Heating Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slainte 1, I think we were both at Hodgdon yachts this summer.:hello: We're in Deltaville Va. now waiting for the completion of the Hurricane heater replacement in our Hatteras 42 LRC (Yes PierreR an LRC). Our boat, an LRC is not well insulated or air tight, ( as evidenced by cool drafts as a strong coldfront passes tonight) originally had a Hurricane heater that the previous owner removed, Zimmerman marine is the east coast distributor for ITR Hurricane heaters so we were hoping for plug and play with the older controls but technology marches on and we're requiring some upgrades in controls and electrical distribution to bring it up to standards and convenience. Supply chain issues :facepalm: have kept us here almost a month, and the weather last week with a week of January temperatures here running 2-3 electric heaters ( 25-30 amps on coldest nights :eek:) have proven we'll need it on the loop. We're hopeful we approaching the finish line.

HelloWe have a Krogen Express 2019 we keep in Florida, as well a 42 steel trawler we keep in Cheboygan MI. New Krogen Express are sold out to 2024, and the distributer has no used vessels in inventory as of this date.

I have never needed much heat in my Krogen so I can’t tell how much you will need.

I have sailed the Great Lakes for 45 years and have some experience there about in all of them. Circumnavigated Superior three times. Won a Rolex at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in Toronto.

May 1st may be early for a departure from Superior WI as your choice is to go out in the main Lake Michigan or go up Green Bay until passing “Port Du Mort” and out in the main lake. Personally I would do that, and hug the north shore of Michigan until Beaver Island or the Straits of Mackinac. As noted earlier, water cold, and may not have much open in the way of marinas and emergency services that early. We once went from St Joseph MI to Port Clinton Ohio that early but had to call ahead to make sure a marina was open so we could get fuel. Not a good time to play anchor out either, but the marinas where we could get fuel let us stay over at the fuel dock free of charge. The Trent Severn is really slow, as well picking through Georgian Bay to avoid shallow water and hard rocks. Very scenic, but the last third of the Trent is basically a ditch through farmland. Quicker to go down Lake Huron, the rivers and across Erie. Make up a fender board for the Welland.

Not knowing the conditions in Maine if you have to add heat to an older boat I would do one of the Chinese knock off of Webasto or Espar. I used hundreds of Espar units in another life but the Chinese were not available and I understand their units are much cheaper. There is not that much room in my Krogen to run any additional heat piping, mine is a three unit system and there is little room to run air over the pilot house to the forward cabin. I think that may make two units necessary at minimum for the salon and the master cabin.

I don’t know but I think the boating season in main is much like the norther Great Lakes, and when we needed heat the gen set could run a while. Carry a good wool blanket like the north woods pioneers, hehehe.

Best of luck

I’m looking at this for me, has an option for water coils, would be very easy to rig up a manual hydronic system with nothing but a pump and an expansion tank if you wanted something a little more manual with nothing to really break. Also you would have a nice winter fireplace in your salon as well if you want the showpiece and enjoy a fire.

HERRING - Diesel / Biodiesel

Another two thumbs up for Wallas. When we replaced our 40Dt with the new Spartan, the guys at ScanMarine said Kevin Sanders was the only boater that had more hours on their unit. And ours had 25,200 hours in 5 years!

We made a video of the new Spartan installation:

https://youtu.be/qGZRqj028AA

That was 2 years ago, and we're still really happy. Anecdotally, it seems more efficient burning fuel (we have filled the heater tank less often than in the past) and it is WAY quieter than the 40Dt was - and it was pretty quiet in the first place.

As far as the Wallas being "big" enough for a 49' Krogen Express (BTU output-wise), I'm not sure. It would be worth a call to ScanMarine in Seattle to have a discussion with them. If they think it wouldn't suffice, they'll let you know.

I’m sure many people have great experiences with Wallas. My two Wallas heaters were nothing but trouble and I won’t ever have another one.

Many fishing boats in AK have diesel galley stoves that are always left on low when not cooking. These keep the boat warm and dry. Easy install except you need an external vent stack. Might work well with a fan forced air flow supplement to the cabin.

Your Trip Out East

Hi John,

Congratulations on your new boat! This is not quite on-topic but should be of use.

I have made the trip from the west coast of Michigan to Maine as part of the Downeast Circle but never got beyond Maine where we are looking forward to our sixth season Downeast. We began our trip in mid May for several reasons. Warmer weather was one but the primary reason was the Trent Severn Waterway does not typically open until around May 20 and for the first month has limited lock hours (usually 10-3:30 on Monday through Thursday, and 9-6:30 Friday through Sunday).

Depending on your objective for the trip, get home quickly or smell the roses, should dictate your route. If the former, then Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Welland Canal, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence and then down to Maine. Note that the Welland requires a crew of three on board. Do not underestimate the Lakes. We have seen worse weather there than in Maine. The routes are not that much different in length but you can make better time on the Lakes. I think we covered close to 2800 miles that summer.

If you choose the smell the roses approach, you could spend the whole season coming home and have an unforgettable trip. An early May departure would work well and give you the opportunity to spend some time in the North Channel and Georgian Bay before arriving at the Waterway. Take the Inside Passage down Georgian Bay for great scenery or just make a 90 mile run straight down to the waterway. Plan on spending around 10 – 14 days for the Trent with the limited lock hours. There are several towns along the way that are worth stopping at … Orillia, Peterborough, Bobcaygeon, and Trenton to name a few.

Kingston is worth a stay for a day or so before heading for the 1000 Islands and the St. Lawrence. An alternative if you choose and are not “locked out” would be to head north on the Rideaux Canal, Ottawa city, and then Montreal which is worth spending time before heading for Quebec and enjoying the historic City (the Yacht Club is a very welcoming place) or the Old Port is great and protected from the Bay of Fundy type tides.

Take a side trip up the Saguanay River to experience the only fjiord in NA and maybe see some whales. The south side of the St. Lawrence is a pleasant coastline with numerous French villages and very hospitable marinas. Gaspe, at the mouth of the St. Lawrence, is worth a couple of days exploration. Then it’s a matter of working south along the coast of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, a possible side trip to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and home to Maine.

I hope you can take the time to make this long trip a once in a lifetime adventure.

PM me and we could arrange to talk more if you are interested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom