Diesel news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly Pete all your doing is moving the exhaust pipe to the power station , and the loss of energy in displacing the Exhaust and distance of transmission is extreme in energy loss, let alone storage loss of same.

Conveniently leaving out the 50% loss rate from using the fuel in vehicles? Quite a lot of the energy in the fuel gets wasted as heat. Much easier to manage the pollution and recover the heat at a power generating plant than it is out in millions of vehicles.

All this talk of nuclear, what about Mr. Fusion?
mr-fusion-back-to-the-future.jpg

As we know ships and submarines are nuclear powered it’s just all about negative scaleabllilty to first super yachts and then hopefully the leisure market, it’s really the only hope for us humans who like our modern luxurious lifestyles long term.
RR is working on factory size reactors, time and need will force the scaleable size of reactors.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovation/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...ping-reactor-tiny-fit-shipping-container.html

https://crosscut.com/news/2022/09/central-wa-eyeing-nuclear-power-again-smaller-scale
So you do realize that nuclear reactors merely create steam. Something has to turn that steam into mechanical energy. Steam turbines and pressure piping built and maintained to ASME code on a recreational vessel?

Ha!

We won’t be around for John Q Public owning a private fission reactor. Too, too, far away.

..... I build E bikes and you would not believe the amount of people who ask if the battery charges while you ride.....

Some of Rad's bikes charge if you pedal ( or coast ) over the governed speed and they will also charge during braking.

I never think of going after the oil companies. They do all the work for a pittance in profits compared to what governments make off the oil they produce. Governments really have no incentive for cheap oil..

I honestly don't know if this is sarcasm or not. Oil companies made record profits when prices went up. As for governments motivation.....what politician wouldn't want to be the person that said "I lowered oil prices by 25%" ??? I'm not favoring or criticizing any party, ( so mods please don't shoot me )

Last edited:
Whether accidental, inentional or criminial, there is enough discharge of oily bilge water, human waste and fuel into the ocean. I don't want to depend on the average boater and a y-valve to keep radioactive cooling water out of the oceans.

I think battery technology is going to continue to get better and I think the next big advancement in boating is going to be hydrofoils. These American's Cup cats are reaching 60 mph/100kmph. I can see the day when you use electric thrusters for docking and then you get out to the runway like a pilot would...hit the throttles to get up on your foils.....and then cruise to your destination on a fraction of the horsepower required today. In other words if you can't get batteries to give you 1000 mile range in a current hull, change the hull.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Remember the "gas crisis" and the "imminent ice age" hype of the 60's? NOT saying the current situation is yet another doom scenario and there ARE very serious issues on several fronts (climate change, social unrest, disease epidemics, floods, drought,food shortages...I could go on) but MY approach is to live day by day and not get wrapped up in what the media presents. There will be plenty of time to worry about a cataclysm(s) if and when it/they happen(s).

Edit: Mr. B2. And plastics...

The real question is why we would sell any oil out of the strategic oil supply.

You also have to wonder why we would be exporting billions of gallons of oil from the US and then importing billions more from other countries.

A lot of people are making a ton of money in this country exporting and importing, playing a shell game to prevent paying taxes.

Leading economist can not give a legitimate answer to this. If we want to lower prices ban all exports of oil from the US. We have more than enough for the next thousand plus years.

It’s the only way forward in the big picture Imo, sure it might not be powering our trawlers in our life time, but it will be powering my sons in his cruising years, first it will be nuclear to create hydrogen and then replace the hydrogen with direct nuclear power source on board trawlers of course given the fullness of time, there really is no other feasible option pending and humans have to take the next step it’s just in our nature to ponder and explore the fringe.

It’s the only way forward in the big picture Imo, sure it might not be powering our trawlers in our life time, but it will be powering my sons in his cruising years, first it will be nuclear to create hydrogen and then replace the hydrogen with direct nuclear power source on board trawlers of course given the fullness of time, there really is no other feasible option pending and humans have to take the next step it’s just in our nature to ponder and explore the fringe.
The only nuclear power source we will be using between now and the very
distant future is already operating at a fairly safe distance of 93 million miles.

Currently there are 440 nuclear power plants operating and 55 under construction. Thorium used in place of enriched uranium holds great promise from the standpoint of much easier waste disposal and the ability to be mixed with current waste and de-toxify it.

Fifty years out for commercial usage on a large scale basis with China leading the way at this time. India is pursuing aggressively too.

You also have to wonder why we would be exporting billions of gallons of oil from the US and then importing billions more from other countries.

A lot of people are making a ton of money in this country exporting and importing, playing a shell game to prevent paying taxes.

Leading economist can not give a legitimate answer to this. If we want to lower prices ban all exports of oil from the US. We have more than enough for the next thousand plus years.

Doesn’t need to stay in US to funnel into the market to lower prices according to several sources. If we want lower prices then increase supply to refineries as long as finished product gets to market.

The process is broadly outlined in this old link below.

https://www.factcheck.org/2022/07/u...eum-reserve-to-the-highest-bidding-companies/

I agree that if we can actually refine it here then it makes sense to keep it here.

The United States imports about 8.47 million barrels per day and exports 8.6 million barrels per day. We have refineries, so why not eliminate the 8.6 million barrels exported daily and have a surplus? It must be a tax reasoning?

The United States imports about 8.47 million barrels per day and exports 8.6 million barrels per day. We have refineries, so why not eliminate the 8.6 million barrels exported daily and have a surplus? It must be a tax reasoning?

Oil is not consumed directly.**It must be refined in order to make our everyday products.*

The viscosity (or thickness) of oil can either be light or heavy.*

That largely determines the process needed to refine it into fuel and other products.**

America’s fracking boom mostly produced light crude oil.*

Yet, many refineries are not equipped to distill the oil coming from the Gulf Coast.**

However that same equipment is capable of processing heavy oil – which is why the U.S. imports heavy oil to make use of the infrastructure.**

Companies would need to spend a lot of money to reconfigure their refineries, which is an investment many companies might not be willing to make.*

Source https://www.newsy.com/stories/why-the-u-s-imports-foreign-oil/

I've seen this before in other sources as well.

There is a very simple and easy answer as to why we are draining our strategic oil reserves that will have to be replenished eventually at higher prices. You might think that we can replenish them when oil drops in price, but if/when that happens, you now have the govt competing with the public which in turn raises prices. I'll withold my opinion on why it's being done, but it's not hard to figure out. Same with suspending gas taxes to artifically lower the price. Hard to imagine that is a sound long-term policy as that lost revenue will also need to be recovered.

Wanna hear me scream?
Replace the naval reserve with higher priced foreign oil.

So the talk now is the east coast is going to be hit with diesel shortages. Behind the scenes they are trying to figure out how they can transport diesel from one location to the other as the amount of diesel in the area gets lower and lower.

Eli

I can only address the east coast.
All ia well on the ICW

Eli, took your advice and googled "diesel shortage" I got what I already told you on the first link.
"Inventories of diesel and gasoline are down below five-year averages, and if the entire world were to stop, we would have 25 days worth of diesel. But the world doesn't stop. We're not counting on it stopping," Ed Hirs, a professor of energy economics at the University of Houston, told CBS MoneyWatch

Back
Top Bottom