Thruster Proper, Prep and Paint.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
Just had a new Side Power external stern thruster installed. Is there any reason to barrier coat before bottom paint or just prime? I live in New England so fouling and barnacles are always an issue. I use Seahawk Biocop for bottom paint and it does a real good job. Thanks

Are you asking about the tunnel or the bronze thruster itself?

I want to know about the tunnel and the entire outer housing. I am thinking at least on the outside barrier coat and bottom paint. The tunnel I just am not sure.

I painted my Sidepower BT gear housing with Interlux 2000 followed by hard bottom paint. The tunnel gets the same treatment as the rest off the hull. Propeller just got hard bottom paint although you could try Barnacle Barrier or even Prop Speed if you had a mind to give them a shot.

I didn’t put a barrier coat on my stern thruster tunnel. Just did the antifouling paint.

My suggestion about painting would be to contact Side Power and ask for their advice. When I used to own a sailboat with a "saildrive", the manufacturer had specific requirements to protect the drive from corrosion caused by interactions with incompatible paints.

I Think the SidePower website mentions minting the tunnel but I dont recall the specifics. I painted my tunnel the same as the rest of the bottom.
I see no negative of putting barrier under the bottom paint. I'm not sure about their gear case and agree contacting them might be your best bet... I've been pleased with their responsiveness to questions.

There is no harm in getting their procedure . I don't want to ruin something due to lack of information. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom