Thread: New Member!
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Starchanger

City: Bellingham, Wa
Smile

@RT Firefly....thanks for the correction! I'm still learning, and I'm a bit OCD so I actually took the time to look up your suggestion.

This came up as an explanation on another post in the Cruiser Forums (how I found you good folks!)

"Boating Encyclopedia has this to say about the two words:

"Many boaters seem to find the word cabin rather lacking the elegance and significance they associate with their boats. Therefore, they refer to their cabin as a salon, a fancy French term for reception hall or a room filled with perfumed finery.Hairdressers, beauticians, and couturiers have salons; sailors have a saloon. The Encyclopedia of Nautical Knowledge defines a saloon this way: “In a cargo and smaller passenger vessels, the main cabin, or that serving as a dining-room, assembly room, etc.” The Oxford Concise Dictionary describes a saloon as a “public room for first-class or for all passengers on ship.”The only dissonant note is sounded by Webster’s New World Dictionary, which allows the use of both salon and saloon but then confesses that saloon is “specifically, the main social cabin of a passenger ship.” Nevertheless, whereas most sailors use the word saloon, most powerboaters seem to prefer salon.It’s possible that some boaters use the word salon because they don’t want their boats to be associated with saloons where strong alcoholic drinks are served and rough men indulge in fisticuffs. But a better choice than either salon or saloon would be cabin. What could be simpler or more correct?""

As the lady in the mix, I do admit that I would rather be associated with "perfumed finery", but I'm hoping there will be some "strong alcoholic drinks" served, on occasion.

I do hope to avoid any instances of fisticuffs.....
Starchanger is offline   Reply With Quote