Need Surveyor recommendations, Puget Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Need recommendations for a good surveyor with experience in Fiberglass, Airex cored Hulls in the Anacortas, WA area. Also recommendation of mechanical surveyor with experience in Gardner engines. Seller's broker has recommendations, but I would prefer independent recommendations from personal experience. Survey would tentatively be 6-12 January time frame. Thanks Scot K.

Marine Consultants
Matt Harris
360 815-0535
M_DBA@msn.com

Very happy with his survey work when we purchased our current boat down in Tacoma, he drove down from Bellingham.

We just used Steve Hemry with Global marine (425)-422-9592, he came highly recommended and I have to say he did do a very very good job. I think he is in Anacortes.

The other name that was highly recommended was Aaron Wilson (206)-240-5378

I waited 4 weeks to get on the books with Steve, Aaron was an additional week out.

Need recommendations for a good surveyor with experience in Fiberglass, Airex cored Hulls in the Anacortas, WA area. Also recommendation of mechanical surveyor with experience in Gardner engines. Seller's broker has recommendations, but I would prefer independent recommendations from personal experience. Survey would tentatively be 6-12 January time frame. Thanks Scot K.
Your profile puts you in Kentucky. Between purchases for myself and my employer I have commissioned 9 surveys. The results have run the range from a waste of money to the surveyor missed major $$$ items.

I have always sought out the best of the best. Including a name that frequently turns up for PNW surveyors. I WILL NOT disparage a professional in public. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Back to Kentucky vs Anacortes. I can't emphasize strongly enough. Take the time and spend the $$$ to come to Anacortes to make your own inspection. Should you decide to move forward with the survey. Be on site during the survey.

In my opinion you cannot afford to short cut this process to save a few thousand $$$ unless the purchase of the boat is pocket change for you.

Surveyor

Yes I've used Matthew, on a recommendation from my Nordhavn friend. Good work by he and associates.jim

Thanks so much for the referrals.

The plan is to fly in a couple of days before the survey, spend two days going through the boat, and be present for the survey/sea trial. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I am NOT a marine surveyor, I am an A&P Mechanic, Pilot, and Artist in Metal, and would not profess to know as much as a good surveyor, however in past boats (as with home inspections) I will do my inspection first, write up a list of items I noted, and present that list to the surveyor/inspector. I let the surveyor know that these are areas where I noted possibly issues, and ask them to keep them in mind during the survey. If they are not issues, please help to educate me as to why they are not a problem. If they ARE an issue, note them in the survey. I have yet to have a surveyor/inspector take offense, and I've learned quite a lot from surveyors during surveys.
Thanks again for the referrals, still looking for a Mech. guy that knows Gardners!

Your profile puts you in Kentucky. Between purchases for myself and my employer I have commissioned 9 surveys. The results have run the range from a waste of money to the surveyor missed major $$$ items.

I have always sought out the best of the best. Including a name that frequently turns up for PNW surveyors. I WILL NOT disparage a professional in public. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Back to Kentucky vs Anacortes. I can't emphasize strongly enough. Take the time and spend the $$$ to come to Anacortes to make your own inspection. Should you decide to move forward with the survey. Be on site during the survey.

In my opinion you cannot afford to short cut this process to save a few thousand $$$ unless the purchase of the boat is pocket change for you.

Be on site during the survey.

You can learn things of such value that the survey feels like it was free (well, maybe less painful).

I was onboard during the sea trial and separated from the surveyor a couple of times. He mentioned that there was an issue in the electrical panels where the AC was not properly protected. I had him show me what he meant. Somebody somewhere had put an uncovered AC buss in with the DC busses. DC sparks. AC kills. Good to know. Money well spent. I can forgive him for the stuff that he missed.

Call Tri-County Diesel in Bellingham. (360)733-8880. They may or may not be Gardner people, but will point you in the right direction with integrity.

Are you looking at the Seaton with a Gardner in Anacortes?

Call Tri-County Diesel in Bellingham. (360)733-8880. They may or may not be Gardner people, but will point you in the right direction with integrity.

Are you looking at the Seaton with a Gardner in Anacortes?

Jeff, No, not the Seaton, we put in an offer on:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/custom-beebe-passagemaker-3683500/

which was accepted today . . . Excited and slightly queasy at the same time:D

I also gave Tri-County Diesel a call, and Jim should be calling me back. Thanks for the assist!

Last edited:
I just used Steve Berg, Berg Marine Surveys , he's here in Anacortes. Seems like a good guy and knowledgeable. For the engine try North Harbor Diesel, https://www.northharbordiesel.com/, also here in Anacortes. They're the biggest around, if they don't know Gardners they'll know who does.

Sean, maybe I didn't speak to the right person, but was told they didn't know what a Gardner engine was, and weren't to interested and letting me speak to the guru "Josh" or even willing to ask him who might be knowledgeable, so although I appreciate the assist, North Harbor Diesel is off my list. Thanks anyway!

Cake Mathers of Mathers Marine surveyors is my go-to guy for hull surveys, and Kevin Ambrose of Diesel Power Systems is my best referral for diesel engine surveys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom