Old 06-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
MTU Series 60 14L/825-hp vs. Volvo D-12/715-hp?

I realize these aren't the usual "trawler" engines, but... anybody here have any pros/cons.etc. on these two?

Would be twins in a ~50K-lb sportfish... circa 2005-2007-ish...

-Chris
Old 06-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
No experience with the Volvo, but the Detroit (now MTU) Series 60 has a good reputation and I have met several happy owners. You have to be careful as to how juiced up they are (825 sound high offhand, but they'll know the numbers on BoatDiesel) and, especially something like a sportfish, how they were run is a huge factor. Log books available?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Log books available?

I think so, but haven't gotten very deep into any discussions about the boats with MTUs yet.

I've found it helps to be able to check Volvo engine serial numbers with one of our local dealers, since they can look up at least any of the "official" logged service calls. That won't include owner or non-Volvo-dealer maintenance, but seems to be a start.

And I'm assuming there's a way to do that with MTUs too...

-Chris
Old 06-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
No experience with the Volvo, but the Detroit (now MTU) Series 60 has a good reputation and I have met several happy owners.
I agree! One of my friends has an OA 64 that has a pair of 825 MTUs and it runs great! He's had this particular boat for about 6 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Avalon.jpg   Leaving Catalina Island.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
I have a 500hp 12.7l Series 60 in our RV with 190,000 miles. Great reputation (1 million miles) in over the road service. The 14l would be rated around 550hp over the road. 825hp is a typical pleasure craft only rating driven by marketing. I'd stay under 500hp at cruise (1950 rpm) and you'll be fine assuming you can hit WOT rpms (2350).
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Chris, Another engine in this general class is the Cat 3406, I think rated around 500 hp. I have a friend with these who really likes them. They are usually in motoryachts rather than sportfish boats, though.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Guru

One of the boat models we're considering is normally powered with Volvo D-12/715s. A very few were powered with the MTU S60 14L/825s. One (and perhaps only one) was powered with 700-hp Cats, perhaps the 3406 but I didn't see a specific engine citation.

The boat model -- features, layout, etc. and, of course, cost -- is what would be primarily driving our decision if we go that route, so it's not like we'd have a huge choice of power options.

Can't say as we 'd really ever need/want/use 825-hp, but I was struck by a line in a Series 60 blurb that said something like "unrestricted low load operations" and that at least sounds favorable to the way we typically run.

-Chris
Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Can't say as we 'd really ever need/want/use 825-hp, but I was struck by a line in a Series 60 blurb that said something like "unrestricted low load operations" and that at least sounds favorable to the way we typically run.
In the FWIW department, my friend cruises his OA 64 at 10 knots and when needed, 21 knots.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've been around a bunch of series 60 marine engines. All seemed to be good machines. Owners like them. Very good base engine. Some marine add-ons can be quibbled with, but no big complaints.

I like to poo-poo Volvos almost daily, but once you get to the size of a D12, that is getting close to their commercial machines, and they tend to be ok.

I'd still prefer the S60 for a bunch of reasons, but that Volvo is not a horrible engine either.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I agree! One of my friends has an OA 64 that has a pair of 825 MTUs and it runs great! He's had this particular boat for about 6 years.
Walt
That boat with MTUs is a really good combination. Ideal IMHO. As mentioned by Ken E the lower HP 3406 is another competitor. After these two lots of coin flipping when looking for 400 to 800 HP in an over the road or marine application. Both are still in production.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
FF
Guru

I have had a variety of DD and when needing a part - even for a 60+ year old engines the WORST iI have had to wait is one da,,,inline 6-71, 8V 71, and series 50, ( series 60 with 2 missing cylinders)
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #12
Guru

Series 60 is apparently still around. Looks like 825hp is max they make it so, how how it has been run will be critical. Obviously a full survey will be helpful.

https://www.mtu-solutions.com/conten...ec_S60_1DS.pdf

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 06-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Chris, Another engine in this general class is the Cat 3406, I think rated around 500 hp. I have a friend with these who really likes them. They are usually in motoryachts rather than sportfish boats, though.
The 3406 Cats are usually rated at 800hp in the pleasure boat application. They are one of the best marine engines out there in the horsepower range. And they do power Sportfishes as well. I have two friends that have them in Sportfish. One is a Cabo 45 and the other an aluminum one off 60. Excellent engines!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:34 AM   #14
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
MTU is a reliable engine. I'd pick a steam engine before Volvo.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Series 60 is apparently still around. Looks like 825hp is max they make it so, how how it has been run will be critical. Obviously a full survey will be helpful.

Ref survey, yep, indeed. Near as I can tell, they're not being made anymore, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
MTU is a reliable engine. I'd pick a steam engine before Volvo.

-Chris
Old 06-11-2020, 06:23 AM   #16
Guru

The local MTU dealer and distributor up there can fill you in as you get closer. The unit is still listed in their catalog.: https://www.mtu-solutions.com/conten...lesprogram.pdf

Old 06-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
The local MTU dealer and distributor up there can fill you in as you get closer. The unit is still listed in their catalog.: https://www.mtu-solutions.com/conten...lesprogram.pdf

Ah. Thanks, that helps. From what I found on BD, it seemed like they'd been stopped a few years ago...

-Chris
Old 06-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #18

City: H20
Vessel Name: OLOH
Vessel Model: 60 Jefferson Marquessa Motor Yacht
One more thumbs up for the Series 60's which power OLOH (825 hp). LOVE these engines for 10 kt cruising, where we spend most of our time, but we run them up with regularity and enjoy them at all speeds in their range. Could have this wrong but we had heard that MTU purchased Detroit primarily for the Series 60.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #19
Guru

Can't say as I'm seeing the MTUs getting perfect love on boatdiesel. I've found it necessary to search both the DD section and the MTU section for a more comprehensive vew.

Some of the more positive posts are often offset by negative or at best ambivalent posts. Mostly the negatives seem to be about the marinization parts, especially the aftercooler/charge air coolers (I think). Seems some have 'em and like 'em, but all that seems to countered by those who've had problems. Some posts have even outright suggested the D12/715s are a better option for the purpose.

As it's turning out, the one boat we've been considering that has MTUs... also has a three other issues (including asking price) that make us pause. I think the total of those four issues... maybe any single one of which we could live with... is probably going to mean we pass on that one.

I do very much appreciate everyone's input, though!

-Chris
Old 06-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #20
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Can't say as I'm seeing the MTUs getting perfect love on boatdiesel. I've found it necessary to search both the DD section and the MTU section for a more comprehensive vew.

-Chris
You know as well as I that any section on BD wll scare you about any engine. It is the nature of the beast. People are on their because they have issues or problems.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote