Lehman oil cooler hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I think I blew an oil cooler hose today. It’s an oily mess right now,I’ll know more tomorrow when I pull the hose . We’re traveling on the Tennessee River. Had to get towed a few miles to Clifton Marina . It looks like a hyd hose with crimped fittings. Is there a chance that a local Napa could make these? It looks like they’re just a female JIC fitting on each end.

Nothing special about the hose so you could take the old one in and haveone made but Brian usually has inventory and might be a more certain fit.

There is a tractor supply in Savannah. They might have what you need or will know who makes up hoses locally.

I think the oil cooler and oil filter are NPT fittings.

Don't be like me. When replacing my coolers I figured I'd replace the old lines as well. I stupidly just unscrewed the hoses from the cooler and had a shop duplicate them. The fittings were some weird British taper thing, and very expensive. Then I realized that the old coolers had male-male adaptors which were brazed or soldered in & would not budge. Not wanting to throw away my expensive new hoses it took me about half a dozen visits to various shops & several special orders to arrive at male NPT to male weird British taper adapters that would fit my hoses. I'm not gonna say how much the whole setup cost because I'm still upset with myself about it.

I think I blew an oil cooler hose today. It’s an oily mess right now,I’ll know more tomorrow when I pull the hose . We’re traveling on the Tennessee River. Had to get towed a few miles to Clifton Marina . It looks like a hyd hose with crimped fittings. Is there a chance that a local Napa could make these? It looks like they’re just a female JIC fitting on each end.

Probably can use a hydraulics shop to make up the hose(s).

Maybe even a shop that repairs farm or industrial equipment.

Good advice above about fittings not matching, may want to take the cooler with you or ensure the bad hose ends are verified by the maker of the new hose.

Last edited:
Be careful with the threads as already noted. British Pipe Thread (BPT) and NPT look very similar. Many times they will thread together but they won’t seal.

I got the hose off that I think is bad . I don’t see any holes but it has two places where the jacket is bubbled up . I’ve got a call into Brian @ American Diesel. I’m going to replace all three hoses if in stock.

Yes a local NAPA that makes hydraulic will be fine.
I had to go that route after the first day on my maiden voyage/ cruise from upstate NY to CT.
Had no problems with that replacement.
Did the same when I replaced the tranny oil lines to the cooler.

I talked with Brian . They are 2weeks out on the hoses. He suggested bypassing filter and oil cooler and use one hose in and out at the oil block on engine . I did this and I’m running 60 pounds oil pressure at 1100 rpm. I cruise around 1400. I have 60 miles left to run. I’m scheduled for haul out and bottom job on Monday at my final destination. I know I need to keep close eye on oil pressure and water temperature. What do you think?

No sweat, watch temps as that is what coolers do and take her home.

I have run an assistance tow vessel by passing a cooler and it really wasn't a big deal if I watched the temps. Pressure shouldn't be an issue without a leak...temps shouldn't get that high.

Or have a hose made locally, me I would do either at the drop of a hat if the locally made hose was easy and normally priced.

Tow boat US said the tow that’s in the area is broke down . I’m kinda stuck so I’m probably going to go go it. I’m going to check on it all day today while at the dock. If everything stays same I’ll head out tomorrow.

I think that the use of 1500psi (or 3000psi) rated hydraulic hose is overkill. I used 300psi hose with the yellow collar "push-on" fittings on my Lehman. One great advantage is that you can make them up in the boat so that way you can "custom fit" and get the lengths just right so that the hoses lay nicely. The fittings in brass are all readily available.

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_3909 (1).jpg
    IMG_3909 (1).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 33
I think that the use of 1500psi (or 3000psi) rated hydraulic hose is overkill. I used 300psi hose with the yellow collar "push-on" fittings on my Lehman. One great advantage is that you can make them up in the boat so that way you can "custom fit" and get the lengths just right so that the hoses lay nicely. The fittings in brass are all readily available.

Nick

That's a great solution. I totally agree that the hydraulic hoses are massive overkill for a <100psi system. Wish I had gone that direction.

Nick
That’s a nice install. Clean set up . Our other boat had reusable hydraulic fittings , handy but still overkill.

A few years ago, I purchased and installed all new oil cooler hoses from American Diesel for my twin FL120s. The transmission hoses were easy to work with. The oil hoses, not so much. To bend the hoses on was challenging, and in the end I worried that the hoses were "crimped" a bit too much at the bends. But, engine temps and oil pressures on both motors have been the same as before.

. . . in the end I worried that the hoses were "crimped" a bit too much at the bends. .

I suspect that the stiffness of the hydraulic hoses leads to high bending loads where the hose enters the fittings, especially with the short runs involved.

This may be a factor leading to early failure of these hoses at well below their rated working pressure.

Regards,
Nick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom