Old 10-05-2022, 02:33 AM   #1

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Outrageous Treatment

Well, our snowbird migration is not off to a very good start. As we aporoached Kingston NY we were overwhelmed with the desire for a meal at the incredible Old Savannah restaurant. Called and they said they had room. Got there and they only had room for small boats. The museum docks were full with a small cruise ship.

So, we went up to the city marina dock just past the bridge and called the number. Someone answered and immediately hung up or connection broke before any communication. No signs or instructions other than to put $10.00 for two hours in the box after hours. Needed a $10.00 bill so went to dinner, came back, and put it in the box. Found boat locked to dock with cable. Called again. No answer. Phone rang 20 seconds later and it was the Sherriff's office. Clearly confusing us with another boat because he claims we told him earlier we were not coming in. We never had a conversation with anyone other than the restaurant today. He said, "I'll deal with you in the morning.", and hung up. The chain was put on before we had used up the time we paid for. We were deprived of the choice of depositing additional money to stay the night or anchoring outside for an early start by the premature chaining. I'm thinking of staying tomorrow to see if I can talk to the mayor about this.

This town will never get any business from me again. I loved Old Savannah but, never again.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:15 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Sympathies. There's nothing as off-putting as 'officious officialdom'..!
Old 10-05-2022, 06:22 AM   #3

Someone just came down, unlocked the boat, apologized profusely, and said he would find out what happened. I think the impatient anger I felt on the phone last night was directed at someone else.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'm glad it worked out. A few pieces of unsolicited advice...

1) We travel with a few hundred dollars worth of small bills (mostly $5's & $10's). We tip any dockhand who helps us dock/depart (gas docks, marinas, etc.), as well as the pump-out boats, and occasionally cabs and tenders.

2) In such a situation, we would have left someone on the boat, otherwise the vessel looks like a squatter until someone had been notified of our presence or we paid.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I would have cut the lock and left.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'm glad it worked out. A few pieces of unsolicited advice...

1) We travel with a few hundred dollars worth of small bills (mostly $5's & $10's).

We do too but I'd forgotten. It had been a long day. I actually used that to pay for the dockage.

The deserted dock on a rainy night, no communication, and off season vibe let me think we could afford an hour to drop 100 + bucks at a local business, our only reason for not anchoring outside or up at the end of the creek as we often have.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
Guru

City: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Well-used keyed padlocks are notoriously easy to pick. Generally within about 5 seconds you'd be out of there. Learn some creative skills which might come in handy
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Tis why battery operated grinders were invented.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:14 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Well, our snowbird migration is not off to a very good start. As we aporoached Kingston NY we were overwhelmed with the desire for a meal at the incredible Old Savannah restaurant. Called and they said they had room. Got there and they only had room for small boats. The museum docks were full with a small cruise ship.

So, we went up to the city marina dock just past the bridge and called the number. Someone answered and immediately hung up or connection broke before any communication. No signs or instructions other than to put $10.00 for two hours in the box after hours. Needed a $10.00 bill so went to dinner, came back, and put it in the box. Found boat locked to dock with cable. Called again. No answer. Phone rang 20 seconds later and it was the Sherriff's office. Clearly confusing us with another boat because he claims we told him earlier we were not coming in. We never had a conversation with anyone other than the restaurant today. He said, "I'll deal with you in the morning.", and hung up. The chain was put on before we had used up the time we paid for. We were deprived of the choice of depositing additional money to stay the night or anchoring outside for an early start by the premature chaining. I'm thinking of staying tomorrow to see if I can talk to the mayor about this.

This town will never get any business from me again. I loved Old Savannah but, never again.

Not that I agree that the situation could have been handled better, but from your post, it appears that an official (I'll refer to him/her as an enforcement officer) of some type came down to the dock, found a boat tied up there, no one was aboard, and the required fee had not been deposited into the box . . . he/she then secured the boat for non-payment of fees.
I realize you paid the fees later, and before you noted that your boat had been "arrested", but from the point of view of the "enforcement officer", it appears to me that your boat was in legitimate violation.
Could the issue have been handled better? Probably, yes.
Did they make it right the next day? Yes, they did.
Was the incident irritating, inconvenient, and humiliating? Yes, it was
Was the "enforcement officer" operating operating outside the bounds of his/her authority? No way of knowing for sure, without more information, but at first blush, probably not. . . .
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it!
Old 10-05-2022, 05:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Or hacksaws.

We spent a couple days at that city marina in Kingston, generally had a good time, but as I recall the supermarket was a taxi ride away and kind of a pain in the neck. And they were hosting some kind of rowing/sculling tournament that weekend so we had to wait for breaks and then race back to the river. I see they still have those fantastic deviled eggs on the appetizer menu at Ole Savannnah.

And my father whacked the boat hard against a piling on the way into the slip, but that's another story.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post

Ok, I understand that you were upset, however if you docked and went to dinner without paying for the dockage, then come back sometime later and get upset when they padlocked the boat. I have to believe that you were actually in the wrong here. You docked and left without paying. The city comes and padlocks the boat so they can ensure that you pay for the dockage. Whoever padlocked the boat while you were at dinner couldnít know for a certainty that you would actually pay for the dock or not. Personally I would have left someone at the boat while I went to get change to pay for the dockage. Then if someone comes along with a padlock they could tell the person that you had gone for change. That would have made everyone happy.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I found out that calling the local police can help a lot when parking (boats or RVs) is in question.

When an issue arose in Darien, GA..... the police told me to park my RV in the only lot in the whole town that said NO RV PARKING. Kinda worried me.

I call the police station and when I explained to the Seargent on duty...his comment was "ignore the mayor, who do you think enforces parking....wink....wink...."
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I'm always on the lookout for restaurants I can visit by water. Last time I was in Kingston I was discouraged enough by the aggressive signs along the section by the restaurant to turn around and leave without stopping.

On the bright side, it sounds like you got a good rate for overnight dockage
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
i think i would have dropped a note into the paybox with contact info and an explanation as to why my boat was parked there and look forward to seeing them in the morning.
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:50 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
i think i would have dropped a note into the paybox with contact info and an explanation as to why my boat was parked there and look forward to seeing them in the morning.
Bingo.
An IOU with contact info.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:30 PM   #16

City: Valley Cottage NY
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: Seaton 50 expedition trawler
Quote:
Hmmm, so, theft of services has damage to property added to it? And you are either State registered or USCG documented.

Smart move. NOT!
Old 10-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
Hmmm, so, theft of services has damage to property added to it? And you are either State registered or USCG documented.

Smart move. NOT!
"theft of services" not proven. "padlocked"-proven.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote