Driving boat on and off plane in heavier seas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So for your full displacement guys and galls, you can ignore this video though it might be helpful for dinghy driving. I found this video helpful with driving a boat through up sea, side sea, down sea and quartering:

Last edited:
Boring,

pete

I'm about a third of the way in. I wouldn't say it's boring, myself. Sure, maybe you could get all the same info on one page of text; but isn't part of the point to just enjoy some time out on the water with some nice people? Also, I think it may be geared a bit more toward beginners than old salts like you.

I'm not a beginner, but I've always had either fast boats on small lakes (so no swells), or sailboats on big water (no planing to "worry" about). So I can always pick up some tips, and if they are presented by pleasant, well-spoken people on a nice sunny day, great.

(Side note, another way I picked up some tips was by watching, of all things, the "Haulover" videos of endless boats going in and out the inlet. Most blast through, but every once in awhile a boat comes in slow and neat as a pin, riding the back of a wave just as these women suggest. No drama, just smooth sailing :)

Anyway, thanks for posting the link rsn48. I'll watch the rest and enjoy some sunny time on the water and perhaps pick up a tip or two.

For those who wrote it off as "boring" I'm curious: Is it because you thought it was a badly made video? Or is it just that the material is nothing you are interested in because you either already know it, or it doesn't apply to you?

(I got distracted helping someone on a project and still haven't watched the second 2/3.)

I don't pretend to know it all and I found this video helpful, especially discussing boat trim which is pretty much a non-issue for trawlers and the like, unless a fast trawler. Where they use their trim tabs, I'd probably use my stern leg adjustment up and down.

And I post a lot of material geared to the newbie here. Why not? We have lots of newbies here.

I watched it and what they covered I learned years ago. NO, I am no expert.
Now I have no choice at 7 - 8K but to use tactics for a slow boat.

I do not feel though that the video was useless or boring. We in fact have had members on here that could have used some of the tips they gave.
Mostly they were concerned with a fast boat that can adjust speed a lot for better control but for the inexperienced still learning the video may be usefull.

I confess to fast forwarding through much of that video.
In training with RCMSAR, I had the privilege of helming in the biggest waves we can find around here. We were out on a day on which there was a strong wind warning, and we sought the biggest waves. Those were in Georgia Strait, along the side of Valdes Island, just north of Porier Pass. Our boat is a 29' Titan RIB with a pair of Yamaha 225s, with lots of trim adjustment.
The trick is to recognize when your boat is susceptible to "stuffing" the bow, and learn the tricks to avoid that happening. In those waves, 6 to 8 ft, steep and irregular, there weren't any times when I was concerned for the safety of the boat or any of the crew, though it was quite exciting. The best ride is to balance on the crest of the tallest wave, staying there until the wave dies out, then go find another.
Going with the waves is easier, though more dangerous than going into them. That is only a factor of speed, as going downwind you can easily go quite a bit faster than the wave train, but heading into them that is simply not possible.

Going downwind in a flat transom boat, especially one that can plane, is one of those times where there's no such thing as "enough" power. 95% of the time I'd say my boat is well powered, but when running downwind, if I feel like not just pacing the waves, I could use another couple of knots at max continuous. Being able to go a bit faster would help with the issue of slowing down as you climb a wave, slowly chugging up it and eventually mushing your way over the top to then surf down it.

There is no video I have seen on youtube, no matter how poorly produced, no matter what expertise of the persons involved, no matter what boat type used -------- that I have not learned SOMETHING from - a small tidbit here and there, or a "I'd never do THAT" moment, always adds something to my (however limited) mental storage base.

Last edited:
I do enjoy seeing young people trying to do something positive with there lives. They seem like good kids.

Back
Top Bottom