Recommended Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicksilver55

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48 MY
We are purchasing a 48-foot motor yacht and would like information regarding requirements and training.
I have operated boats for 40 years from 20 foot to 32-foot express cruiser with twin gas motors. We have rented houseboats for years up to 80 feet also. We are now looking to cruise the great lakes this summer and then start a loop trip in the new to us boat. It's 48 foot, 44,000 pounds powered by twin diesels. I have arranged for a captain to be on board when we pick up the boat that is familiar with the boat we are under contract on that is familiar with the lakes and another captain that is familiar with the rivers here in northern Illinois. I am looking for advice above this for training and or knowledge as we have never really operated a vessel out of our area. Any Advice?

The America's Boating Club (AKA US Power Squadron) courses are well done and varied including boating basics, Piloting/ navigation (w/ GPS) Advanced Piloting (tides & currents)`electives include eng maint, marine electronics, rivers & locks, cruise planning, weather, etc. A complete educational listing is available onlinecas well as locations for local clubs..
Many clubs are including on the water components and are doing remote classes due to Covid.
These could help get you more comfortable with route planning & navigating if desired.

Bacchus,
Thank you for the information. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

I’ve done the power squadron courses. I wish they were faster paced. The Canadians also have a comparable good set. And there are some great YouTube videos people post.

This continuing series is my favorite but it’s oriented more towards coastal passages where weather is an issue. Done on his immaculate 70’ Delta built yacht. He goes extensively into systems and maintenance and ship preparedness etc.

https://youtu.be/opyFJp0lkhc

Bowball,

Thank you for this lead, we are indeed going to want information for coastal passages as some of the areas require either the ICW or outside passages depending on tides I think. This is some of the information i think I will need. Most of my experience would be considered protected water with maybe 100 hours or so on Lake Michigan.

Thank you I knew I could count on you all for help with this.

I’ve done the power squadron courses. I wish they were faster paced. The Canadians also have a comparable good set.

Most of the ABC courses are available online and/or the the instructors post the course material on their website. That allows a student to progress at your own speed and still participate in person classes periodically for Q&A. ABC is adding audio explanations to slides to make online a reasonable alternative.

Last edited:
Also check with your insurance company and see what they require/or maybe not for you to insure the boat. They may require a specified time with a captain and certain requirements for the captains qualifications.

I had thought about taking the actual captain's license courses and thought that might be a little overkill. I have not checked with my insurance but when I look at the requirements for the Captain's license I do not have the required days you have to have 90 days operating in the last 3 years.

I had thought about taking the actual captain's license courses and thought that might be a little overkill. I have not checked with my insurance but when I look at the requirements for the Captain's license I do not have the required days you have to have 90 days operating in the last 3 years.

Check that you can indeed obtain insurance before you buy the boat. Insurance is getting more difficult to get now than in the past. How old is the boat? Some companies will not insure boats over 20, 30 or 40 years old. Their policy can be very arbitrary but make sure you can insure it before you sign on the line for it. If you have a loan they will require insurance and if you are not able to get it then they can call the loan or place their own insurance on the boat which can be horribly expensive.

When I made a huge jump in footage and complexity , my insurance company required 100 hours of training and a captain to sign me off for them to consider me. These course were useful too. The 100 hours was ambiguous as to what form etc so you send in what you’ve done and the sign off.

I have contacted my insurance agent that we have our company's insurance through. We carry extensive front line and umbrellas for our different holdings so hopefully that will help us.

I have contacted my insurance agent that we have our company's insurance through. We carry extensive front line and umbrellas for our different holdings so hopefully that will help us.

That will definitely help, assuming they have boat insurance. That’s why AIG agreed to consider insuring me though the initial Policy had a named captain until I got approved.

Thanks,
That's what I am counting on. I had considered purchasing in one of the company entities and adding it under the semi-truck account which is an any and all policy so we will see what our best option is.

Thanks,
That's what I am counting on. I had considered purchasing in one of the company entities and adding it under the semi-truck account which is an any and all policy so we will see what our best option is.

IMHO, I don’t think they will care about that. Mine is in a specially created LLC for it. Your insurance company will work with you since a) you have business with them but more importantly b) it gives them comfort in your overall risk profile which matters.

There are many a conversation on TF and CruisersForum(CF) regarding getting a Captains license.

For us, I don't think it makes sense to get the license because of the administrative overhead to get and maintain the license since we would not be earning a living from the credentials. Having said that, possessing the knowledge to get the Captains license is a good thing. One can take the classes to get the license, pass the test and just not apply for the license.

Later,
Dan

Thanks,
Dan I had actually thought the same thing and am looking into some of the requirements. It looks like you have to meet certain criteria to even begin the classes.

Not specific to operating a boat, but a Wilderness First Aid course is good training for those emergencies that can pop up. Gives you the perspective and skills for when calling 911 may not be possible or may take awhile to get to you.

Not specific to operating a boat, but a Wilderness First Aid course is good training for those emergencies that can pop up. Gives you the perspective and skills for when calling 911 may not be possible or may take awhile to get to you.

That is a good recommendation.

CPR training is also a good idea.

Later,
Dan

We are purchasing a 48-foot motor yacht and would like information regarding requirements and training.
I have operated boats for 40 years from 20 foot to 32-foot express cruiser with twin gas motors. We have rented houseboats for years up to 80 feet also. We are now looking to cruise the great lakes this summer and then start a loop trip in the new to us boat. It's 48 foot, 44,000 pounds powered by twin diesels. I have arranged for a captain to be on board when we pick up the boat that is familiar with the boat we are under contract on that is familiar with the lakes and another captain that is familiar with the rivers here in northern Illinois. I am looking for advice above this for training and or knowledge as we have never really operated a vessel out of our area. Any Advice?

Ask Captain Chris https://www.captainchrisyachtservices.com/ and he is a sponsor of the AGLCA.

The America's Boating Club (AKA US Power Squadron) courses are well done and varied including boating basics, Piloting/ navigation (w/ GPS) Advanced Piloting (tides & currents)`electives include eng maint, marine electronics, rivers & locks, cruise planning, weather, etc. A complete educational listing is available onlinecas well as locations for local clubs..

USCG Aux offered a Boating Safety course -- several weeks long at 1 or 2 nights a week (with homework) as I remember the way we took it -- and I assume they still do that. They had other courses too, I think: weather, etc. The local USCG Aux people will know.

-Chris

Great question from Quicksilver - I have a similar need for education. And similarly, I've owned 34' cruisers (gas), and have captained fairly large sailboats (mostly in the Carib).

I looked at the America's Boating Club site, and they do seem to have some very useful training and seminars.
But, I'm not seeing anything related to diesel maintenance and troubleshooting.
Am I missing that, or is there a better place to get the basics for handling diesel issues?

Great question from Quicksilver - I have a similar need for education. And similarly, I've owned 34' cruisers (gas), and have captained fairly large sailboats (mostly in the Carib).

I looked at the America's Boating Club site, and they do seem to have some very useful training and seminars.
Am I missing that, or is there a better place to get the basics for handling diesel issues?

I think many of the diesel engine courses aimed at recreational boat operators/owners are going to be regional because of the advantages of hands-on training. For example, if you are up in Southern New England: https://narragansettsailingschool.com/diesel-engine-course/. Then there is one in Annapolis, MD.: https://www.annapolisschoolofseamanship.com/diesel. And in the Pacific Northwest: https://ce.seattlecentral.edu/category/boating/diesel-engines-recreational-boaters

I did find this describing an online course: https://www.boatersuniversity.com/courses/marine-diesel-maintenance-troubleshooting

I think many of the diesel engine courses aimed at recreational boat operators/owners are going to be regional because of the advantages of hands-on training. For example, if you are up in Southern New England:
Then there is one in Annapolis, MD.: https://www.annapolisschoolofseamanship.com/diesel.

I took the hands-on Annapolis courses, and found them very, very helpful.

I say "courses" (plural) because they're set up as a 2-day "intro" and then an optional "get serious" course. Troubleshooting in the latter included sabotaged engines, teams make 'em run or you don't pass.

-Chris

My wife and I attended a week long course at the Chapman's School of Seamanship in Port Salerno Florida. It included classroom and on water sessions for several hours a day. Even experienced boaters were amazed at how much they learned. Winter is a great time to go.

Many clubs are including on the water components and are doing remote classes due to Covid.
These could help get you more comfortable with route planning & navigating if desired.

I’ll second that motion. I boated for several decades on my Dad’s power boats and my 4 sailboats.. a fair amount of experience. Then, in new to me waters (PNW) I bought a bigger power boat and joined the local ABClub (US Power Squadron), of which I’m now Commander. I learned a ton from the courses. Worth it.

Hi, Quicksilver! Great question that we should all be thinking about! Thank you!

I've taken various USCGA and Power Squadron classes, and am now taking Boaters' University. All are good (USPS in person are the best, IMO). What I think is especially valuable right now for us is practice/drills. For instance, how well do we know how to place the various Pan-Pan, Securitee and May Day radio calls in an emergency? My thought is that my Admiral and I should practice those in the car on the drive to the marina now and then. On the water we have done anchoring and Man Overboard drills, but one or two reminder drills on each early each season, especially in different amounts of wind, are a good idea. (One of us would have needed to be a really good swimmer last time we drilled! We repeated until execution was better.)

I need to improve not only my logs but a scheduled frequency of things like bilge checks, and recording postion checks in case we need to radio for help. Also, I need to be more rigorous about pre-departure checks - go beyond oil/trans fluid/coolant/water strainers to include belts hoses/clamps before cranking. Also, add setting up the Life Sling before departure. So, in addition to Boaters University this winter, improving logs, checklists, and making a list of radio/MOB and other drills to work on are on my list.

Thanks again for your great question, as I think it's a good reminder to all of us to update our training with additional providers, and to practice/drill on some of the basics on the water.

Quicksilver,
The 6pack license requirement is 90 days in the last three years, 360 days total (lifetime). You need to show boat ownership for all those years.

Taking the classes for a 6pack is a great idea even if you never apply for a license. Most classes have no prerequisite.

I’d also be checking the height of that boat. I took a ‘89 Carver 4207 down Lake Michigan and into the Illinois, Mississippi and Ohio Rivers in May 2021, we barely made it under the one infamous bridge after lowering the antenna and anchor light.

Capn Jim

Back
Top Bottom