buy a boat in Maryland , motor to NJ ...when?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beekeepergreg

Vessel Name
Mayrose
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 pilot
If I purchase a boat in Maryland, can I move the boat to NJ then register?
Or does the boat need to sit in MD until I register in NJ?
NJ states: "Keep in mind, you have 10 business days from the purchase date to title your boat"

Thanks

OOPs posted in wrong place

I should have posted in General discussion.

you should register/document and insure your boat once you close on it (same like buying a car). you can also get a temporary registration from the dealer/broker for a fee to get you home. if the boat is USCG documented, then you can wait until you get home to register if you state requires registration.
Congrats on your new boat.

Whatever you choose, save the proof that you paid your sales tax forever. You will get credit for paying to another state as long as you can prove it saving you thousands of dollars.

I would check and see if you can register it in NJ before moving it. As the tax is a registration tax, I would see if you can avoid it in MD by registering it immediately in NJ. The answer should be immediately attainable from both MD and NJ state boat registration offices.

I know you can buy a boat in FL and move it to your home state without paying FL registration Tax.

Ted

I think MD sales tax on boats is now capped at $15K... so lots of NJ owners (wit more expensive boats) pay the tax here, keep the boat here, here and do their boating on the Chesapeake.

-Chris

Are you documenting the vessel? I bought my boat in Florida. Documented it immediately but bought the Florida cruising permit to keep it down there for the winter. Paid the Maryland tax within 30 days after bringing it home.

The documentation service was nervous about me waiting on the Maryland tax but the law is quite clear. Tax is not due until the boat enters Maryland waters and then you have 30 days to pay.

Can someone confirm if NJ is the same?

I really appreciate the feedback.
Not documenting the boat.
The Sellers brokers states:
"Your Bill of Sale will act as a temporary registration for 30 days so you can wait till the boat gets to NJ before registering"

At this point I am planning to Register in NJ before I leave. Worried about COVID delays in the registration process.

Honestly there are more pressing things to worry about. I don't think either State would press the issue. Still thumbs up for trying to do the legal thing.

Buy the boat, get the paperwork in order, then register. Find out what paperwork you need to register in NJ and go from there.

[FONT=&quot]Here are the registration requirements from the MD side. From the MD DNR website:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How do I know if my vessel must be registered in Maryland?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note: US Coast Guard documented vessels using Maryland waters are NOT exempt from the vessel excise tax. When used principally in Maryland, documented vessels must display a documented use decal.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If your vessel was purchased in Maryland and will use Maryland waters a majority of the calendar year, you are liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of purchase to avoid assessment of penalty and interest.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If your vessel was purchased elsewhere or previously registered in another jurisdiction, is now in Maryland waters, and will use Maryland waters more than any other single jurisdiction during the calendar year, you are liable for vessel excise tax and must register the vessel within 30 days of entering Maryland waters.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If your vessel is duly registered in another jurisdiction but remains in Maryland waters more than 90 days in a calendar year, you may be liable for vessel excise tax unless you can prove principal use in another jurisdiction.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What is "principal use?" 8-701 of the State Boat Act [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“State of principal use” means the jurisdiction on whose waters a vessel is used or to be used most during a calendar year, which is the period from January 1 through December 31.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Use” means to operate, navigate, or employ a vessel. A vessel is in use whenever it is upon the water, whether it is moving, anchored, or tied up to any manner of dock or buoy. A vessel is also in use if it is kept in any structure in readiness for use.[/FONT]

By the way if you did decide to keep the boat in Maryland (to take advantage of boating on the Chesapeake Bay) excise taxes are 5% and currently capped at $15,500).

[FONT=&quot]Jim
[/FONT]

Not sure why previous post is there......If you are taking the boat out of MD there is no need to bother with ANY of their regulations. Period. Broker will NOT make you pay taxes and give you a bill of sale for purchase price only. Then take it to NJ and register.

I offered the DNR information because anyone buying a boat in MD, should have a good understanding of how LONG they can keep a boat in MD without having to register it in MD.

IF the OP want to register his new boat in NJ, he doesn't need to move it right away if he doesn't want to. As long as the boat stays here for less than 90 days or the owner can provide principle use in another location, keeping the boat in Maryland for a period of time isn't a problem.

Also, we have some of the best boating in the country and it is not uncommon for folks, from out of state, to keep their boats on the Chesapeake.

Ok?

Jim

I love the sales pitch for the Chesapeake Bay, couldn't agree more.
Would like to drag our feet in the bay heading to our home port in NJ. We are addicted to the ocean however.

Live in NJ (ugh) boat in MD so registered in MD. Nj will hit you with fine if you do not register within the time limit, even if boat is on the hard getting repairs. You don't need the boat, just the paperwork to take to motor vehicles where you can wait in line and get the boat registered. Documentation has no effect. Another option is to register in MD where you are currently "boating" and then transfer to NJ where you would only pay any net difference in the sales tax from the state you were registered in before. I brought my boat in NJ, went to MD to register it then sailed it from NJ to MD. You could do it the opposite way.
BTW, registrations in MD are good for two years vs one year in NJ and they don't charge for my 9' 6 HP dingy.

Last edited:
Greg, what boat? Where's the Pilot 30 going?

MS 30 Pilot to a MS 34 Pilot

Rich,
We are moving up to a MS 34 Pilot. We went back and forth on a 34 Trawler with a flybridge. In the end we decided that diving and fishing now took priority over future long distance cruising.
I have given someone first dibs on the 30 Pilot, then I will post here or list. Attached picture is our 30 last spring.

Greg

Attachments

• 20200503_114229.jpg
    20200503_114229.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the come-back, Greg. That sounds like a great boat for the purpose. So much money is wasted on flying bridges on boats where they are unneeded and unused.

yes you got it right. Thanks for correcting that.

Back
Top Bottom