Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Good point - forgot about the conversion.
JGL has 3 labs all in the US. You might get on their website and call or email to see whether there are any issues w/ international samples. Just guessing but a little more postage $ should get a sample to them maybe w/ a longer transit time is all???
Thanks, Don. Probably best to find a local tester, and deal direct with them instead of through a marina.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I got a similar issue on my engine last year, it took me 5 oil changes before getting oil back to normal.
Also I would not run the engine during an hour or two if the oil is not clean.

Between each oil change I ran the engine 5 or 10 minutes checked oil and if not clean changed again oil.
When I got the oil clear I did a 2h or 3h run to get oil hot enough to evaporate the remaining trace of water. I was able to see some vapor coming out of the dipstick so even if oil looked clean some moisture was still there.

I did a final oil change and everything has been fine since.

L
Thanks, Lou. Sounds like good advice. My issue, however, is that my boat is now in storage. Thus, changing the oil and filter, and running it several times is a little more complicated.
__________________

__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You don't have a mechanic. You have an oil change guy.
Consider the implications.
Good point. But he claimed to be a "marine technician" who seemed to know a lot about diesel engines, at least more than me. :-)
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #44
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
So, I shouldn't be concerned about the abnormal iron content of the oil sample per the last line of the recommendations? I know the oil was replaced once. Unsure about twice since I wasn't present after the first phase of the job.


I've asked the service manager if the oil was checked again for colour and awaiting his reply. Maybe I'm working myself up too much? :-)
One oil sample really doesn’t mean much. It’s the trend over several samples that tells a story. If the $99.00 for the oil sample included the techs time to go and draw the sample it’s not such a bad deal. Probably about 1/2 hour of his time (labor) included.
As I said before get the contaminated oil out and new oil in for the winter. Run the generator next spring and monitor the situation.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #45
Guru
 
City: Here
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,946
Any NAPA store in Ontario will sell you an oil analysis kit for about $40. This includes the report.
Should you want to learn a liitle bit about these reports and what information they provide may I offer .......

Oil_Analysis_on_Diesel_Boats
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #46
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7,622
A question. How many hours did the generator run on the oil that was removed?
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #47
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Thanks, Lou. Sounds like good advice. My issue, however, is that my boat is now in storage. Thus, changing the oil and filter, and running it several times is a little more complicated.
Looking at the current weather now up here I do not see anything that prevent you to go to your boat for a day to change your oil a couple of times and run the genset a few times. Can't you get a water hose to your boat? Event if your batteries are disconnected you can connect your starting battery in 5 minutes. At least after doing this you would get peace of mind for winter. Better to do that instead of thinking about this for the 6 months...

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:07 PM   #48
Guru
 
City: Here
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Any NAPA store in Ontario will sell you an oil analysis kit for about $40. This includes the report.
Should you want to learn a liitle bit about these reports and what information they provide may I offer .......

Oil_Analysis_on_Diesel_Boats
The sample report in the above linked article is from just down the street from you in Burlington.

Wear Check
1175 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 5H9
(905) 569-8600
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
One oil sample really doesn’t mean much. It’s the trend over several samples that tells a story. If the $99.00 for the oil sample included the techs time to go and draw the sample it’s not such a bad deal. Probably about 1/2 hour of his time (labor) included.
As I said before get the contaminated oil out and new oil in for the winter. Run the generator next spring and monitor the situation.
The $99 did include the tech's time to take the sample. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Any NAPA store in Ontario will sell you an oil analysis kit for about $40. This includes the report.
Should you want to learn a liitle bit about these reports and what information they provide may I offer .......

Oil_Analysis_on_Diesel_Boats
Thanks BoatPoker. Very informative read.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
A question. How many hours did the generator run on the oil that was removed?
The oil had been changed in the spring of 2019 by the previous owner's marina, and I took possession of the boat early June after launch. The surveyor ran the generator for a few minutes, and I ran it for maybe an hour. My wife preferred to tie up somewhere rather than anchor, so it wasn't used much.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:38 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Looking at the current weather now up here I do not see anything that prevent you to go to your boat for a day to change your oil a couple of times and run the genset a few times. Can't you get a water hose to your boat? Event if your batteries are disconnected you can connect your starting battery in 5 minutes. At least after doing this you would get peace of mind for winter. Better to do that instead of thinking about this for the 6 months...

L
Good point, Lou. The boat is in the back corner of a very large storage building. I don't know if the marina could or would permit me to run a water hose to my boat, or even to start the generator. Nevertheless, I'll inquire. I would indeed rest easier when the snow flies.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The sample report in the above linked article is from just down the street from you in Burlington.

Wear Check
1175 Appleby Line, Burlington, ON L7L 5H9
(905) 569-8600
Now, that's handy. I've got some reading to do today. Thanks again.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #54
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
The oil had been changed in the spring of 2019 by the previous owner's marina, and I took possession of the boat early June after launch. The surveyor ran the generator for a few minutes, and I ran it for maybe an hour. My wife preferred to tie up somewhere rather than anchor, so it wasn't used much.
Possibly the new to you vessel had a raw water into genset leak (from who knows where) right from the start. The mechanic who changed the oil in the fall noticed the milkiness and brought it to your attention. Maybe the latest mechanic has been overly roasted?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Possibly the new to you vessel had a raw water into genset leak (from who knows where) right from the start. The mechanic who changed the oil in the fall noticed the milkiness and brought it to your attention. Maybe the latest mechanic has been overly roasted?
That's a distinct possibility - on both counts. It may have had a leak already and the surveyor wasn't able to detect it. The investigation and remedial actions continue. Thanks.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
So, I shouldn't be concerned about the abnormal iron content of the oil sample per the last line of the recommendations? I know the oil was replaced once. Unsure about twice since I wasn't present after the first phase of the job.


I've asked the service manager if the oil was checked again for colour and awaiting his reply. Maybe I'm working myself up too much? :-)
Oil analysis is generally a long term view of engine health. It takes a number of samples to determine what is “normal” for your engine. If you got a slug of water in there the high iron could be from some corrosion that may have taken place. Anyway, one high iron reading isn’t very concerning to me. All the other advice offered seems very spot on.
__________________
Jim Nance
T210DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:28 AM   #57
Guru
 
City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Start looking for another mechanic as well. Milky oil always means water/antifreeze in the oil. That's a no-brainer. Oil analysis? Waste of $$, at this point IMO. Water is water and I know no other cause of milky oil. He should have drained and changed the oil immediately.
I'm going to respectfully disagree slightly here. In this situation, I'd be interested to know if Na (Sodium) was also elevated.

It is most likely that coolant is the cause of the milky oil. But there are avenues for it to be saltwater. For the $20 that and almost no time that an oil analysis costs, I'd want to cross those definitively off the list.

But, I agree, I'd have gotten that milky oil out of there right away. I'd take that oil sample as I was draining it out! (Before refiling it and turning over a bunch, and repeating.)
gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #58
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,575
Greetings,
Mr. gk. "But there are avenues for it to be saltwater." OP is in fresh water. (Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Boating waters are most probably Lake Ontario) so no elevated Na levels.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
RossWilson's Avatar
 
City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree slightly here. In this situation, I'd be interested to know if Na (Sodium) was also elevated.

It is most likely that coolant is the cause of the milky oil. But there are avenues for it to be saltwater. For the $20 that and almost no time that an oil analysis costs, I'd want to cross those definitively off the list.

But, I agree, I'd have gotten that milky oil out of there right away. I'd take that oil sample as I was draining it out! (Before refiling it and turning over a bunch, and repeating.)
I'd say that it's difficult for there to be salt water when she's always been a fresh-water vessel. The sodium was 50 pp and glycol zero. Based on the consensus of opinion here, I'd have to say it's water.
__________________
Ross Wilson
Freelance Writer/Author
RossWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #60
Veteran Member
 
MacPhid's Avatar
 
City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
I'd say that it's difficult for there to be salt water when she's always been a fresh-water vessel. The sodium was 50 pp and glycol zero. Based on the consensus of opinion here, I'd have to say it's water.


Ross,

I’ve been boating (and winterizing) on Georgian Bay for a number of years. Once our boat is hauled, I run the generator with a winterization kit connected and fed into the raw water strainer.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-65501-Yo.../dp/B0000AXQU2

I fill the 20 ltr jug with pink RV antifreeze and the start the engine. Open the boiler valve on the jug and it’s fed through the raw water circuit. It will run for 2 or 3 minutes on 20 ltrs.
This would allow you to run the engine without the need for a water supply in the storage facility. You could then change the oil and filter one more time for peace of mind over the winter. If the yard won’t allow you to run it yourself, get them to do it.
I winterize both my main engines and the generator this way every year. Not ideal for oil change as the generator doesn’t get hot, but at least you’ll have the peace of mind knowing there is a second change with fresh oil in it for the winter.

James
__________________

MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
milky oil

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×