1/2 or 5/8 Chain for Krogen 54?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, even rated for 5/8 chain my Windlass shows/slows when it’s starting to pull up on the anchor if it’s really dug in (anything but a lunch stop). It’s easy to just lock the chain, bump her forward and then start lifting again.
I have put extra stress on it when trying to up anchor in very windy conditions. Not sure if anyone has any tricks for that (my only Windlass controls are up front)

Good hand signals to the admiral while she uses thrusters or the engine to position the boat where you want it over the anchor.

For the Kady Krogen 54, I have the following specs:

Length Overall:54'5"
Weight:67,800#

The Rocna sizing guide puts you at a 7/16 G40 chain. Rocna oversizes their recommendations automatically and is geared toward cruisers. I trust their recommendations.

Sizing Guide | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

Sounds like I’ll be doing some hand signal practice this summer :)

Of course is my first consideration was how much loading force my boat can withstand. I have 5/16 g4 for my anchor and that has a working load rating of 3900#. I doubt the cleats will withstand that force. Heck, the bolts holding my Silverton's cleats will be in both tension and shear, I can just visualize one being ripped off the deck before the 5/16 chain breaks. A steel hull is another matter with larger cleats and mounting bolts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom