The New Helmsman 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The September issue of PassageMaker has an article of the Helmsman 46. It says Hull 1 will be arriving on the west coast this fall. Is that realistic? Any recent photos to share?

Thanks Doug.
The current build schedule has a November completion, so I expect a December Seattle arrival.
Currently, the swimstep, hardtop and ph cover are nearly complete. The top deck mold is finished and being polished. I will post some photos soon.

Haven't posted renders for a while. So, here are a couple of the salon and pretty much settled on the design. We're looking at a December completion. As Hydraulicjump says, 'the waiting is brutal'.

Attachments

• Salon Port View.jpg
    Salon Port View.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Salon1.jpg
    Salon1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 39
The new Kiskadee top deck and hull joined!!

Attachments

• 46 Hull Top Deck 2023-10-30 111318.jpg
    46 Hull Top Deck 2023-10-30 111318.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 43
That is beautiful. Keep the photos coming. We can't wait for the 2024 rendezvous.

Interior fabrication has started. Will post pics soon. Latest on build completion is early February 2024. Seattle arrival early March if build is completed as currently estimated. Patience required!! She’s going to be a beautiful trawler!!

Any update on this? I'd love to see some updated pics of the build.

The current estimate for the H46 build completion is this April. I'm anticipating a May arrival in Seattle. Summer cruising in the PNW looks more and more a reality!! I'll post photos shortly.

The current estimate for the H46 build completion is this April. I'm anticipating a May arrival in Seattle. Summer cruising in the PNW looks more and more a reality!! I'll post photos shortly.

:popcorn:

Looking forward to seeing the updates pics! ;)

Would love to have a brief capsule of your thoughts on the new boat experience when all is said and done...

My apologies for not posting much recently. Construction has been ongoing for a long while, and now pleased to say that the new Kiskadee should be completed in a couple of months. We hope to see her in Seattle this May.
Helmsman provided weekly updates via photos and meetings. Photos always show spaces in construction, tools, plywood, cables, tubing and so on, adding to the clutter. Currently the hull is having Awlgrip applied. The upper decks are in place, and she is starting to look like a trawler. Several parts of the interior are being completed concurrently, according to the designs Van Helker and I worked out during the past months.
Here's an example of a preliminary render of the ph helm station and the build out in progress. The helm instrument panel is being fabricated and will be added shortly. The instrument panel is a winged design. It will hold the MFD's, all switches, gauges, monitoring panels for stabilizers and genset. All switches in easy reach and all instrument panels easy to read from the Captains' chairs.
After she is commissioned, I will put together a summary of the design process and build. I really can't wait to be cruising in the new Kiskadee the PNW this season.

Attachments

• ph render actual.jpg
    ph render actual.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 41
Currently the hull is having Awlgrip applied.

Curious to hear the reasoning on applying Awlgrip to the hull (I assume instead of a gel coat finish) - is this because it is the first hull or a preference over gel coat or some other reason? My apologies if this topic has already been discussed...

Going to be an amazing boat - hope to catch a glimpse of her cruising the Puget Sound this summer!

Curious to hear the reasoning on applying Awlgrip to the hull (I assume instead of a gel coat finish) - is this because it is the first hull or a preference over gel coat or some other reason? My apologies if this topic has already been discussed...

Going to be an amazing boat - hope to catch a glimpse of her cruising the Puget Sound this summer!

Awlgrip was offered by Helmsman at no cost to me, and hull #1 should look as good as possible!! I've never had a boat with it before, so I wanted to try it. From what I've read, and there's a lot of discussion out there, Awlgrip is a stronger coating than gelcoat but some say scratches are not easy to repair. I'll find out since the occasional bump against the dock happens in places where currents and wind are not favorable when docking.

My apologies for not posting much recently. Construction has been ongoing for a long while, and now pleased to say that the new Kiskadee should be completed in a couple of months. We hope to see her in Seattle this May.
Helmsman provided weekly updates via photos and meetings. Photos always show spaces in construction, tools, plywood, cables, tubing and so on, adding to the clutter. Currently the hull is having Awlgrip applied. The upper decks are in place, and she is starting to look like a trawler. Several parts of the interior are being completed concurrently, according to the designs Van Helker and I worked out during the past months.
Here's an example of a preliminary render of the ph helm station and the build out in progress. The helm instrument panel is being fabricated and will be added shortly. The instrument panel is a winged design. It will hold the MFD's, all switches, gauges, monitoring panels for stabilizers and genset. All switches in easy reach and all instrument panels easy to read from the Captains' chairs.
After she is commissioned, I will put together a summary of the design process and build. I really can't wait to be cruising in the new Kiskadee the PNW this season.

I like the helm set up. Will be a great leading boat for the fleet!

Why no pictures of the progress? Just wondering if they dont provide you any visual updates?

Awlgrip was offered by Helmsman at no cost to me, and hull #1 should look as good as possible!! I've never had a boat with it before, so I wanted to try it. From what I've read, and there's a lot of discussion out there, Awlgrip is a stronger coating than gelcoat but some say scratches are not easy to repair. I'll find out since the occasional bump against the dock happens in places where currents and wind are not favorable when docking.

Have you considered Alexseal paint instead of Awlgrip? Alexseal is supposed to be as durable as Awlgrip, but with the ability to blend and repair more easily.

Why no pictures of the progress? Just wondering if they dont provide you any visual updates?

Helmsman does provide weekly updates with photos. All are candid shots which show unfinished, in-progress construction, with tools, etc, and which Helmsman says, are not for publication. Helmsman will ok some photos for publication, and an example is the PH helm station photo on the right side of the render.

Attachments

• ph render actual.jpg
    ph render actual.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 27
Have you considered Alexseal paint instead of Awlgrip? Alexseal is supposed to be as durable as Awlgrip, but with the ability to blend and repair more easily.

Nick: Alexseal wasn't offered, and we didn't discuss any other application.

Helmsman does provide weekly updates with photos. All are candid shots which show unfinished, in-progress construction, with tools, etc, and which Helmsman says, are not for publication. Helmsman will ok some photos for publication, and an example is the PH helm station photo on the right side of the render.
I find the photos helpful to owners when thinking about running wiring or adding accessories.It helps to see whats under the finishes.

I find the photos helpful to owners when thinking about running wiring or adding accessories. It helps to see whats under the finishes.

The update photos also provide an opportunity for questions and clarifications on the fabrication. I am assembling an Owners Manual which will include all the build photos in time sequence. Helmsman provides their version of an operating manual on delivery, which will be incorporated with my document. The final product will take months to complete, as I add photos and text for various maintenance tasks.

Don't mean to hack this thread, but does the Helmsman make any twin engine versions that will get up on plane? Or with a big single? Looks like a great boat otherwise (for us that like to occasionally go fast).

They offer bigger singles for somewhat higher speeds, but even the highest powered versions won't exactly cruise around on plane all day like some of the "fast" trawlers can.

Seevee:
Helmsman trawlers (38E, 43E and 46) are single engine, full displacement vessels. Check out the website (https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/) for standard engines. Our 46 will have a 500 hp John Deere. It's possible that the sedan versions with a lot of HP could plane, and Scott Helker is the person to ask. Scott and I discussed the possibility of having twins on our 46, but he is on the side of a single engine and a full length keel, with skeg, for running gear safety considerations. Scott is always open to variations, but his advice has always been excellent.

Planning

Don't mean to hack this thread, but does the Helmsman make any twin engine versions that will get up on plane? Or with a big single? Looks like a great boat otherwise (for us that like to occasionally go fast).

These hulls are not designed for planning regardless the horsepower. Thier round or soft chines don't help if looking to plan. They are great if you are looking for something a little faster than a FD hull. 7 - 7.5 knot cruising speed is their sweet spot compared to 5.5 - 6.0 knots for a FD hull with the same waterline.

I don't think that's accurate. Helmsman hulls are semi-displacement, with a flatter aft section that let's them get past hull speed, given sufficient horsepower (and willingness to accept the increased fuel consumption). I agree, sweet spot for speed and fuel consumption should be 7.5-8.0 for the H38S, but with 380hp she should get to 12-13kt; there are Passagemaker and other reviews online that show rpm/fuel burn/kts for the 380hp on an J
H37 hull, which is identical to the H38S. With a 550hp, it will do around 17kt, but I'm content with having 12kt in my back pocket for emergencies.

I don't think that's accurate. Helmsman hulls are semi-displacement, with a flatter aft section that let's them get past hull speed, given sufficient horsepower (and willingness to accept the increased fuel consumption). I agree, sweet spot for speed and fuel consumption should be 7.5-8.0 for the H38S, but with 380hp she should get to 12-13kt; there are Passagemaker and other reviews online that show rpm/fuel burn/kts for the 380hp on an J
H37 hull, which is identical to the H38S. With a 550hp, it will do around 17kt, but I'm content with having 12kt in my back pocket for emergencies.

Thanks Ric, the Helmsmans are semi displacement hulls. I was mistaken. My 38E had a 380 HP Cummins and at 2100 RPM, I hit 12kts. I usually cruised at around 6-7 kts which gave a pretty economical fuel burn.

Seevee:
Helmsman trawlers (38E, 43E and 46) are single engine, full displacement vessels. Check out the website (https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/) for standard engines. Our 46 will have a 500 hp John Deere. It's possible that the sedan versions with a lot of HP could plane, and Scott Helker is the person to ask. Scott and I discussed the possibility of having twins on our 46, but he is on the side of a single engine and a full length keel, with skeg, for running gear safety considerations. Scott is always open to variations, but his advice has always been excellent.

To second Ric's comment, the Helmsman 38 hull is indeed semi-displacement. To my eye the hull lines and dimensions are actually very similar to the Wilbur 38. As with similar 'downeast' hulls the flat aft sections generate some lift, provided there's enough power to do so.

Many downeast 'lobster' boats are also soft chine, and achieve speeds in the teens or low 20's nonetheless. The Helmsman 38 also has a full length chine extension that helps with waterflow separation.

I own hull #1 of the new 38 Sedan, with a 550 hp Cummins 6.7 engine. It still needs to be dialed in, new larger trim tabs and prop tuning. Unoptimized it achieved a WOT speed of 17.7 knots, and easy cruise of 15.4 knots. FWIW I've spoken with several prop engineers who have modeled the hull and powertrain, and predict with an optimizied prop a WOT speed of 20 knots should be possible.

Back
Top Bottom