Where to store gasoline on a Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
3 gallons of gasoline in a Yamaha 15 does not go as far as you'd think. Where do you Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38 owners store extra gasoline? I suppose this could apply to trawlers of all makes.

Are you weight or space limited in the dinghy? If not, would it make sense to either use a bigger tank in the dinghy or make a spot in there for an extra gas can? That would be the easy-button fix that saves needing to store gas somewhere on the boat.

Maybe some tie down straps and strap the gas cans to the swim platform. I buy some ratchet straps with S/S rachets. Had some for years and no rusting but I am in freshwater. I would want the gas outside the boat so if any spills it can’t get into the boat. Since your boat probably doesn’t have ignition protected equipment…

Our dinghy hangs on a Dinghy Butler, so I am wary of adding weight. The swim platform is a good idea. The bridge drains off the edges and that can mean into the cockpit. It's overboard from there too of course.

Our dinghy hangs on a Dinghy Butler, so I am wary of adding weight. The swim platform is a good idea. The bridge drains off the edges and that can mean into the cockpit. It's overboard from there too of course.

How close are you to the rated limit of the dinghy butler? And where in the dinghy does the fuel sit? I've got the tank in the bow of our dinghy with a long fuel line primarily to even out the weight a bit when hanging in davits. Even with only a 6hp on the dinghy and the 3 gallon gas tank and anchor all the way in the bow, the engine end is still the heavy end, so that's the point of concern for lifting weight.

For perspective, the weight difference between a 3 gallon and 6 gallon tank when both are full is about 20 lbs.

For the swim platform option, you could make it look nicer (and less obvious) by making a box with a drain hole and a latching lid. Then that goes on the platform and a gas can sits inside the box.

We have room to spare on the weight limit, but I plan (at least in time) to use up that room to spare with a helm and seat upgrade. It's a Highfield CL310. The 3 gallon tank is already a tight fit in the bow locker; not sure a 6 gallon tank would fit. That extra 20 pounds in the bow would not hurt a thing ride-wise.

The bridge deck seating is all storage beneath with no electronics or wiring of any type. The "boxes" that form the seat are not ventilated, but that could be added. So could spill containment. Is it simply bad practice to store gas contained like that, or is it that Murphy says it will eventually get inside the boat where it would be a very bad thing?

The bridge deck seating is all storage beneath with no electronics or wiring of any type. The "boxes" that form the seat are not ventilated, but that could be added. So could spill containment. Is it simply bad practice to store gas contained like that, or is it that Murphy says it will eventually get inside the boat where it would be a very bad thing?

If fumes would take a path past any windows on the boat before they get down to water level, I'd be worried about just venting the seats and putting gas in there.

I've carried gas Jerry cans in my cockpit. Not ideal, but unless smoking there, pretty safe IMO. I have a two stroke ob, and mix oil in when I fill the cans, then fill my dinghy tank from them on the swim platform or dock.

No smoking and the cockpit is open, at least for now. Might get screens someday, but still plenty open.

We put a deck box on the fore deck. Holds our extra propane tank and up to 22 gallons of extra fuel in 5 gallon and other size tanks. No smoking on the boat, and it would probably be dissipated before it could be a problem anyway.

We have room to spare on the weight limit, but I plan (at least in time) to use up that room to spare with a helm and seat upgrade. It's a Highfield CL310. The 3 gallon tank is already a tight fit in the bow locker; not sure a 6 gallon tank would fit. That extra 20 pounds in the bow would not hurt a thing ride-wise.

Liquid gas may run off but the fumes could work their way inside any opening into the cabin and bilge. Not too likely but I wouldn’t want to bet my life on maybe/maybe nots.

On the outside for sure. No gasoline is ever going inside my boat.

I've got a 2 stroke Johnson for the dingy and I bought one of those good 5 gallon jerry cans (yeah good, $50 each) from Harbor Freight (who would have thunk it) and stored 5 gallons of premix in the cuddy of my last boat. No leaks, no odor at all.

Never store gasoline inside the boat. Never store the engine inside the boat, it still has some gasoline in it.

Not knowing your boat, I can't make specific suggestions, but you want it to be safe and convenient.

I now have an electric outboard, but before that, I stored gas for my dinghy motor in the open cockpit in a sealed gasoline jug.

Since we are talking fumes risk, if you go the route of storing it in or near the cockpit beware of a grill.

I only have a 3 hp dinghy motor so it is pretty conservative on gasoline. However, it has a very small built in tank requiring me to carry extra gas on board. Not ideal but I bungie a three gallon tank to my swim platform.

pete

Store on swim platform in approved plastic containers. Beyond straps would also cover and use spacers between cover and container(s). That would minimize expansion/contraction of air in containers and keep them cooler. Also protects containers from UV.

We put a deck box on the fore deck. Holds our extra propane tank and up to 22 gallons of extra fuel in 5 gallon and other size tanks. No smoking on the boat, and it would probably be dissipated before it could be a problem anyway.

A deck box makes sense. Our foredeck does not have nearly the space of your 50' Beebe, but we have space on the bridge deck for a box. Ours is a propane-free boat (for now anyway), but storing extra gas is something I want to do. Does your deck box have ventilation grates to allow airflow?

A deck box makes sense. Our foredeck does not have nearly the space of your 50' Beebe, but we have space on the bridge deck for a box. Ours is a propane-free boat (for now anyway), but storing extra gas is something I want to do. Does your deck box have ventilation grates to allow airflow?

But where will the fumes go if you have ventilation grates? Is there any path for fumes to get into the boat?

But where will the fumes go if you have ventilation grates? Is there any path for fumes to get into the boat?
Gas fumes aren't like Propane. And slow leaks from modern cans are rare if not overfilled. I don't see them as being particularly dangerous in the absence of open flame.

Both gas and propane fumes are heavier than air so they both will drop.. while leaks may be rare do you want to be the one boat that blows up from a leak? I have seen a gas powered boat blow up and if made a vivid impression on me. There were about a dozen people aboard the boat when it blew up, 4 were killed and 3 or 4 were injured and the rest had no injuries. No telling why some were killed and some walked away, or rather swam away without any significant injuries. IMO you can’t be too careful with either gas or propane on a boat. They aren’t dangerous if you take the proper precautions.

If I left an open bucket of gasoline on the bridge deck, the fumes would just dissipate in the breeze. I wouldn't, of course, but as a conceptual model it mimics what would happen to fumes escaping from vents in a deck box.

Well the fumes may dissipate, or they may not. Do you want to roll the dice?

Murphy would say gas fumes will eventually be a problem. As we are often tied stern to the wind, the fumes may also drift over the transom, into the cockpit, and down into the lazarette. Gasoline being as volatile as it is though, I think it would have to be liquid leaks that cause problems.

Both gas and propane fumes are heavier than air so they both will drop.

I've always recognized that as a key risk for propane. Not sure it's true for gas though. I think gas vapor goes off in all directions. I'm sure it's an easily settled difference.

ETA: gasoline vapor is 3-4 times heavier than air. I stand corrected. It's heavier than propane.

Last edited:
On our H38E, there is space on the floor of the flybridge just between the storage doors on the left of the helm station, and the port-side settee. I keep my extra gas tank there (tied down to the rail at the back of the settee.) It is quite secure there, and out of the way.

Attachments

• Gas tank.jpg
    Gas tank.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 16
We have that space too, Two. Looks like a winner. Our settee up there is actually two rectangular bases. I am considering a polyethylene tub bigger than the size and volume of the gas can to put inside the rear base. That would contain any potential spill, and ventilation in the base itself would vent any vapor from whatever escaped the can.

It would be swim platform for me. Gasoline vapors have a lot of potential energy that I would not want to roll the dice with.

Ken

Yup as said earlier swim platform in approved container(s) and protected from sun. A sailmaker can make a cover that allows good ventilation and keeps it cool.

Mention has been made about "approved containers". I don't know what the responder had in mind , but I recommend a JustRite Type 2 safety can. The cap is spring-loaded and gasketed. The spring tension is VERY stiff. Even with a full can, I have never even gotten a single whiff of gas vapor. With a spout attached, dispensing is drip/spill free, just squeeze the handle. Take a look.

https://www.justrite.com/safety-cans-and-containers

I am completely on board with the hazards of gasoline and will take due precautions to keep it and its vapors outside the boat. The easiest improvement may be to simply replace the 3 gallon tank with a 6 gallon tank and be more diligent about keeping it from running low. Our cruising grounds are hardly remote and that is not a difficult proposition.

That said, at some point in our cruising life, I think it would make sense to have spare dinghy fuel. The ICW through Georgia comes to mind as does the remote parts of Georgian Bay. I'm sure there are plenty of examples when exploring in the dinghy would out pace availability of gas.

Sailboats have tenders too and cruisers in remote areas routinely store both diesel and gasoline in Jerry cans lashed to deck rails. Can it be done safely or do they just accept the risk?

AfricanQueen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom