Best Windows for Neah Bay to Astoria and Back at 7.5 kts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
Plans for Alaska have fallen through for this year, putting off to next, so am looking to an alternative challenge: single handing the boat from Seattle to Portland. My spouse--who likes the destination, not the journey so much--would meet me in Portland for cruising on the Columbia and Snake.

I have done plenty of research on this--including a lot of great information on this site--but was seeking the latest TF advice from those who have done this. If you had to pick optimal times in the June through August window, what would you choose? What winds and sea state are your go/no go thresholds (my boat is probably 33,000 lbs displacement, 40' overall, and has no stabilizers). And of course, crossing the Columbia Bar and stops at La Push and Westport. Yes, and instead grabbing a willing friend and just biting the bullet for an overnight offshore.

Thanks to those who do such a great job moderating and managing this invaluable forum.

Jeff

It's all about the wind and swell, the spring can bring lovely calm days that are really long. La Push is marginal at best. I have never stopped at Westport. I jump Neah Bay to inside the Columbia.. and if weather holds do it non stop. Burn a bit more fuel and kick up the speed of you can.. in my mind it's worth every dollar.
Hollywood

Anytime from mid May to late September you'll be able to find good conditions. Very unlikely if you pay any attention to the weather will you encounter conditions that threaten the boat and your safety. Comfort is another matter and entirely up to you what wave height and wind speed will be your limits.

Agree with Hollywood that La Push should be passed. A demanding entrance to a small harbor with little to offer. Scoot on by. Also agree on bumping up the speed if you can.

Don't even think about Willapa. It takes recent local knowledge to safely run that entrance.

I'd plan on being underway from Neah Bay 15 to 30 min before civil twilight, give myself the most daylight hours down the coast and across the bar. I'd try for the Columbia but keep Gray's Harbor in my back pocket if need be.

Crab pots can be a problem. Sometimes you'll crest a swell to see a buoy right in front of you. A constant sharp lookout is required. They tend to be set in lines roughly north / south on a depth contour. If you see pots right in front of you move your course a few hundred yards left or right and you'll likely clear that string of pots. Some of the buoys are covered in marine growth and very dark, hard to see.

A bit of advice on crossing west coast bars. Apologies in advance if I'm telling you things you already know. Time your crossing in bound for flood current. Anytime from slack before the flood to almost slack before the ebb. Too many times I've heard the best time to cross is high water slack. First, high water and slack do not necessarily and often are not at the same time. And most of us for most of the west coast bars do not need high water. Best to think in terms of slack before the flood because it's the current you are interested in.

Most likely your inbound crossings will be later in the day, usually that means an an onshore wind. The warmer the weather inshore the stonger the wind. If that wind meets an ebb current two things happen. The waves get bigger and closer together. And you are slowed by the ebb current meaning you're in the slop longer, not fun.

Great advise. How far offshore is typical to avoid the crab pots?

You need to be in 500’ of water to avoid crab pots. They seem to be at their worst around the 350’ depth contour.

We left Neah Bay on 2 September last year heading South. But we didn't stop until we got to Bodega Harbor, CA. We are heavier than you, and were traveling slower than you probably go. SOG was about 6.3 kts. We do have paravane stabilizers, and used them with the swell out of the West. We went well offshore, at between 40 to 60 miles, so no issues with crab pots, but we saw LOTS of them in waters shallower than 400 feet.

You aren't talking about that long a trip, so your Wx window when departing Neah Bay should cover you for the entire trip. IMHO, Westport is your only real convenient out along that stretch. Breaks up the trip into smaller legs. Also lets you get a read on the Bar report closer to crossing. A delay of a day or three in Westport wouldn't be that bad. You can either anchor just to the SE of the marina entrance, or get a slip. For timing, any time during your suggested time frame would work, provided the 3 day forecast looks good. Best of luck on your trip!

August is known as Fogust by the locals for a reason.... It can and will be socked in along the NW coastal and inland waters late summer and early fall.

Thanks for all this fantastic advice. A recurrent theme in discussions online about this trip is the crab pots as a major hazard. If I do an overnight, then I will have to shift to offshore and deeper water.

That said, if I bump up the throttle just a bit, I can easily make Westport from Neah Bay in daylight in early June (my current preference). Nautical twilight is 3:35 a.m to 10:48 pm, and there is a convenient slack-flood right about late afternoon arrival time. Same for the 40+nm jump from Westport to the Columbia Bar.

And I presume you all are using this NOAA site to tell you conditions well in advance:

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/AllBars

More on this thread as I get closer! Thanks everyone.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom