Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Olypen
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Remodeling the Covid Forum

We have had an increasing number of posts in this section of the forum that are wildly off topic, raising hackles and causing an unreasonable level of rancor. It has been disheartening to witness and has reduced the generally pleasant vibe of the Trawler Forum substantially.

Most people have long ago formed opinions and will not be swayed by further debate. This toxic back and forth spills out into other sections of the forum and reduces the helpful and friendly discussion that is the hallmark of the Trawler forum. Your volunteer site team is tired of patrolling the covid playground; quelling dustups that serve no real purpose and we ask for your help as we do some remodeling in the covid forum.

The Covid Forum will remain open but with new regs.

Topics should be directly related to boating and transit issues.

We have closed most old covid topics leaving a few that appear to be on topic and I encourage you to review the restated rules when posting in this section of the forum: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...40&postcount=1

Posts that run afoul of the rules may be deleted without explanation. Older threads and threads that begin to wander off topic will be routinely closed to avoid re-infection.

You can help: There are plenty of fine places on the internet to engage in general debate but we are a boating forum. Help us stay focused on the the thing that we share in common - an interest in boating. When discussions begin to wander astray, make a choice to not engage. Instead, hit the report post button on posts that seem counter to the intent of the covid forum and let the site team manage the issue. Let's get back to discussing boats, brightwork, bottoms and bilges.

Thanks for understanding
Old 07-31-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Good call.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Thank you
Old 07-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
FWT

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Great call.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Excellent, and thank you Janet. Frankly I come here for the boat talk. Even if I agree with you politically, I don't care. You're my boat friends.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have been waiting for this action to re-engage in TF.

Thank you.

ASD
Old 08-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #7

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
Hi Janet H.
I knew you from the sailboat forum..
Now you joined the dark side, like me.

Regards, CSY man.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #8
Guru

It is/was a sub forum in the Harbor Chat section so I also think the new rules are too restrictive.
That is MY opinion.
You can now close this thread if you'd like.

New Port Richey,Fl
Old 08-02-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quite frankly, the entire sub forum should be deleted, and the Covid topic should be on the list with religion and politics. People should be competent enough to do their own research regarding border crossings etc.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
Guru

City: Beverly Hills

The repetitive posts about who is vaxed or who is against being vaxed, endless statistics along with OPINIONS, political jabs, and information best found on other websites not the forum. Please.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #11

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
I agree that the Covid sub forum should be deleted. The are multiple ways to get Covid news. TF is a specialized forum and should remain as such.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
I agree that the Covid sub forum should be deleted. The are multiple ways to get Covid news. TF is a specialized forum and should remain as such.

This has been under consideration but seemed just too draconian. Instead we've opted for a more measured option. There's no owners manual that comes with the moderator stripes... sometimes we have to just try something and see how it goes. We're hoping that TF members can rise above the cesspool of online trolling and use the covid forum as intended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rose.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	119802
Old 08-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We're hoping that TF members can rise above the cesspool of online trolling and use the covid forum as intended.

As long as there's heated discussions such as vaccinations, political parties, religious affiliations, sail vs power, and gas vs diesel, there will be trolling. You can hope until the cows come home, but reality is reality. It will not stop, and it will not be overcome.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
As long as there's heated discussions such as vaccinations, political parties, religious affiliations, sail vs power, and gas vs diesel, there will be trolling. You can hope until the cows come home, but reality is reality. It will not stop, and it will not be overcome.
Covid debate and other covid related discussions that are not directly related to boating and transit will be closed without notice. If they continue and folks can't restrain themselves punitive measures for those involved accounts will be taken. We're hoping that does not happen but are prepared to take these measures.

The choice to post is entirely up to the poster in the same way the choice to drive drunk or taunt the harbormaster is a personal choice (however ill-advised).
Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #15
Guru

Stupid question:

What is trolling?

I do not understand this term.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Stupid question:

What is trolling?

I do not understand this term.
Quote:
Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules
Old 08-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #17
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
To give a "more rounded" (other side of the issue) view/opinion, I am saddened that it ended up this way. While I do agree that the Covid area had issues and some restraint from members and control from the mods was necessary, there was some good information and discussions shared there. There was some value there (I know only about 10%). I learned some things there that helped me better "deal" with this pandemic and opened the door (if you will) to further sources of research that I might not have found or even heard about elsewhere.

Like all topic areas, TF members could decide on their own to view, read, post or not. They are in total control in that regard. No one forces any member to read things (topics) they don't like or aren't interested in! For example, only a few members post regularly on the Welcome Mat! Most members don't seem to bother or are not interested in "meeting/welcoming new members." So be it. Their choice.

I will guess that some of this decision is to "lighten the workload" of the mods and that is fair and understandable. It is a difficult and often thankless job. I have some experience in that type of thing I also agree that this site is for boating. But having a very small "off topic" and not 100% boating related area (there was some good boating specific related info there) for those that want to use it, is, in my humble opinion, not always a bad thing (especially for a topic that so greatly affected us all, even in the boating arena). However, I place as much or more blame on the many posters to the now "banned" topics. It is not just the "mods being draconian", far from it. They gave several warnings.

Again, I find this sad, and somewhat indicative of where society is going in general in terms of controlling, restricting, limiting, influencing, shaping, etc. our communications and even our thoughts. In many ways, we now are being limited (much more than ever before) in what we can say (or at least we have to be very, very, very careful), we can't even engage in a discussion about several subjects even on an academic level (not here on TF just in general). People are being silenced (even well respected subject matter experts) if they don't parrot the "accepted" narrative. Sad indeed.
My intent here is not controversy or even to change this decision (at this point, I tried that already), but just to generate some careful thought and consideration about the ideas presented.
To the mods, thanks for all you do. You are often put in situations where you are "damned if you do and damned if you don't". It is not easy and I get that!!!

I hope no one finds this post too controversial and certainly not "offensive" in any way, as that is not my intent at all.
If I was one of those on the threads that are now banned whose posts "contributed" to this, or if anything I posted offended anyone, please accept my apologies.
I hope this post does not get deleted, as IMHO, it adds to this discussion giving some views that are somewhat "alternative" (in a respectful way) to those posted supporting the decision and even asking for "more".
Thanks.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thank you. I honestly didn't know.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston Area
No one is forced to read a Covid thread, and everyone who goes there knows what they are in for. Didn't the recent active thread have over 200 posts ?? That tells you that people were following and contributing to the topic. If anyone wandered in there by accident they knew what it was all about after reading the first page, and many many people kept coming back. To me, that proves it had value.

I am not sure what capability the mods have, but there should be a way for them to deem a thread off the rails without shutting it down. Some sort of warning box that says "This thread is only tangentially related to boating and contains controversial subject matter, proceed at your own risk"

We have had threads about good books, recomended movies and wristwatches, so I question whether these restrictions are really because covid isn't boating related, but are instead because of the controversial nature of the topic. Perhaps if a thread gets past a certain point it could just be categorized as "unmoderated". I don't want to see the mods' jobs become too time consuming, but I also don't think we need protection from alternate opinions. In fact, hearing from people outside of our own echo chamber might be just what we need to close the divisive gaps in our society, whether they are political, economic geographic or otherwise.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I would not miss the whole misnamed Harbor Chat sub forum if it went away.
Rich,
I agree with most of your posts (in general), but to this I say, then don't look there
Just because you don't like chocolate ice cream doesn't mean it should be banned. Just don't eat it.
Interesting diversity of opinions.
Closed Thread