Borg Warner makes a "klonk" sound when it goes in to reverse.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i found out that if i push the gear into forward and to neutral and then to forward again there is no problem, the same goes for reverse, but the first time it goes from neutral to either forward or reverse it makes a big klonk sound. The blades of an autoprop does not have a stop, they can turn 360 degree endlessly..
I just had a look at the Autoprop web site and they say the blades turn through 180 degrees. Autoprop - Bruntons Propellers

Again, not specific to Brunton, but in my experience well used feathering props can wear and get sloppy. Hard to tell from your description whether yours is operating normally or not.

It doesn't sound like a gearbox issue to me. I'd have someone qualified inspect the prop on the next haul.

I'm not sure whether you've visited Cruiser Forum, but there are many experienced voices there with hands on experience with that prop.

I just had a look at the Autoprop web site and they say the blades turn through 180 degrees. Autoprop - Bruntons Propellers

Again, not specific to Brunton, but in my experience well used feathering props can wear and get sloppy. Hard to tell from your description whether yours is operating normally or not.

It doesn't sound like a gearbox issue to me. I'd have someone qualified inspect the prop on the next haul.

I'm not sure whether you've visited Cruiser Forum, but there are many experienced voices there with hands on experience with that prop.
Thanks, i will try that forum!

It makes perfect sense that the clunk doesn’t happen when going fwd-neut-fwd, or rev-neut-rev. The blades have already shifted to their stops. When you change direction they need to rotate to the new position and when they hit the stops it clunks. The higher the idle speed the louder the clunk will be.

It makes perfect sense that the clunk doesn’t happen when going fwd-neut-fwd, or rev-neut-rev. The blades have already shifted to their stops. When you change direction they need to rotate to the new position and when they hit the stops it clunks. The higher the idle speed the louder the clunk will be.
Well, the klonk can`t come from the prop because the blades can run 360 degre, it´s an an autoprop. But i found out that the prop is to big, so the resistance is to great and that properly makes the noise..

I thought the blades travel 180 degrees. That would lead me to believe there is a physical stop at the end of the travel.
Are you certain they rotate 360?

I thought the blades travel 180 degrees. That would lead me to believe there is a physical stop at the end of the travel.
Are you certain they rotate 360?
Yes, every blade can rotate freely 360 degree, so it will adjust the pitch i relation to the RPM.

I'd expect the clunk is coming from either the reduction unit on the trans or the damper plate when it encounters a sudden change in load while the blades flip to the correct position. A single clunk on shifting at idle power is unlikely to be harmful, just annoying.

I'd expect the clunk is coming from either the reduction unit on the trans or the damper plate when it encounters a sudden change in load while the blades flip to the correct position. A single clunk on shifting at idle power is unlikely to be harmful, just annoying.
Yeah I think your right, but it sure sounds bad!

Yeah I think your right, but it sure sounds bad!
If you want a really unnerving sound from a Velvet Drive, wait until the day you hear someone put one in gear with the engine idle set too low or an engine that's idling too rough. The rattling noise from the damper plate in that situation will have you wondering if your shaft is rattling around in the struts until you realize it's from the trans.

Hi,
I have a problem with my Borg Warner gearbox. It makes a big noise "klonk" sound when i put it in reverse. The engine is a Ford Lehman 2725E.
I have changed the damper plate, changed the gear oil, but it does not help. No problem when i go in forward.
If anybody have a solution to this problem i would much appreciate to here from you :)
My ship is not a Trawler, but a 1984 Nauticat motorsailer 40 ft.
Check your shaft connection to your transmission. If you can easily twist it, that is your source.

Check your shaft connection to your transmission. If you can easily twist it, that is your source.
What do you mean? when transmission in neutral? The shaft is connected to transmission, so it should not be a problem to twist the shaft when in neutral..

Back
Top Bottom