Displays and Instruments location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvmahal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mahal
Vessel Make
23m Trawler
I have room above and below the window where I can install instruments. Lower maybe nicer on the neck and higher maybe nicer at night not sure..

Any recommendations? Where you would put chart plotter / camera monitor / vhf etc. ?

Any reason of one place over the other?

Thanks

Climb into your helm seat , put your feet up to the 4 hour watch rest position, then decide on comfort and what you might need to reach for.

Be sure you can scan the engine instruments as well as the electric gadgets.

Do a Google search for instrument ergonomics.....might be helpful in understanding head up or down issues.

Pretty sure I read head down for longer periods so things like chartplotters should be down, things like engine instruments that are just glanced at can be up.

The rest may fall into place by reach, etc....

Climb into your helm seat , put your feet up to the 4 hour watch rest position, then decide on comfort and what you might need to reach for.

Be sure you can scan the engine instruments as well as the electric gadgets.

:thumb:

Do a Google search for instrument ergonomics.....might be helpful in understanding head up or down issues.

Pretty sure I read head down for longer periods so things like chartplotters should be down, things like engine instruments that are just glanced at can be up.

The rest may fall into place by reach, etc....

Agreed. In general, the things I need to look at the most should be the ones that require the least visual diversion to look at.

Here's an example of my helm layout. Since this picture, I've added a second VHF where the empty bracket on the right side is. Plotter sits up top for easy viewing, engine instruments are right below that and still easily scanned. Less necessary items like VHFs, etc. are off to the side and more out of the way, as I don't have to look at them as frequently. And one VHF is positioned so someone sitting at the "nav station" next to the helm can operate it easily.

Attachments

• 48608923242_9c3c3e499e_o.jpg
    48608923242_9c3c3e499e_o.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 54
On my first boat I wanted gauges and toys everywhere, high up where I and everyone else could see them. I still see some boats with so much junk high up you can hardly see out the window. Not only is the appliance in the way but they are a pain to mount and often you have cords dangling in your field of vision.

Now, everything goes low.

pete

On my first boat I wanted gauges and toys everywhere, high up where I and everyone else could see them. I still see some boats with so much junk high up you can hardly see out the window. Not only is the appliance in the way but they are a pain to mount and often you have cords dangling in your field of vision.

Now, everything goes low.

pete

The cords up high is a big one. If you've got overhead mounting, it's a good spot for a VHF. In theory. In reality, it only works if you use VHFs where the mics can be cabled from the rear and mounted remotely. Dangling mic cords and such can be a major annoyance.

I've got most of mine above the windows. They don't interfere but I rather think that is boat dependent so what works in one boat for one operator won't necessarily work for another.

I think FF's idea is a good one. to determine locations.

I mounted mine above the windows because I want to be able to glance up at my VHFs , the GPS, sounder with out taking my eyes far off my line of travel. The compass is on the dash ahead where it needs to be and with the electronics overhead there is minimal interference to the compass.

That was taught me the hard way. The previous boat had the vhf mounted at my side by the P.O. By the time I took my eyes off my travel line to adjust the radio I missed seeing a log untill too late to avoid it. Bent both shafts and props, left a rudder on the bottom and put a small hole in the bottom of the boat.
The lesson was nothing was to be mounted that I could not see without just a glance.

With my much slower boat I have not changed my mind.

Se be mindfull also of what you need to see and check to adjust most often and place it where it can be monitored without taking your eyes off the line of travel any long than absolutely necessary.

Your safety and ease of monitoring pieces of equipment should be paramount.

I think FF's idea is a good one. to determine locations......

The lesson was nothing was to be mounted that I could not see without just a glance.....

Your safety and ease of monitoring pieces of equipment should be paramount.
I agree with the above comments but I would add one more: Keep the panel as clean as possible...don't junk it up!

Attachments

• NEW PANEL 3.jpg
    NEW PANEL 3.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 37
I liked having the navigation related displays/controls and radio overhead at our lower helm. Engine related gauges at the dash of the helm. We enjoyed having an unobstructed view, especially in poor visibility and weather. At the upper helm, we had one big display on a RAM mount, and its controller, radios, etc were right below it. Worked out great.

kIIOET-OcqQ0v11nYkxVdIHbUP4hqYWxIVVIPeYdUtCeQhke0nHmUyIl25aaqG-DlCnb9qQJnYy8zspax_t2CgPgBAahv53Eo3Xo2oY8Hs53gfo4Pli22mZznJVkZbdO1SnVrTFnEfFUUKGBNLmoJ_9z1F-hoN49_nPZXWejgTS01VgMnyaNHSX8zwZMGW3u19e-smaxmnkmgHl-FqcUk1DFfFPPm8Ihh7vZIVAC8kIdl_upTAs4R501Mt-9sAn9J6jEs9lCS97oSLAo7s_0WKY3tD53MdUP_yx0wEItIhNMxf5C_Sf8B-STmvz9YBW_ho_rxQy2rRPthyYr4l98IUbNBRAgzjF76X2E4F3hZWMtFugxSBr8w7p7WesRlk3mue6Gw7qWc0bM8U_AGXt7ZGx656ulPJzV1I26PrXyhKPU-Ysju8ubgWDm308aXvu70KU3tUexOALeeI-IXaEAgXE9GnK0xoFoqNd4R4IamvGCxoxV7Nn9zbSJwAnpIKuL7h8M6SdARYSdlj8y0oZsdAFeFLHYaMn1AOBs5NdRjoSjxTUK-CmMhu5RX9pjQ7tkxZ3p7ppTMnaPr0QkOMynaA8sn74gPHoaXYZxTuglNPegitvlaBjdSbRAoRa-pr_exooEuhoWlJ9x33RWecRrWJGDZ_Z8i_5jxJinXJWjZ9MyxYgepVVUy2ubIXEA=w600-h450-no

This photo below doesn't do the set up justice, because you could bring the display straight up and angle it towards the helm so no glare as shown

XvzF2Wh6aqck0-e-Ps9guGALKnKH75c70YP-Ml93sCBFKYyIKtb9x3Al6I1JPWQq6aofyxW57xis8thw_7ujMoQpX3uWVbopO5ECEIWEaev2a3dcXOsdpbAplScITVQsTWesqvJmbQb2EyJt7iAbsWB9YQzrYYW-9OZLN_hjy2EloCXaHv-uTZSK-wU9ICpmgAmS9Lmb9uVlfjPXCpkYOgVyf-4ppI2gIdys4DOWksKddDoffFFGhpkYJx2GRABw8EOla1buhd4U1KG0g4cuVvOpoe758iVAIthiE4xjAld75UDb-SArFGn0Ft9bzO5XYmbydqKKbQKPJ1nBswSM3Ko8v2LsCWmccEeWkehkbMclHX0kjGbAuFWqrouyDym4O9g4OmrM1CEKMqlTfQ7Gygvpv10Tfj7gDBZYU1z4XNcEPHu88wZY0Ur5ipJ5rmVTAG92jrMTmhH6dcA9-D1a_JqGqeWpXZPuMACeOljqR9NfjVOXF2KjedFWE8WKYOtVY5C944xF0Xdeq9ZjAocCiu6y1Rev_DSsph3Dd4fUEO3Gh5lJmjlVka5y8bLydLhAqSBiyQRBZmll7GY2LVjT9cnwKAbzmj1kIgB4id9QEVq8BAU18kxmxyEDPUlOS45MmvAzwOj9648Z7_K38Rzcj0GdaJwA0wbwU_jRqUGnMUoo8IQyHtjV4C_q1-PI=w1000-h750-no

All my instruments are at the helm. None low and certainly not high. The only reason one would want them above the window is if there was no room left below. That’s for airplanes not boats. It appears some think lots of instruments will impress people so they have too many. If I had to put them high (for having too little space like on a small boat) I’d choose instruments I rarely look at like an hourmeter. But I’m not likely to have too many even though I don’t have multiple displays. Prefer all to be stand alone .. for one purpose only.

Didn't work as shown.

Remove the little 6 just after the helm and it will work

All my instruments are at the helm. None low and certainly not high. The only reason one would want them above the window is if there was no room left below. That’s for airplanes not boats. It appears some think lots of instruments will impress people so they have too many. If I had to put them high (for having too little space like on a small boat) I’d choose instruments I rarely look at like an hourmeter. But I’m not likely to have too many even though I don’t have multiple displays. Prefer all to be stand alone .. for one purpose only.

Depends on the angle of the displays and distance from the helmsman/woman. The pictured set up worked extremely well for us in thousands of miles and hours cruising. Simply had to glance upwards without craning your neck. Not any more effort than glancing down at the engine gauges. On the flying bridge, you glanced sideways. Again our personal preference was not to have electronics cluttering up the view to the real world, or distracting from same. All a matter of personal ergonomics I guess.

caltexflank,
Unless your boating in the NWUSA you’ll prolly get an eyefull of bright sunlight when you look up. And often even w clouds the sun will illuminate the clouds such that light will be coming from everywhere (not just one spot) hence much of the time overcast days will have even more light than most sunny days unless you’re looking directly into the sun. I discovered that in photography w a light meter.

Last edited:
Some of the worst advice I have seen on TF.

There is HUGE research on instrumentation, cockpit ergonomics, etc.......

If you really want a better setup....go where it's been researched...not a couple of personal opinions which may have valid points....or maybe not.

Take into account the angles and bifocals. If you need assistance reading the tiny lettering on some gauges/charts the probably don't want to put the displays in places where you're going to have to make excessive movements to read them. You want stuff that requires regular checking (temps, pressures, etc) in an easy to review position.

For emergencies, make sure GPS coordinates are constantly displayed in a location that's obvious. It may not be you calling for help, make sure they can find it without wasting too much time.

Back
Top Bottom