Overland Boat Transportation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
Does anyone know a reputable overland trucking company we can research to ship our little 15' x 7'6" wide new sailboat from Maine to San Diego? Looking for a closed truck to protect the boat. Thanks

John T. N4050, N4061, N3522, H38E - former owner

Marshall Marine 15' Sandpiper Cat Sailboat - new owner

Height may be the issue if it has a keel? But might be able to & worth it to remove the keel and replace it on the other end?
Wondering the Pods are big enough? You might include them for research. You will likely need to build a cradle or have someone build one for you.
The cradle will likely need to include design to allow loading with a fork truck & extensions.
The other option that could work (depending on height) would be to load on a flatbed and tarp or shrink wrap it.

I’d contact a car transporter. They move cars/suvs all over the country.

What does the manufacturer say? They have been made since almost since I’ve been born. Your question has probably come up before.

Congratulations!

15-foot long x 7.5 feet wide, right? If so, you might try posting on U-Ship

Be careful and check out any mover you find. I tried UShip and had some bids but when I did even a basic check on the companies I found them to be very unreputable. Not saying all of them are bad but check carefully.

Looking for a closed truck to protect the boat. Thanks

Get it shrink wrapped for the trip then you do not need enclosed.

Any boat transporter can move it on their equipment. However, to move it enclosed is likely not a boat transporter. The best job for enclosed would likely be a household moving company.

You really need to determine if a bouncy ride like that on the trailer is something it can handle or what reinforcement might be needed. I would think it best to add additional support so the weight and impact was on a broader surface. Household moving vans also ride softer than many other trailers although trailer ride varies greatly. Household movers also vary with the best being those who move expensive antiques and grand pianos and precious cargo.

Doesn't it come with a trailer ? You could shrink wrap it on the trailer and it could be pulled by any small SUV or truck.

I have used this company a few times with excellent success:

https://www.jouleyacht.com

Joule is the best of the boat transport companies. There may be others equal but none better. They do a lot of transport for builders. If they are not right for this job, which I don't think they probably are, then likely they can steer you in the right direction.

We used this one based in Hastings, MN but they ship nationwide. Could not have been happier with their shipping work, and they worked very well with the marinas on both ends, from Coeymans Landing Marina on the Hudson (NY) to Lewis & Clark Marina in Yankton, South Dakota. They have an online gallery so you can see they work they've done. That boat you want to move though is pretty small, might be a much cheaper and easier way to do it.

https://www.crosscountryboat.com/

Cheapest is probably to crate it and ship LTL. A boat mover is going to charge a ton of money for that boat, unless they can move 3 at once. Or buy a trailer, move it yourself, then sell the trailer.

Joule is the best of the boat transport companies. There may be others equal but none better. They do a lot of transport for builders. If they are not right for this job, which I don't think they probably are, then likely they can steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for this link Judy and B&B! I've been looking for someone to move a 36' GB (if it's possible).

Please let us know whom you use and how it goes.

I will. I suspect my height may be an issue but I’m hoping someone can do it otherwise I’m looking at spring before she can come by water.

Be sure to speak with a representative, not just fill out an online form. Give precise measurements from different heights. For example, if the flybridge windshield can be removed, that might be just enough to lower the height to be transportable. If she has a bimini, not just folding down the bimini but does removing it reduce her height even more?

Nice boat, one of my favorites. If you ship her on a trailer that should give a soft ride and also make it easier to handle, iirc the Sandpiper weighs about 1000 pounds. If you don’t need the trailer you should be able to sell it fairly easily when you are done ( boats tend to last a lot longer than trailers ).

Sounds like it would fit in a small Sea Land container.Might be the cheapest to have moved.

Old thread now. He shipped the sailboat and trailer and it was unfortunately damaged in the process.

We need details please! Was it related to the fault of the shipper? If so, please provide the name. Are there any lessons to be learned? C'mon, we shared information that deserves our further edification.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom