Old 07-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #21

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
Did Darin mention anything about the 26 foot tolly that I think he put two outboards on? Even if he is too busy to do the work he might be an information source.

LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #22

City: Juneau
Vessel Model: Tollycraft Sportcruiser
We pretty much just talked about the 30'ers. I have seen more than a few of the 26' but none with twins.

RobofJNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #23
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I think maintaining balance with a thousand pounds of motors hanging 2-3' off of the stern with the original midships (or are they V drives ?) engines gone, will be difficult

Take a look at my avatar to the left and this larger photo below. The boat was originally sold with a conventional diesel midships. The builder produced this nice pod which bolts onto the transom to mount the outboard. It balances perfectly with the additional bouyancy of the pod.

You could probably get a local fiberglass guy to make one for the same cost as a custom bracket.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Pompano 23 quarter view on trailer.jpg  
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #24

Very nice and cleanly done!

My boat has V drives. I'll be removing two 1100lb motor tranny combos from the rear of the boat and moving two 600lb motors about 48" farther aft but with the added buoyancy of the bracket I don't think it will be a problem. If I were going to trailer this thing I would have more concern but the trailer I have is only to move it to the storage yard.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #25

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
I think it is an awesome idea.

OB have come a very long way from two stroke head aches. And your commercial engine source is a testament to that. Typically they are lighter for same HP, so consume less fuel, with electronics they are just as reliable as a stern or V drive. And access to repair and replacement is far easier.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:58 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I haven't done this myself, but a good friend has converted his 33' inflatable from a pair of Iveco inboards with jet drive to a pair of E-tech 300s on a pod.
Fuel is better, I don't know how much. Weight is down 1500#. Top speed went from 35 to 50. The old engine bay is now a 250g fuel tank.
Cost was in the same ballpark as you have suggested.
Never look back!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:29 AM   #27

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Used to be new OB were less expensive than a new gas stern drive. Not so much any more. That is the function of technology.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #28
Guru

I think this is a great project that will yield results that you are expecting.
Good luck and please post results when completed!

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Looking forward to learn your projects success ratios.

If you don't mind supplying: Breakdown on costs of project as well as time to complete various portions will be helpful.

Stats for speeds, fuel use and boat's new handling capabilities will be exciting to hear about.

When do you plan to accomplish this large project?

Happy Boat Repowering Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
My brother has done two I/O to O/B conversions - still using the
2nd one, 26' boat that a single I/O, now has a Yamaha 300 on a bracket.

Make sure you reinforce where the stringers tie into the transom with
bracing, knees, etc.

Be careful that your bracket bolt holes are clear of your newly
added transom reinforcements.

You might go to TheHullTruth and do a search, you will find others who have done what you are talking about. One guy converted a 47' Apache race boat
to triple 350's - it came out very well.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #31
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobofJNU View Post
I appreciate your concern but its what I want. Faster, more efficient, ease of maintenance, 5 years of warranty. When I say the internals are good I mean the rotating assembly. But they are still 32 years old and rusty as hell from the previous owner. Due to the rust I am constantly having mechanical issues with every component but the internals. The only way to get ahead of it all is to get it all out and start new. And then I still have the old technology so I will still have about 1 NMPG or less.

They do these conversions in Florida a lot from what I see. I just can't find a Tolly that's been done. But boats of similar weight and hull type and size seem to pick up quite a bit of speed at slightly less fuel burn then inboards.

Boat people have this perverse thought of always worrying about resale. But yet often the same people who talk about it will spend huge money on old cars, booze, other little toys and trinkets that have little or no resale at all. Seriously guys in town I talk about this have blown well over $100,000 in the last few years on junk they'll never be able to sell but when it comes to their boat they stress over the price of new fenders.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has done an outboard conversion not to argue the point of doing it.

Robo,

I'd say good on ya, and have at it. This is not an investment, it's an expense and that's what toys are. If it were short term (like a one time loop trip), there could be an arguement to have a boat that is popular and sells fast, but few make money buying and selling.

If you come close to your projected costs, I'd say it's a BARGAIN, and you'll have MUCH more reliability and performance.

There's not a huge demand for old gas powered boats, so if you like the hull and convert, it's more than likely MUCH less costly than selling and buying something newer.

As for keeping the old engines and upgrading them... TOTALLY agree with you. It won't be a few thousand, it will be well north of your conversion costs and you'd still have old gas engines. I've been there!

As for balance, you can easily figure out how much the center of gravity will move, just like they do in aircraft conversions.

I've had a few friends do conversions.. IO to OB, and gas to diesel. None of them will make money on the deals, but every one of them ended up with better performance and reliability on a known hull that they liked.

So.... go for it!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #32

Thanks bud! Pretty excited. Hoping the bracket will be started soon and I can gut the boat this winter.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #33

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 07-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #34

City: Anacortes
That sounds like a fun project and with your access to the outboards it seems like you're in the right place at the right time. I'd look at doing a hull extension like that Pompano to increase buoyancy aft rather than metal brackets. I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to figure out about where the CG of your boat is now and then figure out where it'd end up with the new motors. Also not hard to figure out how much buoyancy you'd get from the extension.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Atascadero, Ca
Vessel Name: Simbalaut
Vessel Model: Navigator 5300 Sundance
That big hole in the aft deck where the old V8s were will make for some great new storage areas. If ballast is needed it can go right there too.
I looked at buying a Tolly 30 like yours but decided to go bigger. I really liked the design and functionality of the Tolly. A lot of boat in 30’.
My guess is that even a slow speeds (6-8) knots it will get better mileage there too.
Sounds like a great project for you since it will be your last boat, you should have exactly what you want. Go for it!
The only downside to a bracket or pod boat that I have experienced is that the engines throw up a lot of water due to the ride plate not always being in the right spot. This is where a full hull extension may be an advantage.
Bajabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #36

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
This is the future of boats. Outboards that have capitalized on the advances in car engines have become much more reliable, powerful & fuel efficient while getting lighter at the same time. And not only does converting to outboards get the noise & vibration out of the boat but it frees up a huge area for storage. And the biggest plus is how much safer the boat will be. In my opinion you will greatly increase the value of the boat.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #37

City: Hilton Head Island
Robo, have u considered insurance angle? Be sure you can insure what u end up with. Sounds like a great project.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #38

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
Please keep us posted on your progress. Very interesting conversion. I'm curious why you went with a local builder instead of Armstrong?
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #39
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I love outboards.
And putting them on the transom is not ideal because of the weight far aft. But a boat designed for an OB has advantages that are designed in.
David’s Pompano is a conversion. Done at the factory and modified by a NA (I assume) the stern extension can be very acceptable. But it’s not ideal.
Balance of weight and flotation isn’t all there is to it. If you compare an IO boat w a straight inboard boat almost all ways the inbd boat is better. Airplanes have the same issues but may be more sensitive to variations.
There is a huge difference between a boat w her weight centered amidships and one w the weight at either end. At either end in head seas there could even be a structural problem but I’m talking about handling. The boat w weight at the ends will be sort-of a slug yawing and pitching. It will feel more barge like than one w weight amidships. Turning sharply is obvious but it will prevail even w small course changes. Pitching actually IMO is best w the weight in-between at either end or amidships. And the basic shapes of hulls dictates various variations in weight distribution. Many inboard boats have fuel tanks aft. They were put there for a reason but it’s not ideal to have non-fixed loads at the ends of a boat.

Re the above one can see weight distribution in small craft is not simple.

But the best OB extension is as David has except extending the whole hull. Almost always the full hull extension is best and all else is a compromise. Just plain bracket OB extensions are bad to undesirable to unsafe IMO.

But re David’s boat what are the downsides to doing a full hull extension instead of the add-on? It’s kinda like synthetic oil. Just money.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #40

City: Kasilof Alaska
Here is a link to a 28 foot Bertram converted to outboards. The builder is very pleased with how it turned out.
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59473
I have done a couple on smaller boats and am pleased with the results overall. Getting the correct balance is key.

DNT99611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, outboard, tollycraft, yamaha