Mmsi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a BoatUS MMSI number I’m told I need an international MMSI number for my AIS in order to go to the Bahamas I applied for a FCC number and was told is $220 could that be true or am I using the wrong form please help. What would happen if I used my boat US MMSI number with my AIS and did go to the Bahamas?

I have a BoatUS MMSI number I’m told I need an international MMSI number for my AIS in order to go to the Bahamas I applied for a FCC number and was told is $220 could that be true or am I using the wrong form please help. What would happen if I used my boat US MMSI number with my AIS and did go to the Bahamas?

Technically, it's illegal to not have a Ship's Station license, and a Radio Operator's license when visiting other countries. Can you get away without it? Maybe? Probably? You call, but that's what the $220 is buying you, and you get an international MMSI along with it.

The advantage of an international MMSI is that your boat info is in an international search and rescue data based, so if your DSC alarm goes off, they can look it up and see your boat details, contact info, etc. That can help head off a false alarm, and/or aid in finding you since they know what sort of a boat they are looking for.

If you have a BoatUS MMSI, your info goes into a domestic database only, used for the same purpose.

That said, if you trigger your domestic MMSI somewhere else in the world, it will be heard and won't be ignored. SAR will just be at a disadvantage not knowing what they are looking for.

Also keep in mind that if you get a different MMSI, your VHF(s) and AIS will have to be reprogrammed, and that typically involves returning them to the manufacturer or a repair center, and often a service fee.

Without searching myself...I think there are exceptions for the BoatUS/Sea Tow MMSI numbers for a couple of adjacent foreign nations. Not sure out of Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas which ones they are...but before going nuts over it all...a little research may see there is leeway.

Without searching myself...I think there are exceptions for the BoatUS/Sea Tow MMSI numbers for a couple of adjacent foreign nations. Not sure out of Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas which ones they are...but before going nuts over it all...a little research may see there is leeway.

In Canada, we had a requirement for a station license, renewed annually. That was abandoned a decade or more ago, we retain the requirement for a personal VHF license, but no station license. The personal vhf license is non-expiring.

When we switched about five years ago, it was due to the Bahamas not being an exception. But that might have changed.

We were able to reprogram one VHF but the other had to be sent out for a week and $70. The AIS was reprogrammed but required a CD (which came with the AIS) and laptop. For $125 I had an electronics tech come to the boat. I wasn’t sure what I could or could not accomplish. As it turned out he had to call Icom and Simrad. My recollection was that the $220 FCC fee is good for 10 years.

Yes, it's expensive at $220... mostly govt BS.

And dealing with the FCC is not easy. When I did it 30 years ago, was cheap and easy. Not so, today. Last time I did it a while ago, their "download" you license didn't work and took several months to get help and finally they emailed it to me.

Back
Top Bottom