No theft prevention on MS400?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Engine key

My Mainship 430 doesn’t have a key for the engines either. It does have toggle switches on the main breaker panel. I turn them off and then lock the doors going into salon. I also agree with the others that a boat that size normally doesn’t get stolen. But, you don’t want to be the first one.

My Mainship 430 doesn’t have a key for the engines either. It does have toggle switches on the main breaker panel. I turn them off and then lock the doors going into salon. I also agree with the others that a boat that size normally doesn’t get stolen. But, you don’t want to be the first one.

I think the key lock on my AT is made by Briggs and Stratton. Unscrew the retaining nut, lift out of the hole and jumper the the switch. SHRUG

As pointed out in a previous post, someone steal my boat? They either like a slow ride or dont know what they are stealing. LOL

My twin diesels had no key switch to “keep a honest man honest” so I installed a battery disconnect switch in the covers on both of my battery banks.

Bought them from Summit Racing for less than $20 each. Keys are locked in switch when in ON position, and key can be removed in OFF position.

Same as you would see on construction equipment, stock cars, etc. Can be installed on positive or ground side of batteries. They come in various amp ratings as needed. Higher amperage, higher price.

Mine were 150 amp each made by Hella. I thought about just wiring into my starter power leads only at first, but decided to just disconnect everything in case I forget to shut down everything and drain down my batteries.

Theft points noted. Although, Thieves steal things now days that are even bolted or chained. They are not all as smart as this crowd. Lol. I was in AK some years back and heard a bulletin reporting a stolen sailboat in the US headed into Canada. It eventually made it to Alaska without being caught. Bob’s your Uncle!

We've lived aboard for nearly four years. We never even lock our doors. The cost of the damage that might be done by a determined thief would likely exceed the value of anything that might be carried off. When we had a home in rural Connecticut, used to be a dirt road, we often didn't bother locking our doors. There would have been no one to see or hear a violent break-in so why bother. At home, yes, lock the doors at night.
My twin diesels had no key switch to “keep a honest man honest” so I installed a battery disconnect switch in the covers on both of my battery banks.

Bought them from Summit Racing for less than $20 each. Keys are locked in switch when in ON position, and key can be removed in OFF position.

Same as you would see on construction equipment, stock cars, etc. Can be installed on positive or ground side of batteries. They come in various amp ratings as needed. Higher amperage, higher price.

Mine were 150 amp each made by Hella. I thought about just wiring into my starter power leads only at first, but decided to just disconnect everything in case I forget to shut down everything and drain down my batteries.

No theft prevention on MS400

This is my first diesel and, to my surprise, it doesn't require a key to start the engines. I just hit a switch and away I go. Is this typical for this size/type of boat or diesels? Should I worry about someone stealing it or going for a joy ride?

What have others done to prevent this?

Just curious.

You are correct, no key. Anyone that knows how to drive can hop aboard and drive away. I agree with many here, don't worry. The bigger issue would be theft of your electronics.

One of my boater friends installed a Ring type security camera connected to the marina's internet. He can see if anyone comes aboard. But if your 50 miles away and someone boards to steal something, they are gone before you can alert the marina. And don't bother calling the police.

You can lock the main salon on a 400. You can also padlock the fly-bridge helm panel to prevent someone from lifting it up to unplug and remove your chart plotter. But locks only keep out honest people.

Again, try and not think the worst in people. Boaters generally are good people. Everybody waives when you drive by. Get to know your neighbors, even if you are there for a few hours or days. They are your best protection.

A hidden fuel shutoff would keep a boat thief from getting anywhere but dead calm. Lol.

Thieves do steal at marinas via motoring/rowing up with their dingy. Seen that popular in waves.

Last edited:
my 390 doesnt have a key either. the master is on the breaker panel.
just make sure that you start and stop the boat from the same station all the time. starting it from the lower station and shutting it off from the upper then means your switches are out of synch. On the 390 they used rockers on the lower and toggles on the upper so just a quick look wont tell you if theyre in synch.
john

More likely they find my spare keys on the boat and steal my SUV.

Just leave it slightly in gear. A thief will never figure that one out. It beat me a couple of times.

I can picture myself frustrated when trying to start it and forgetting that simple trick!!!! Simple case of CRS

Just leave it slightly in gear. A thief will never figure that one out. It beat me a couple of times.

Maybe the best idea yet! Beat me more than I care to admit.

Back
Top Bottom