Old 04-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #21
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
What did you use/do to clean and prep before painting?

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Looks a bit odd but somewhat dazzling too. I kinda like the colors and kinda don't. Two tone may have been better.
One could say the only real possible downside is at resale as the thread strongly implies. But your attention to the engine compartment would incline most would automatically assume you spent as much time on maintenance. That should overpower the dazzling colors if they were perceived as a negative.

Having said that I really like Por-15 products and have great respect for your attn. to detail that this involves. I would have used more of the really classy blue that's on the valve covers and painted something else on the left side of the engines a contrasting color too.

Another downside is that when you refinish something like you have and have great contrast with things very close or even nearby it draws attention to the parts that don't have a dazzling finish .. in your case the gearbox ect. But I must admit I didn't notice the gearbox at first. It's like having the best looking girl in the class picture in a white and yellow dazzling dress next to a homely girl w a grey and brown unkempt looking wrinkled coveralls.

But over-all your re-finish is a plus or better.

And yes I'd buy her.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Just paint them a year before you sell. Don't paint them just before you sell or people will be wondering why.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Turned out great! Nice job.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #25

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Love the different responses.
I wish there was more stuff on the port side of the engine that was colorful. If I had had to pull the starter... Everything that's not red was removed and serviced, valve cover means new seal and valve clearances, heat exchangers repaired and pressure tested, new oil coolers, new freshwater pump, rebuilt harmonic balancer, new thermostat under header tank, new seals on raw water pump, new air filter element, new oil lines and all new hoses. Unfortunately there was very little on the port side of the engine that needed to be serviced otherwise we would have more colors there. There was certainly some deferred maintenance from the po.
That dang gearbox, I should paint that sometime... Maybe bright yellow? Or stick to blues and reds?
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
I figured I'd get mixed reviews.
For those who want to copy (I'm sure there'll be many).
I brushed POR-15 rust preventative coating in silver over everything, then did the base color for the main engine with brushed POR-15 ford red. It brushes on ridiculously thick, but man does it get glossy. Everything else was sprayed with Dupli-color 'torquin teal', 'ford dark blue', 'aluminum' and 'old ford blue' VHT. I had a can of shiny gold rustoleum I finished off on some parts too for accent.
I have the seen POR-15 but never used it, is this your first time using it? was wondering how it lasts compared to other brands.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
What did you use/do to clean and prep before painting?
I used the whole POR15 system, including their degreaser. It took about a week to clean, the rest of the painting and servicing all the parts took another week (nights and weekends). The trick to cleaning is to buy a huge variety of brushes, mostly super stiff wire brushes, if you're going to paint. Some for the drill, some handheld, even some tiny ones for the dremel. That job sucks.

It took less than a pint of POR15 rust coating to do both engines, all components (probably 12 ounces). It took a pint each of their engine enamel per engine, and that was cutting it close (and none of the parts that aren't red were painted with that). It took a quart of their degreaser and a quart of their metal prep to do both. It takes about 2 hours to put a coat on an engine brushing it, so you have to start the first coat of engine enamel directly after you finish the rust coating. I only did one super thick coat, then thinned the remainder of the paint with xylene for a second coat which I only put on where necessary.
The POR15 takes much longer to harden up than standard spray enamel, so you have to be careful when re assembling.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
I have the seen POR-15 but never used it, is this your first time using it? was wondering how it lasts compared to other brands.
This is my first time using it too. I had to sand some of it off of a few areas I didn't mask well. For rough steel or iron parts, especially if they're rusty, that shit doesn't come off and gets rock hard. I was impressed!

The engine enamel is amazingly glossy, looks good on cast parts but you can see a lot of brushing texture on stamped or machined parts. It would be tough to brush on the valve cover and have it look good. I did use the rust preventative coating as a primer on the valve cover, then sprayed with duplicolor enamel, that seemed to do very well. The cover was chrome, with a lot of rust spots. You have to rough up the chrome pretty good because the POR-15 wants to peel off of it, same with any very smooth part, especially aluminum.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
This is my first time using it too. I had to sand some of it off of a few areas I didn't mask well. For rough steel or iron parts, especially if they're rusty, that shit doesn't come off and gets rock hard. I was impressed!

The engine enamel is amazingly glossy, looks good on cast parts but you can see a lot of brushing texture on stamped or machined parts. It would be tough to brush on the valve cover and have it look good. I did use the rust preventative coating as a primer on the valve cover, then sprayed with duplicolor enamel, that seemed to do very well. The cover was chrome, with a lot of rust spots. You have to rough up the chrome pretty good because the POR-15 wants to peel off of it, same with any very smooth part, especially aluminum.
Looks like great results
Old 04-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #30
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Looks like great results

Used POR-15 to protect some steel underwater component, was very pleased and surprised. When dry it is rock solid.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #31
Guru

City: LI or Fla
First I though you color coated circuits (like cooling circuit, oil circuit), but that doesn't seem to be the case here, one too many colors for me, actually like the chrome valve cover that I've seen on this from time to time.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
First I though you color coated circuits (like cooling circuit, oil circuit), but that doesn't seem to be the case here, one too many colors for me, actually like the chrome valve cover that I've seen on this from time to time.
I do like the chrome as well. Unfortunately, the chrome flakes off and it gets rusty (almost immediately according to American Diesel). The only thing to do is either re-chrome it or paint it; better than the rust!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #33
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
You dont need to turn the ER lights on.
Go for it
Old 04-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #34
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
When buying a boat, I'm concerned about everything that's going on beneath the engine paint. Personally, I prefer white engines, makes it easier to see leaks and seeps. But ultimately it's far from being anywhere near a deal killer.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #35
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I like the multi-color look. Jazzes things up downstairs a bit. Steyr does some color coding on their engines and it looks good to my eyes.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #36
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:

Me too at first sight I was thinking that the color matched the different circuits which would have been clever ! Maybe a thought for next time

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Me too at first sight I was thinking that the color matched the different circuits which would have been clever ! Maybe a thought for next time

L
may there never be a next time...
Old 04-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #38
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
. Everything that's not red was removed and serviced, valve cover means new seal and valve clearances, heat exchangers repaired and pressure tested, new oil coolers, new freshwater pump, rebuilt harmonic balancer, ....
That dang gearbox, I should paint that sometime... Maybe bright yellow? Or stick to blues and reds?
What was involved in rebuilding the harmonic balancer?

So all painting was by brush? No spraying at all?

And yes, now do the gearbox. If I had a vote, it would be for white.....that would be a great contrast.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #39
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Looks cool. Whatever floats your boat
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #40
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:

My thoughts except I’d go with a crinkle cut black instead of chrome.

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote