance. (How would you change the belt?)
Does anyone have experience with this system? Is it worth keeping. Photos are of the pump attached to genny and the genset book giving the model, etc.
Also,
Please share any source for parts for the genset?
Thank you.
Sanford and Val Gentry

Attachments

• 6 - 1.jpeg
    6 - 1.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 6 - 1 (1).jpeg
    6 - 1 (1).jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 43
If you have a single main engine and want a secondary way to turn the prop shaft, then it's worth having.
If you keep it, try it out before you actually need it.
The engine and generator end can be repaired or rebuilt. I'd check the bearing in the generator (the end away from the engine). Most are supposed to get replaced at 5 years. Many never are even checked.

You could always replace the belt and also leave a spare there in case of emergency like many people do on their 120 Lehman.

If you have a single main engine and want a secondary way to turn the prop shaft, then it's worth having.
If you keep it, try it out before you actually need it.
The engine and generator end can be repaired or rebuilt. I'd check the bearing in the generator (the end away from the engine). Most are supposed to get replaced at 5 years. Many never are even checked.
Thank you! I did not know about the bearing. I will check it out.

I think we all would be interested in how well the system works. For a 38' boat I wouldn't think it would move along very well, especially against wind or current. That looks to be a fairly small pump and I would guess the engine driving the generator is only 15hp-ish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom