Source for 1/2" ID B-1 Rated fuel hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

I thought it would be simple but I cant seem to find a source for this fuel line. This is what I have in my 2001 Mainship390 with Cummins 330hp

Any suggestions? I am in CT and would like to go buy the 13ft I need. Can mailorder if forced.

--Kevin

Defender sells 1/2” A1 fuel hose for about $4 per foot.

Thanks

Defender doesn't list any 1/2" ID fuel hose that I can find, definitely not B-1 rated. And I need B-1 Diesel hose, not A-1 Gasoline/ethanol hose.

Unless you have a specific link I have not found it.

--Kevin

Thanks

Defender doesn't list any 1/2" ID fuel hose that I can find, definitely not B-1 rated. And I need B-1 Diesel hose, not A-1 Gasoline/ethanol hose.

Unless you have a specific link I have not found it.

--Kevin
Send them an email and ask. Or phone them. Even from here i found them responsive.

Defender has a trident 365 hose which looks like it exceeds the B-1 standard I saw. But the outlet store is closed until spring (!)

If I drop everything I could drive up tomorrow afternoon to pick it up. Still hoping to find it closer. I'm an hour away.

--Kevin

The "A" designator means the hose can be used in enclosed spaces, i.e., it passed a 2.5-minute fire test;
The "B" designator means the hose should be used only in open, above deck spaces, i.e., it has not passed a 2.5-minute fire test.
The numerical suffix indicates the suitability for certain applications:
the "1" suffix indicates the hose is designed to have fuel in the hose all the time, i.e., it has low (less) permeability;
the "2" suffix indicates the hose is NOT designed to have fuel in the hose all the time, e.g., used for a tank filler hose; i.e., it has higher (more) permeability;

I have used hoses from eaton or parker hannifin that are hydraulic hoses that are used for oils, diesel and gasoline. Search on eaton hydraulic hoses or parker -hannifin in your area. They are rated for pressures low pressure around 300 psi and a wire wound hose at much higher pressures.

The "A" designator means the hose can be used in enclosed spaces, i.e., it passed a 2.5-minute fire test;
The "B" designator means the hose should be used only in open, above deck spaces, i.e., it has not passed a 2.5-minute fire test.
the "1" suffix indicates the hose is designed to have fuel in the hose all the time, i.e., it has low (less) permeability;
the "2" suffix indicates the hose is NOT designed to have fuel in the hose all the time, e.g., used for a tank filler hose; i.e., it has higher (more) permeability;

Most helpful. Not sure how i saw B-1 was appropriate. Planning to head to defender tomorrow. They have trident 365 which exceeds the a1 spec and is ok inside the boat.

--kevin

Whew! I just redid mine with A1, the original post had me thinking I did it wrong. For a minute. I was sure at the time A1 was the right stuff.

Whew! I just redid mine with A1, the original post had me thinking I did it wrong. For a minute. I was sure at the time A1 was the right stuff.

Yes, the B1 is the wrong hose to use in this application.

I have used hoses from eaton or parker hannifin that are hydraulic hoses that are used for oils, diesel and gasoline. Search on eaton hydraulic hoses or parker -hannifin in your area. They are rated for pressures low pressure around 300 psi and a wire wound hose at much higher pressures.

While those hoses are certainly capable of handling diesel and gasoline, they will lack the proper marine rating printed on the exterior of the hose. A surveyor will be very quick to point this out. They have a keen eye for hoses missing the marine approval regardless of the quality of the hose.
With the way insurance companies spring surprise survey requirements now and then, I try to be sure what I’m using will be approved.

Actually a hydraulic hose suppler is a good location to get USCG, ABS + rated fuel hose. The marine supply stores often handle only a single choice of hose, For example a Trident 100 psi hose. The commercial hydraulic hose suppliers either have or have access to various rated hoses with working from 300 500 or higher. I have on my boat USCG rated hoses with a 1500 psi working pressure. The hoses can tank more abuse that the 100 psi hose: for example abrasion due to engine vibration with a outer layer of a rubber, and steel braid and two different inner layers. Also the hydraulic hose suppliers have the appropriate end fittings to work with the hose pressure rating. You need to tell the supplier you application as a starting point. Various manufactures make the rate fuel hose. The hose has the manufacture type of hose and the USCG approval on the outer surface.

If your fuel hoses are installed in such a way that they are subject to chaffing they are installed improperly.

Actually the hose are well secured. i was offering an example of the hose capability. Having the proper fittings for a particular hose provides the full working pressure capability of the particular hose. There is still lots of vibration that is around an engine so if you don't regularity inspect problems can happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom