Old 08-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #81
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
I vaguely remember a KK42 I toured had a hydraulic driven chain drive powered off a generator PTO. Seems like a pretty cool solution (assuming the prop/shaft are functional).

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #82
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
This was the set up I had. Issue was the 12kw genset was way oversized for genset duty. Originally sized for engine hp, not gen head. Also had issues with heat build up. It workd but according to previous owner not very well.

Side note the BW gearbox was able to freewheel w/o damage in this set up.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #83

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Maya
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Get home

We have (and love) a Torqeedo electric outboard for our Portland Pudgy dinghy, and we carry two batteries for the Torqeedo. In the scenario described, if we lost our single Cummins, we'd use the Pudgy as a tug to move our trawler, and use our diesel generator to recharge the battery that was not in use. Voila!
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #84
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
We have (and love) a Torqeedo electric outboard for our Portland Pudgy dinghy, and we carry two batteries for the Torqeedo. In the scenario described, if we lost our single Cummins, we'd use the Pudgy as a tug to move our trawler, and use our diesel generator to recharge the battery that was not in use. Voila!
I would dearly like to know how fast the Tq on the Pudge will push your AT34, since that's what I want to push. Please do that experiment and report back!!

Not sure of the specifics, but I think you can discharge the in-use battery on the Tq much faster than you can recharge the spare from the genset, with typical equipment anyway. So you'd go a little, then rest a little. Which is better than not going. Wires (and suitable converters) from the genset to the Tq would allow continuous use.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #85

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
That's exactly what the young fellow of the Sailing Uma youtube videos DIY'd on his sailboat.
I never looked how did he fare? Them motors moved weight but then again in 8 hours would drain a 36v battery weighing over 1500 pounds plus the hydro pump motor running so im on the fence for my opinion on it. Even tho those motors were maybe 150 or so pounds. But I guess would run if you had a genny wired right.

TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote