New Helmsman model - 38 Sedan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We took our OA to Washburn's Yard in Solomons MD yesterday and a Helmsman was on the hard, about 38 feet long to my eye. I didn't check the stern so no idea as to name, almost a Carolina blue hull. Absolutely beautiful boat. Like most TFers, I've been following the Helmsman posts but this was my 1st up close and personal look at the hull, obviously couldn't see the interior, but that hull had the look of a much larger vessel. Now my admiration can turn to envy.

Agree on the importance of hull shape.

I have to say Helmsman gets it, and does a good job of providing views of it. When shopping I was struck with how hard it was to find anything to see on hull shapes of most new boat brands.

Most brands focus on glamor shots featuring Madison Ave models sipping champagne looking wistfully at sunsets, and leave it at that.

"Glamorous Madison Ave models sipping champagne looking wistfully at sunsets'???

I must have missed that on the Helmsman option list. Sign me up!!!!

Attachments

• beautiful-young-woman-with-champagne-flute-looking-away-while-sitting-yacht_120960-3876.jpg
    beautiful-young-woman-with-champagne-flute-looking-away-while-sitting-yacht_120960-3876.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 19
We’re still not sure when delivery of our 38E will take place. Originally scheduled for May 2023(original contract signed December 2021). We were recently told early December 2023 but based on pictures from the factory there’s no way of meeting that schedule. We’re obviously excited about the boat but are becoming increasingly more frustrated. Any suggestions, recommendations and/or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated…thanks
What is your hull number?

Attached are a few pics of the boat out of the water, showing the hull form.

The shape of a hull below the waterline is something of great interest to me, as it determines the performance of a boat. The Helmsman 38 hull has classic semi-displacement styling elements, to my eye reminiscent of some downeast 'lobster' boat hulls like Wilbur. Deep forefoot, full keel, soft chines, transitioning to essentially flat after surfaces that can provide some degree of hydrodynamic lift. Also has very sturdy protection for the prop and rudder with the hefty skeg.
Looks like the prop zinc got coated?

Preview

Here is a teaser view of the second H38 sedan, which should ship in early January. Nick's H38S01 is single cabin version, our H38S02 is a dual cabin version. The interior layout is similar to what's shown on the website. Stretching the cabin by 2' created space forward of the salon table that could be used for a chest freezer outboard and a hanging locker inboard. I will post more pix once the interior and engine room are in final form. The exterior is now done, missing only the radar arch in this photo.

Attachments

• Nearly there 12.15.23.jpg
    Nearly there 12.15.23.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 28
Here is a teaser view of the second H38 sedan, which should ship in early January. Nick's H38S01 is single cabin version, our H38S02 is a dual cabin version. The interior layout is similar to what's shown on the website. Stretching the cabin by 2' created space forward of the salon table that could be used for a chest freezer outboard and a hanging locker inboard. I will post more pix once the interior and engine room are in final form. The exterior is now done, missing only the radar arch in this photo.

Getting closer! Will be great to see pics as it moves along. Thanks for posting it!

Nick. How is your design working out? I am especially interested in your experience with the Sharrow Propeller.

Ric

Congratulations!

What part of the country will you be cruising in?

Nick. How is your design working out? I am especially interested in your experience with the Sharrow Propeller.

I didn't get a Sharrow propeller. Sharrow was not yet making them for inboard engines, and wanted an insane amount of money to custom make one for the boat. Since then they've partnered with Veem. I understand they should start having propellers available for inboard engines sometime in late 2024 (though the rumors are they will cost somewhere north of $15,000 :eek:, making for a very long payoff for the fuel savings!)

I only had a chance to take the boat out a couple of times before pulling it for the winter. With the 550 hp engine the WOT maximum speed we saw was 17.7 knots and a reasonable cruise of about 15 knots (though with eye-popping fuel consumption!), but it's not optimized. I need to tinker with and dial in both trim (larger trim tabs) and prop pitch to maximize efficiency, maybe pick up a knot (or more?) in the process.

I didn't get a Sharrow propeller. Sharrow was not yet making them for inboard engines, and wanted an insane amount of money to custom make one for the boat. Since then they've partnered with Veem. I understand they should start having propellers available for inboard engines sometime in late 2024 (though the rumors are they will cost somewhere north of $15,000 :eek:, making for a very long payoff for the fuel savings!)

I only had a chance to take the boat out a couple of times before pulling it for the winter. With the 550 hp engine the WOT maximum speed we saw was 17.7 knots and a reasonable cruise of about 15 knots (though with eye-popping fuel consumption!), but it's not optimized. I need to tinker with and dial in both trim (larger trim tabs) and prop pitch to maximize efficiency, maybe pick up a knot (or more?) in the process.

I just wanted to congratulate you on "Culmination"! She is beautiful. I very recently received my Helmsman calendars (ordered 2 ended up with 4, if anyone would like one, I'm happy to forward as I don't really need 4, PM me) and your April picture is awesome. Everything about your boat looks perfect. Being a TarHeel in NC, your hull really works for us!

I just wanted to congratulate you on "Culmination"! She is beautiful. I very recently received my Helmsman calendars (ordered 2 ended up with 4, if anyone would like one, I'm happy to forward as I don't really need 4, PM me) and your April picture is awesome. Everything about your boat looks perfect. Being a TarHeel in NC, your hull really works for us!

Thank you very much!

:Thanx:

So have you ordered a sister ship for yourself?

Not yet. My wife and I are attending the Anacortes Boat Show/Trawlerfest in May where we will also charter an American Tug, then return again in September to charter a Helmsman 38E. The majority of this year is planned for training and chartering to help us refine our wants/needs/likes and dislikes. Hopefully, by the fall we will have a clearer picture and be ready to pull the trigger. A comparable blue hull to yours, what we call Carolina blue here, would look great in our port. We are working in that direction.

Not yet. My wife and I are attending the Anacortes Boat Show/Trawlerfest in May where we will also charter an American Tug, then return again in September to charter a Helmsman 38E. The majority of this year is planned for training and chartering to help us refine our wants/needs/likes and dislikes. Hopefully, by the fall we will have a clearer picture and be ready to pull the trigger. A comparable blue hull to yours, what we call Carolina blue here, would look great in our port. We are working in that direction.

That sounds like a very logical, rational, and reasonable approach.

Logic, rationality, and reasonableness rarely apply to boats :lol: At least not with me :rofl:

NIck,

Your comparison of the 38's hull form to downeast boats is something I picked up on a short time back. I've been gazing at 38' Calvin Beals and Osmond Beals boats for retirement and firmly believe if Helmsman ever finished off their 38 hull with a DE design it would be stunning. No question I would be in line to collaborate and purchase a Helmsman DE version. Move out of the way, Wilbur!

BTW, your boat is absolutely stunning in its' own right.

NIck,

Your comparison of the 38's hull form to downeast boats is something I picked up on a short time back. I've been gazing at 38' Calvin Beals and Osmond Beals boats for retirement and firmly believe if Helmsman ever finished off their 38 hull with a DE design it would be stunning. No question I would be in line to collaborate and purchase a Helmsman DE version. Move out of the way, Wilbur!

BTW, your boat is absolutely stunning in its' own right.

Thank you very much Jim.

FWIW, the number of Downeast builders is dwindling. Wilbur seems to have gotten out of the boat building business. I read that Jonesport Shipyard recently bought their equipment and tooling, with ‘Wilbur’ continuing only as a brokerage business.

The Maine built boats are absolutely beautiful and impeccably built. But that quality comes at a price. When I casually asked about the cost of a new Wilbur 38 build before I ordered the Helmsman, I was told it would be about $2 million!!!

The Maine built boats are absolutely beautiful and impeccably built. But that quality comes at a price. When I casually asked about the cost of a new Wilbur 38 build before I ordered the Helmsman, I was told it would be about $2 million!!![/QUOTE]

exactly why I would be so grateful if Helmsman took on the project :)

You are correct about the number of DE builders dwindling...the builder of the Calvin Beals boats (SW Boatworks), Steve Workman, has also recently got out of the business. One of his most notable builds was the "Tuna.com" vessel featured in the Wicked Tuna television series.

Helmsman seems to be on the upswing of their business life-cycle and, justifiably so. They build an incredibly nice boat at a fair price. Who knows what door might open next for them. I wish them much success.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom