New Texas Boaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome Aboard and Congrats on the new boat! Let us know if you head south around the bend to Rockport. It's an easy run on the ICW with a few nice stops on the way.

Thanks KneeDeep. I expect we'll get down your way sooner or later, and when we do, I'll give you a shout.

Walked by your boat a couple of times this week. Didn't want to interrupt so I didn't stop. We owned a '86 Present 38 aft cabin trawler. Slightly different from your boat. Went back to a sailboat. Pier 14, slip 16.
Bob

Feel free to stop and say Hello. We kind of stick out like a sore thumb in our current slip, so we're starting to meet quite a few folks. I look forward to meeting you also.

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the boat. We have a 1988 42' Present Motor Yacht - that sounds a bit pretentious - it has a deep keel, cruises at 9-10mph, and sips diesel - sounds like a trawler! We love our Present so far. Bought her about 18 months ago, and have about 120 hrs on her so far. Yep, that view from the flybridge is a bit intimidating at first, but you will get comfortable with it - as has been said, just use it and go slow. A few lessons won't hurt either.

Thanks and congrats on your new boat, too! I didn't see anything pretentious in your statement. You're just stating a fact. :) So far, we've been pretty impressed with our boat. She has some problems, but nothing we can't deal with, so far.

OK, you Present owners, who was the builder? We had a '86 Present 38 and it had the worst gelcoat I've ever run across. The guy who used to buff and wax our old sailboat, way back when, said he was afraid to buff this one because he thought he would go through the gelcoat. It actually showed fiberglass in places. Ours was build by Nautica something in Taiwan.

Sorry to hear about your gelcoat. As far as my novice eyes can tell, ours seems pretty good. I guess time will tell (I hope I don't find out otherwise later on).
I haven't done a whole lot of research on the builder. I did read that the importer (dealer?) was a guy named Mr. Present, who's first name escapes me at the moment. I believe he was up in New York or somewhere in the northeast. When I find time, I'll do more research.

OK, you Present owners, who was the builder? We had a '86 Present 38 and it had the worst gelcoat I've ever run across. The guy who used to buff and wax our old sailboat, way back when, said he was afraid to buff this one because he thought he would go through the gelcoat. It actually showed fiberglass in places. Ours was build by Nautica something in Taiwan.

I am pretty sure it was Chung Hwa Boatworks...hence the CHB moniker. Now how that company or yard worked, I do not know. I do believe the model of Present you had was built in a different yard and totally different boat. I think it may have even had a planing hull versus S/D. Anyway, I think it is same importer, different builder.

Welcome RC! Nice to see so many respond from Texas and TMCA.

Since Easter at Moody was COVED-out, lets hope that Harborwalk weekend can go as scheduled!

Hello All,

This is my first post on TF, after nine long years of lurking. My wife and I are the new owners of "Rhapsody", a 1986 Present Yachts 38 Sundeck MY with twin Perkins 6.3544M NA's. We started this adventure a week ago. So far, so good.

Our initial cruising grounds will be Galveston Bay and the Texas Coast, with hopes that we will be able to stretch it out some from there. Who knows, maybe the Loop could be in our future someday.

We are as close to complete newbies as there can be. We've never owned a boat before now, but I have some experience with ski boats and center-console fishing boats. Needless to say, the learning curve is looking pretty steep right now, but the knowledge that we have garnered on TF has given us confidence that we're going to do just fine going forward (baby steps and Safety First!). Just buying the boat is evidence of what we've been able to absorb here. The knowledge gained from the great people on TF made the purchase process nearly seamless and painless. In fact, I believe we got a darn good deal because of the confidence we had going into negotiations.

I would like to thank everyone here for giving their time to share boating knowledge and experiences. I would also like to give a special thanks to the moderators for creating and maintaining such a great forum.

I'm looking forward to joining the boating community and getting to know you all, physically and in cyberspace.
Those Perkins are excellent engines. My previous boat had a single range 4 with over 7000 hours.
Trans Atlantic Diesel is an exceptional source for spares, and info.

Congrats on a beautiful boat, I can see why Baker has been lusting over it. Looks like the perfect boat for the kind of cruising we do around here. We are over in Waterford, but they let us over on Dock 1 from time to time on the weekends... Enjoy!!!

Welcome RC! Nice to see so many respond from Texas and TMCA.

Since Easter at Moody was COVED-out, lets hope that Harborwalk weekend can go as scheduled!
Thanks. Hopefully everything will get back to normal(ish) soon.

Those Perkins are excellent engines. My previous boat had a single range 4 with over 7000 hours.
Trans Atlantic Diesel is an exceptional source for spares, and info.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure hoping the Perkins' are as good as everyone thinks they are. The Perks were a big reason why we bought this boat, rather than a Marine Trader with Volvo's.

nice boat,and nice engines, have fun, david
Thanks.

Congrats on a beautiful boat, I can see why Baker has been lusting over it. Looks like the perfect boat for the kind of cruising we do around here. We are over in Waterford, but they let us over on Dock 1 from time to time on the weekends... Enjoy!!!
Thanks. Hope to see you around the docks, lake, and bay.

Back
Top Bottom