Old 11-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #1101

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Great suggestions. It's still a work in progress and will continue to be until we finally connect with Alba Bella and start learning the boat. I have a list of checklists I want to add.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:38 PM   #1102
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Hi.. I assume there is a location in the master bath. Looking at the pics, maybe a custom board to fit across the sink if the height of 17.4" + board fits. Could hang it off of a towel rack. I don't know if there is a A/C outlet there, but I assume so.
Worst case is to dump the tank from time to time.

I may have a few hours to cancel the 2nd one. So if you think it wont work or the 2nd unit isn't necessary, let me know.

What are you doing for the engine room? Any engine room heaters of dehumidifiers?

I am pretty sure that there is an outlet in there. If it pumps up high enough i guess you could leave it in the floor.

I am not sure about the engine room. The boat will be in cold weather for a couple of months, albeit north Mississippi and Alabama while we finish getting it where we want it. I am not too concerned about the engine room this winter because the water will keep it warmer than freezing in there. For periods when I am away from the boat, we will put a cover over the engine room vents. I will also probably drain the fresh water, and possibly run AF through the HVAC.

Receiving a boat just prior to the two coldest months does create some thought about what to do. I would prefer to run the boat, But will need to balance that against being a couple or three hours away.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #1103
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
The attached might be a useful starting point for creating check lists. I'll emphasize "lists" plural. You will see there are a number of them covering different situations like arriving at a dock vs anchoring, departing from a dock vs from anchor, leaving the boat for an extended time. Cold weather vs warm weather, transferring fuel, hauling out, etc. I'm not a pilot but got this from one and I gather the "challenge - response" format comes from aviation. So it's not a list of things to do, but rather a list of questions and the correct answer.
Attached Files
File Type: doc N6837Checklists.doc (39.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #1104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The attached might be a useful starting point for creating check lists. I'll emphasize "lists" plural. You will see there are a number of them covering different situations like arriving at a dock vs anchoring, departing from a dock vs from anchor, leaving the boat for an extended time. Cold weather vs warm weather, transferring fuel, hauling out, etc. I'm not a pilot but got this from one and I gather the "challenge - response" format comes from aviation. So it's not a list of things to do, but rather a list of questions and the correct answer.

Hey TT, Thanks for posting this checklist. I will go through the one I am developing and check against this. Your boat is a little more complex than ours, but still plenty of good items to incorporate.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #1105

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Hey all, two answers to the previous posts:

1) We got around the challenge of referring to our last boat as “the boat”, by naming it La Barka, with the “k” an homage to our barky dogs. I thought it was funny, but no one seemed to get it. Such is the way with boats. Everyone seems to get the current boat’s name: “Off Leash”.

2) the Scott-approved dehumidifier works so well in our boat that we have gone with only one of these units. We put it on a small step stool at the base of the steps down into the master stateroom. This is to give enough head so that the discharge tube will drain easily into the shower (no low spots), and it will circulate air to the rest of the boat. This is risky, however, since there can be challenges with the shower sump pump (probably worth a Helmsman Hack discussion), but we have a friend who checks on the boat regularly and all is working well. We augment the dehumidifier with two Caframo air circulators: one in the salon and one in the day head.

BTW: belated Happy Thanksgiving to the Helmsman Clan!

Jeff and Barbara
Old 11-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #1106

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
[QUOTE=Hydraulicjump;1138089]Hey all, two answers to the previous posts:

1) We got around the challenge of referring to our last boat as “the boat”, by naming it La Barka, with the “k” an homage to our barky dogs. I thought it was funny, but no one seemed to get it. Such is the way with boats. Everyone seems to get the current boat’s name: “Off Leash”.

2) the Scott-approved dehumidifier works so well in our boat that we have gone with only one of these units. We put it on a small step stool at the base of the steps down into the master stateroom. This is to give enough head so that the discharge tube will drain easily into the shower (no low spots), and it will circulate air to the rest of the boat. This is risky, however, since there can be challenges with the shower sump pump (probably worth a Helmsman Hack discussion), but we have a friend who checks on the boat regularly and all is working well. We augment the dehumidifier with two Caframo air circulators: one in the salon and one in the day head.

BTW: belated Happy Thanksgiving to the Helmsman Clan!

Jeff and Barbara[/QUOTE

Thank you for the update! Are you adding any heat to your engine room and /or keeping the engine room hatch open as well? Of course you can get 100's of opinions on this subject. Hard to know which way to go! Sounds like you have had great times with your new boat! Love the name! N and L
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:02 PM   #1107
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Hi.. I assume there is a location in the master bath. Looking at the pics, maybe a custom board to fit across the sink if the height of 17.4" + board fits. Could hang it off of a towel rack. I don't know if there is a A/C outlet there, but I assume so.
Worst case is to dump the tank from time to time.

I may have a few hours to cancel the 2nd one. So if you think it wont work or the 2nd unit isn't necessary, let me know.

What are you doing for the engine room? Any engine room heaters of dehumidifiers?
In our 38E, the dehumidifier was just outside the master shower and the water drained into the shower compartment. The sump pump was always on and the water in the sump was pumped overboard every so often. A 120vac receptacle was just a few feet away under the bookshelf on the same side as the shower.
I did not have a dehumidifier in the engine compartment or the salon. Wasn't needed since the single dehumidifier kept the RH in the 55% range all winter, and around 35% in the master stateroom. The dehumidifier ran 24/7 unless we were underway.
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #1108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hey TT, Thanks for posting this checklist. I will go through the one I am developing and check against this. Your boat is a little more complex than ours, but still plenty of good items to incorporate.

Yes, I assume much will change adapting it to any other boat, big or small, but in concept it should be pretty similar. I liked the format, which is why I pilfered it myself.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:27 PM   #1109
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanprr View Post
In our 38E, the dehumidifier was just outside the master shower and the water drained into the shower compartment. The sump pump was always on and the water in the sump was pumped overboard every so often. A 120vac receptacle was just a few feet away under the bookshelf on the same side as the shower.
I did not have a dehumidifier in the engine compartment or the salon. Wasn't needed since the single dehumidifier kept the RH in the 55% range all winter, and around 35% in the master stateroom. The dehumidifier ran 24/7 unless we were underway.
Thanks for the numbers. That puts some context around dehumidifiers. I never had to use one on the Tennessee, but that was a different boat, and not built as well as this one. Certainly will need one in Florida and the east coast.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:27 PM   #1110
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Quote:
Thanks for the numbers. That puts some context around dehumidifiers. I never had to use one on the Tennessee, but that was a different boat, and not built as well as this one. Certainly will need one in Florida and the east coast.
I used this model dehumidifier for three winters: Whynter Elite Energy Star 70 Pint Dehumidifier with Pump RPD-711DWP. This unit comes with an option to attach a standard hose fitting to an outlet at the rear, eliminating the need for emptying the reservoir.
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #1111
Guru

Sorry if this is repeating what's already been said, but a lot of marine HVAC systems have a dehumidify mode where they cycle on periodically and operate like a dehumidifier. You might consider that instead of separate dehumidifiers that you need to set up and take down, find a place to store them, etc. Times we have left our boat in hot/humid conditions we have just left the HVAC on set to 80F or so. That works too.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #1112
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Sorry if this is repeating what's already been said, but a lot of marine HVAC systems have a dehumidify mode where they cycle on periodically and operate like a dehumidifier. You might consider that instead of separate dehumidifiers that you need to set up and take down, find a place to store them, etc. Times we have left our boat in hot/humid conditions we have just left the HVAC on set to 80F or so. That works too.
And to repeat a thought someone on the site made some months ago, since that mode doesn’t use water, the seacock can remain closed.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #1113
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
In the hot / humid part of the year I also do like Twistedtree and leave the A/C on, but turned up a bit instead of running a dehumidifier when the boat is sitting for a week or so. I figure keeping the temperature down a bit is good for equipment on board like the fridge, so letting the A/C run and keep it to 80* and dry is much better than 100+ degrees inside (with or without humidity issues).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #1114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
And to repeat a thought someone on the site made some months ago, since that mode doesn’t use water, the seacock can remain closed.

Huh, what HVAC system is that? Mine have all run the condenser, albeit for a shorter time compared to normal cooling? Dehumidification happens because the evaporator gets chilled and condenses water out of the air. It's the same way a dehumidifier works.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #1115
Guru

Ok. As we move along towards receiving our boat, one new question has come to mind. I need some ideas around putting the name and hailing port on the back. Who are you using? If you put your own on, what methods did you use to ensure it looks great?

What letter style are you using? What letter height did you go with for both the name and hailing port? images are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help with the decisions. I am sure there are a million solutions and opinions. Would like to hear as many as possible!
Old 12-05-2022, 06:09 PM   #1116
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Ok. As we move along towards receiving our boat, one new question has come to mind. I need some ideas around putting the name and hailing port on the back. Who are you using? If you put your own on, what methods did you use to ensure it looks great?

What letter style are you using? What letter height did you go with for both the name and hailing port? images are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help with the decisions. I am sure there are a million solutions and opinions. Would like to hear as many as possible!

Not a Helmsman, but here's the name and hailing port on my boat. I bought the vinyls and put them on myself. Name has been on there for a long time, not sure where it came from, but the hailing port vinyl came from BoatUS. Letters are 10 inches tall for the name, 4 inches for the hailing port.

DIY lettering install isn't hard if you're just doing plain lettering and not graphics or anything. Just have to do lots of careful measuring, tape out the borders, measure again, etc. to make sure you get them in the right spot. As far as prep and application, I cleaned the area with solvent before install to ensure there was no wax, etc. Then followed the included directions. And once I was done, I waxed right over the letters to ensure good wax coverage around them.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220525_222004553.jpg  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #1117

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
We used Margaux Marine Graphics in Gig Harbor, WA. She did the design and will install the graphics when our boat has finished its wayward voyage. She has done a lot of Helmsman Trawlers.

Home - Margaux Marine Graphics

Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:11 PM   #1118
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Not a Helmsman, but here's the name and hailing port on my boat. I bought the vinyls and put them on myself. Name has been on there for a long time, not sure where it came from, but the hailing port vinyl came from BoatUS. Letters are 10 inches tall for the name, 4 inches for the hailing port.

DIY lettering install isn't hard if you're just doing plain lettering and not graphics or anything. Just have to do lots of careful measuring, tape out the borders, measure again, etc. to make sure you get them in the right spot. As far as prep and application, I cleaned the area with solvent before install to ensure there was no wax, etc. Then followed the included directions. And once I was done, I waxed right over the letters to ensure good wax coverage around them.
Thanks RS. The size of the letters makes sense, and I like that you installed it yourself. Looks good! I think the name on my last boat was installed via some kind of backing that allowed for the entire name to be installed at once. I think that would be easier, but not sure if I remember correctly.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #1119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
We used Margaux Marine Graphics in Gig Harbor, WA. She did the design and will install the graphics when our boat has finished its wayward voyage. She has done a lot of Helmsman Trawlers.

Home - Margaux Marine Graphics

I like yours, Doug. That lady does a nice job with boat names. Lisa liked it, too. I will probably show that to whoever I get to put it together for us.

We had relief lettering on our last boat. The letters were black with a gold shadow relief on them. With the Kingston gray hull, I don’t think that would be possible or really look very good. I like the white relief. It works well with the blue hull.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #1120

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Here is ours, also from Margeaux. She does great work at a reasonable price.

Note the port of call was--and no longer is--Volcano, CA. On our last boat that was our port of call. Of course, there is no port in Volcano, CA (population 100), but the Coast Guard does not require that there be an actual port there when you document the boat. It was quite the conversation starter, usually beginning with "Where the heck is..."

Scott, the grown up in the room, convinced us that we would avoid undue scrutiny from the California tax authorities if we listed Seattle as our port of call.

I recommend paying someone to do this. So many opportunities to screw it up.
Attached Thumbnails
off leash stern.jpg