Defever 44 alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darian1

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of looking for a suitable trawler as a family cruiser. We have a our skippers license, have done a few international charters and have a sailboat which we do weekends and holidays on, so we are comfortable boaters.

We are planning on cruising to Bahamas, Caribbean and great loop over the next few years. We ready like the Defever 44, mainly large aft deck, galley up, large engine room, stabilizers and long range capabilities.

I can't find any other boats that tick all those boxes and are under 45ft and $200k. Are there any others which have the same features we should look out for?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Sold a Cheoy Lee 46' this past spring. Rare but superior to a Defever IMHO.

Your budget may be a bit low for a DF in good condition. Stabilized adds more $ too.

Tollycraft 44 CPMY is a popular loop boat.

I am of the saying, a good boat is one that can entertain many but only sleep 2

Thanks everyone for their replies! It seems the combination of galley up and huge flush aft deck is very rare. It seems that the Defever 44s are far more expensive than similar models of the same size and age, has that always been the case? Or is it a demand and supply situation?

Tollycraft 44 CPMY is a popular loop boat.

I am of the saying, a good boat is one that can entertain many but only sleep 2

I have a Tollycraft 44 and love it, but it's definitely not on par with a DeFever 44. The Tolly probably has 40% less interior volume and weighs at least 8 tons less than the DF44.

Thanks everyone for their replies! It seems the combination of galley up and huge flush aft deck is very rare. It seems that the Defever 44s are far more expensive than similar models of the same size and age, has that always been the case? Or is it a demand and supply situation?

For the discerning boater DeFever’s design, machinery space and ruggedness are appreciated. Broaden your look at other DF models for similar attributes.

And yes, demand is high and supply few especially for well tended vessels. Many are sold in private transactions. Every boat is for sale eventually. Walk the docks and look for that special one. Then chase down the details via a door knock.

You might consider the boat that the defever is a copy of. A Grand Banks 42 Motoryacht. The original GB trawler, like mine, is the one with a flush deck all around and are called Heritage Classic. That is a perfect boat for looping. We looped in our 42.

This one is outside your price range and I would imagine geographical ranhe but they do come up for sale from time to time. The one in the ad has twin berths but they habe them with island queens.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1996-grand-banks-42-motoryacht-8373700/

IMG_0251.jpg

Last edited:
I re read my post above and meant to say a 40 foot trawler is the perfect boat for looping, did not mean to imply mine is. I love my boat but I'm not quite that arrogant.

You might consider the boat that the defever is a copy of. A Grand Banks 42 Motoryacht. The original GB trawler, like mine, is the one with a flush deck all around and are called Heritage Classic. That is a perfect boat for looping. We looped in our 42.

This one is outside your price range and I would imagine geographical ranhe but they do come up for sale from time to time. The one in the ad has twin berths but they habe them with island queens.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1996-grand-banks-42-motoryacht-8373700/

View attachment 139618

Thanks, will do some research, they look like awesome boats

For the discerning boater DeFever’s design, machinery space and ruggedness are appreciated. Broaden your look at other DF models for similar attributes.

And yes, demand is high and supply few especially for well tended vessels. Many are sold in private transactions. Every boat is for sale eventually. Walk the docks and look for that special one. Then chase down the details via a door knock.

Thanks, that is great advice, I see the Defever 43 also looks great and far cheaper so also an option if I can find one with low engine hours.

Check out an Island Gypsy 44.

Yes, DeFever 44s are well-built, very popular boats. And a limited commodity since DeFevers are no longer being built. I suggest you join

the DeFevers Cruisers Association; for-sale boats are often posted there, "within the family", first.

Sailing in the Caribean ?

You are going to need stabilizers, so I think I would change my search into: 'which boat has stabilizers and fits my budget'.
I have a Defever 49, cruising in the Med, but in about 1 month the stabilizers will be installed. Will cost me about 70.000 total, but to be honest, cruising here without stabilizers is simply not fun anymore. Everyone sick on board, everything thrown through the boat while underway. Have had enough of that, should have bought a boat with stabilizers !

Back
Top Bottom