Dingy lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Looking for lights to use on an inflatable. This is an AB 9.5 ft. would like position lights and all round or tri. Something water proof and easily mounted. Can't find anything. Presently using all round worn on my head, works well but no position lights.
Any thoughts.
Ken

It depends on whether you want to meet the letter of the law or avoid collisions. For me, I mounted an all around white light on a PVC pipe that slides into two PVC conduit clamps on the transom of my dinghy. The light is only one foot above my head while seated. What it accomplishes is to illuminate my dinghy in all directions. Remember, most other boats that you are concerned about, have the operator at a significantly higher position, giving them the ability to see the light and the illuminated interior of your dinghy.

My light isn't from boating, but scuba cave diving 20+ years ago. It uses a 25 watt equivalent LED Christmas tree cluster. You could probably find an all around white light that uses the same bulb. Although not waterproof, being able to remove and stow the light, should negate the need.

I also carry a super bright cave diving light as a hand held spotlight for those getting too close.

Ted

Attachments

• 20200127_064502.jpg
    20200127_064502.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
We have a Navisafe tricolor if we’re in the dinghy after dark. A little pricey but it really lights up. We have the old style that has the magnetic base that I mounted on the OB cover. It’s not mounted very high but everyone who has seen us approach has said there was no mistaking the light and what side is starboard or port. The only down side is I forgot to remove the batteries one summer and trashed it.

IMG_9218.jpeg
IMG_9217.jpeg

I have the same light, just purchased last year. Works very well for me. Bright enough to be seen, but not bright that it blinds me when in the dingy. I mount it on the outboard with the magnet. It does float if it get dropped.

Navi safe works well. Their complete kit includes a rear discountable pole that gets the white light above the operator. The glue on bow mount is nice cus you can quickly detach the lights when not in use. A screw in mount fits on the transom. That said, or most anchorages, the combo P/S/trilight is adequate plus a small good quality tactical flashlight to see where you are going

A tricolor is not a complete set of dinghy lights. You need a bi color on the bow and then an all around white. We have a battery operated set we use, can't remember the brand.

We have been using a mantus tricolor mounted on a removable base on the motor cowling. I know it is not 100% legal, but it works great and satisfies the water cops around here. The light can change from tri to red/green to all round white, so you could get two if you’re concerned about it.

It is rechargeable by either usb or solar. No replaceable batteries to leak. Super good quality.

Whatever you use I would absolutely make sure it is legal. It doesn’t matter if the local LE like it or not, a lot of them don’t know the laws. We used to teach the LE officers in Arizona how to do boardings, etc. surprising how little some of them actually knew. What really matters is if you get in a collision and the lights are not legal then your liability will increase dramatically. So just get lights that meet the legal requirements, it isn’t that difficult.

I have used these

Attachments

• IMG_0161.png
    IMG_0161.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 33
Attwood clamp ons... $35-$40 available at even Walmart.
att14190-7-2.jpg

Navisafe with bi-color bow and tall steaming light stern.

We see very few dinghies with lights. Maybe 1 in 10. Most of those have a single all around white.

Assuming your 9.5-foot long dink is powered AND that we are talking about US Inland rules, you may use a 2-mile visible all around white light or a pair of 1-mile visible side lights and a 2-mile visible stern light. So be sure the lights have a USCG certification stamp somewhere for the intended use AND that the batteries are in good shape. There has been at least one night collision case where the bulbs in the nav lights were even checked to see they were correct.

Assuming your 9.5-foot long dink is powered AND that we are talking about US Inland rules, you may use a 2-mile visible all around white light or a pair of 1-mile visible side lights and a 2-mile visible stern light. So be sure the lights have a USCG certification stamp somewhere for the intended use AND that the batteries are in good shape. There has been at least one night collision case where the bulbs in the nav lights were even checked to see they were correct.

I thought the all around white was only allowed if the dinghy isn't capable of exceeding 7 kts? Otherwise you need an all around white + side lights. Side lights and stern light only (with no forward facing white) wouldn't be valid for a powered dinghy, as that would indicate that you're under sail.

As I said, INLAND rules, Rule 23 (c). The 7 knot rule is International.

And another thought. The all around white light mounted on an outboard, as long as it is not obscured by people is OK, but a tricolor on a swiveling platform seems a bit absurd.

Last edited:
As I said, INLAND rules. The 7 knot rule is International.
I don't see an exception for that in the inland rules. International mentions that under 7 meters and 7 kts you can have an all around white per rule 23(d)(ii). I don't see a corresponding rule at all for inland, only rule 23(c) stating that for under 12 meters you can have an all around white instead of a masthead and stern light. Nothing that exempts you from having side lights except the sections in rule 25 that that allow use of a handheld white light in place of all other lights for sailing or rowing vessels under 7 meters.

Either way, if you go beyond the all around white it would be an all around + side lights, not side + stern.

I don't see an exception for that in the inland rules. International mentions that under 7 meters and 7 kts you can have an all around white per rule 23(d)(ii). I don't see a corresponding rule at all for inland, only rule 23(c) stating that for under 12 meters you can have an all around white instead of a masthead and stern light. Nothing that exempts you from having side lights except the sections in rule 25 that that allow use of a handheld white light in place of all other lights for sailing or rowing vessels under 7 meters.

Either way, if you go beyond the all around white it would be an all around + side lights, not side + stern.
It's there, Inland Rule 23 (c)

—INLAND—Lights and ShapesRULE 23—CONTINUED(c) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may, in lieu ofthe lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit an all-round whitelight and sidelights.

It's there, Inland Rule 23 (c)

—INLAND—Lights and ShapesRULE 23—CONTINUED(c) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may, in lieu ofthe lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit an all-round whitelight and sidelights.
Yup, I saw that one. It's all around AND sidelights though. No allowance for only displaying an all around white with nothing else.

Yup, I saw that one. It's all around AND sidelights though. No allowance for only displaying an all around white with nothing else.
Reading the rules like you are....

OMG! I am so sorry. That's what I get for trying to do this with a 6-month old GGK in my lap. :)

OMG! I am so sorry. That's what I get for trying to do this with a 6-month old GGK in my lap. :)
I was mostly wanting to make sure that there wasn't a detail I was missing, being the non-professional in the room. Having the book in front of me is one thing, but knowing that I've actually interpreted it correctly is important.

I have been struggling with robust dingy lights for years and still can't find anything I like. The dinghy gets rubbed and pulled and scraped and towed so much, and it bounces off the swim step even with snubbers that every time I do port and starboard and bow lights, and then a white light on a pole on the transom -- something is always breaking or cracks or water seeps in and fries the batteries or the housings, etc. Oar knocks off a dingy light and it goes to the bottom. Constant problem.

I have been struggling with robust dingy lights for years and still can't find anything I like. The dinghy gets rubbed and pulled and scraped and towed so much, and it bounces off the swim step even with snubbers that every time I do port and starboard and bow lights, and then a white light on a pole on the transom -- something is always breaking or cracks or water seeps in and fries the batteries or the housings, etc. Oar knocks off a dingy light and it goes to the bottom. Constant problem.
I don't keep our lights on the dinghy all the time for that reason. Most of the time they're dis-mounted and stored in a cabinet on deck on the boat. If we're taking the dinghy out at night or might be out near dusk or other times when we'd need the lights then I either put them in their mounts on the dinghy or I put them in a dry bag to take with us in the dinghy.

I would look for some robust LED lights. They generally are potted in epoxy so they are waterproof. Then run some power wires with shrink connectors so the connections are waterproof too. The mounting is the most difficult part of it.

The clamp on ones (posted above) for smaller tiller steered dinks are probably the most convenient and are very bright for most anchorages...maybe not crossing New York or Norfolk harbors. For larger dinks, especially those with motor batteries, permanents can be nicely done too.

Unless the maximum speed to the dinghy does not exceed 7 knots - In that case, only an all around white light is required.

Unless the maximum speed to the dinghy does not exceed 7 knots - In that case, only an all around white light is required.
Believe as started previously that the 7 knot rule is international rules only. US inland the all arounf white light or hand torch is for sail/human powered vessels only.

US powered dinks inland shall show typical side/masthead/stern or side/all around white lights.

We have been using Navisafe all around white on a pole and tri-color (used in red and green only mode) on the bow of our 10.5 foot 20+ knot tender for 4 years. They work great. I have never found anything better. Bring spare batteries, they do seem to use a lot of power...

The "tricolor" light is legal on sailing vessels only, and that means being propelled by sails alone, no motor. If being propelled by machinery, the masthead light should be at least one meter higher than the side lights. The tricolor can't do that. There is an allowance for closer spacing if one meter isn't practical, but it still must be visibly higher.

We have been using Navisafe all around white on a pole and tri-color (used in red and green only mode) on the bow of our 10.5 foot 20+ knot tender for 4 years. They work great. I have never found anything better. Bring spare batteries, they do seem to use a lot of power...
They do make a very nice light, and I looked very closely at them before buying the Matntus. The one thing, and it is a big one, that makes the Mantus better is the battery set up. They are rechargable either via usb or their own small solar panel. Throwaway batteries are just too big of a risk for failure and/or leakage (which often ruins the expensive equipment they are powering).

I leave my Mantus on the engine cowling all of the time and never charge it via usb. It has always had power every time I have turned it on. Here is a link.

Back
Top Bottom