Bahamas Flotilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a lot of interest.

The reason that I suggested the 2021 time frame was two fold. First, to get the conversation started on what it takes to make an Abaco trip successful and allow folks to get their boat prepared - which for some could take some investment, and allowing that investment over a nice period would be helpful. They may also need to plan on positioning.

Secondly, it is our 40 year anniversary in July of next year so we are looking to take Sonas over to Hope Town, put her on a ball, and then renting a big house ashore for the family to celebrate with us for the week of the anniversary. So for us, 2020 is out for a trip starting in the spring. It will be a June - August cruise.

I am off to Ireland for a month in July (Open golf at Royal Portrush and family visits), but after we get back early August I will start the process of planning and asking for some volunteers for a planning committee.

I saw a comment about the responsibility of leading such a flotilla. The aim here is not about a person or group leading, it is about getting people together, traveling together and allowing flexibility once over there for people to do what they want when they want. Most of the work will be information and initial crossing. So I do not see me or any group being "responsible" for other boats, but rather maximizing the safety, sense of security and enjoyment of the group.

An example would be communicating when people would be looking to return (after two weeks, a month, longer) and allowing them to buddy boat back as well.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I saw a comment about the responsibility of leading such a flotilla. The aim here is not about a person or group leading, it is about getting people together, traveling together and allowing flexibility once over there for people to do what they want when they want. Most of the work will be information and initial crossing. So I do not see me or any group being "responsible" for other boats, but rather maximizing the safety, sense of security and enjoyment of the group.

An example would be communicating when people would be looking to return (after two weeks, a month, longer) and allowing them to buddy boat back as well.

Stay tuned.

Wifey B: Very loose flotilla. Group meeting a certain place at a certain time. Following similar but different routes to get there. Probably returning in smaller groups. Supporting each other but no one in charge, no formality. Maintaining communication in a thread here and over radios. That sort of what you're after? :)

Everyone should hoist the skull and crossbones while traveling in an offensive formation. I wonder if a large group of boats traveling the same way and close together would trigger a visit from the coasties. :pirate::peace:

Pirate_Flag_(6084517123).jpg

Wifey B: Very loose flotilla. Group meeting a certain place at a certain time. Following similar but different routes to get there. Probably returning in smaller groups. Supporting each other but no one in charge, no formality. Maintaining communication in a thread here and over radios. That sort of what you're after? :)

Pretty much, but I would see what everyone needed in the way of support. Some none, some a lot. I would like to think that we would cross in one group or a number of smaller groups, aiming for West End. After that set meeting days and points. For example, four days from now meet at Treasure (marina, ball or anchor), three days after that is Sunday so let's do Nippers (Oyster Bay marina, Fishers Bay ball or anchorage, dinghy from where you are anchored), a couple of days later let's anchor or marina in Marsh, four days after that balls in Hope Town. That kind of thing.

Everyone should hoist the skull and crossbones while traveling in an offensive formation. I wonder if a large group of boats traveling the same way and close together would trigger a visit from the coasties. :pirate:

I would hope to beat them and seize the nicest boat in the fleet :thumb:...

....after all flying that flag indicates you are stateless and under no countries but your own protection (or the fleets if you are lucky..:D)

Plus, not sure how many serious cruisers like that flag, even as a joke...:whistling:

We are newbs as of today, never made the crossing in our trawler. If we were going today what I would "need" is just for someone to know we are out there, someone expecting to hear from us during some designated time frame. If we had another 8 knot boat nearby going over so much the better. Maybe newbs like us leave a couple of hours earlier? If something goes bad I guess we could send Wayfarer's worms for help. They swim pretty slow though.

The trip as described above would be perfect. Do your own thing with some options to meet up for dinner, the day, whatever. We planning on a short cruise in 2020 so hopefully by 2021 we will have some experience and it won't be so new.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "Plus, not sure how many serious cruisers like that flag, even as a joke." Thank you for bringing that up. While NOT what might be considered a "serious cruiser" I take great offense to pirate flags. Given the ongoing acts of piracy, worldwide, it is not appropriate IMO.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "Plus, not sure how many serious cruisers like that flag, even as a joke." Thank you for bringing that up. While NOT what might be considered a "serious cruiser" I take great offense to pirate flags. Given the ongoing acts of piracy, worldwide, it is not appropriate IMO.

I would think that if ever there was a time for the TF burgee to come into play this would be it.

Menzies did you just acquire an assistant, WifeyB?

I see your hardest job is to get Mr. F Fly to attend. I’ve been trying to get him to come to Ft Pierce for a few years to no avail. Good luck.

Menzies did you just acquire an assistant, WifeyB?

I see your hardest job is to get Mr. F Fly to attend. I’ve been trying to get him to come to Ft Pierce for a few years to no avail. Good luck.

Wifey B: I'm his translator. :socool:

It's in many ways a lot like Ft. Pierce. Just picking random date examples. June 1-3 West End. June 8-11 Romora Bay, June 15-17 Treasure Cay...just meeting points and times and people can stay less or longer and prior to crossing you know they'll be talk of who is leaving where and when so two or three boats might cross from West Palm on May 28 and two or three from Fort Lauderdale on May 31 and others all different times and groups. Just dinners and activities planned on the official dates and everything else open.

You guys don't go to Ft. Pierce in a group but all get there together and talk about I'll be coming across on X day and I'll be coming down on Y day. All works out. Same place, part of same time, but a lot of flexibility. :)

Are we talking the beginning of May or June? The Lakes are calling and I've got a Superior summer on my mind.

Ted

Ted, I was thinking March to May. Then those who don't have hurricane insurance can come along.

Are we talking the beginning of May or June? The Lakes are calling and I've got a Superior summer on my mind.

Ted

Wifey B: You headed on another loop run? Amazing how few loopers ever see Superior. ;)

Wifey B: You headed on another loop run? Amazing how few loopers ever see Superior. ;)
Don't know if I'll Loop this time or come back down the Hudson. Thinking about The Bahamas maybe ride the Gulf Stream till the weather turns or Moorehead City. Short haulout in the Chesapeake. Up the bay down the Delaware. Up the Jersey coast to NYC and the Hudson. Take the Hudson through Lake Champlain to Sorel. Then down the St. Lawrence through the Rideau canal and the Trent Severn Waterway. Then it's Georgian Bay up to Superior. Trying to figure out if I have enough summer.

Ted

Don't know if I'll Loop this time or come back down the Hudson. Thinking about The Bahamas maybe ride the Gulf Stream till the weather turns or Moorehead City. Short haulout in the Chesapeake. Up the bay down the Delaware. Up the Jersey coast to NYC and the Hudson. Take the Hudson through Lake Champlain to Sorel. Then down the St. Lawrence through the Rideau canal and the Trent Severn Waterway. Then it's Georgian Bay up to Superior. Trying to figure out if I have enough summer.

Ted

That's this year, right?

Ted. You can do anything you want if you can get VSH on a plane. :)

Trying to figure out if I can spend a week or 2 in the Bahamas and then a delivery run to the Hudson. See post #75.

Ted

Sorry, didn't see mention of a delivery - thought it was your own bottom.

Wifey B: Delivery of his own boat on it's own bottom. Delivery run=quick and no sightseeing on the way. Fastest you can get there. :)

No, it's my boat. A delivery run is a term for a quick trip to move a boat to a destination or where you want to start sightseeing. I've been from the Chesapeake to Stuart a dozen times, so moving the boat quickly doesn't mean I'm missing one time opportunities.

Ted

.... it does concern me that the Bahamian government is willing to overlook your record in pursuit of money....

When I worked on a cruise ship that went to Nassau, Bahamian Customs insisted on 4 cartons of cigaretts and 4 bottles of alchohol or our ship would not clear customs for hours and our passengers would not be allowed to embark.

...it was agreed that a sea anchor was deployed from the front (pointy end) to keep a vessel's bow pointed into the wind...

( only because I know RT has a sense of humor....) If your drogue/sea anchor is deployed from the bow, and the motion of the boat is backwards....is the bow still considered the front of the boat ???

As we will be 1st-time Bahamas cruisers, we are up for a loose flotilla or even just cruising with a couple buddy boats. We are aiming for April-May 2020. Right after HealHustler finishes installing our hydrofoils.

LOL. My slide rule says it would take a thus-far, undiscovered level of force to lift that beast out of the water! Of course, you probably don’t remember slide rules.

Not to usurp Menzies authorities as Major Domo but it appears to be a loosely organized route and people can jump in or out at will. Important thing is to have s good safe time.

As we will be 1st-time Bahamas cruisers, we are up for a loose flotilla or even just cruising with a couple buddy boats. We are aiming for April-May 2020. Right after HealHustler finishes installing our hydrofoils.

I won't have hydrofoils but that timing works perfectly for us going over next year. Will be looking for another boat to cruise with for the first time trip. With you having the new hydrofoils maybe we could still go together and you could just circle us the entire way?

Two is reliable company (probably); a flotilla is just more waiting at customs...

but, maybe you can just hand off all the paperwork and passports to the fastest boat.

Back
Top Bottom