Old 02-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Hudson River Lake Champlain cruise

Ok, planning a cruise up Hudson River this summer. Doing the cruise in a 36 ft Gulfstar trawler. Need 20 ft clearance minimum. Looking for some kind of cruising guides, any suggestions?
All guides I have seen on line are outdated.

kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Air draft wise, you have to fit under a 17 foot bridge to get up the Champlain canal.

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Lots of info online from NY Canals, AGLCA, & Others.
Here is the NY Canals site.
https://www.canals.ny.gov/boating/bridgeheights.html
One variable is the wayer level as times of high water significantly change clearances.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Rockland
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Kady Krogen 42
Kpinn,

At max water you need 15 and a half feet to get under some of the bridges in the canal. Check bridges C14-22
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I have to believe you can get a Gulfstar 36 down below 17 feet by lowering various appurtenances. It's not a taller boat than my old Hatteras 56, which I could get easily down to about 18'6" even before taking off the FB venturi windshield, stepping the davit, etc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Anchoring on either side of the Hudson you will get to enjoy the sound of trains going by.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Anchoring on either side of the Hudson you will get to enjoy the sound of trains going by.
I love "train" anchorages! One more good reason to cruise the Hudson, thanks

(I'm not the OP, but still reading along.)
Frosty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Guru

The trains come into play in very few spots where you would actually anchor. Not a factor when planning this fantastic cruise.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 02-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Memory Lane (fiberglass)
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacemaker 40 Flush deck Motor Yacht
What I think I remember was going north the bridge just before lock 12 was the lowest. My flybridge throttles and shifters are my highest point at 15 1/2 feet. I shut the engines off and hand push pulled my boat under the bridge with 1/2 inch to spare between the throttles and the bottom of the bridge.
It is a great trip, do it if you can.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
This sounds like great fun.

If you had no intention to do the Eire canal nor go to Champlain where would you stop going up and down.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Meima View Post
What I think I remember was going north the bridge just before lock 12 was the lowest. My flybridge throttles and shifters are my highest point at 15 1/2 feet. I shut the engines off and hand push pulled my boat under the bridge with 1/2 inch to spare between the throttles and the bottom of the bridge.
It is a great trip, do it if you can.

Sounds like you had high water conditions when you went. That bridge lists at 14.52 feet at max pool level, but 18.02 feet at normal pool. The lowest bridge at normal pool level is listed at 17.03 feet. However, there are 2 consecutive bridges with lower clearance (15.46 and 16.10 feet), but the website indicates they can drop the water up to 6 feet on request for more clearance in that area.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Susan and Alan McKibben put out a nice cruising guide up until about 20 years ago. A lot of the content is still relevant and useful. There was one for sale in the classifieds a few months ago.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #13

City: Here and there
I liked this guy’s website.

The Travels of the trawler Tug 44 on the Erie Canal and New York Canal System
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #14
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Sounds like you had high water conditions when you went. That bridge lists at 14.52 feet at max pool level, but 18.02 feet at normal pool. The lowest bridge at normal pool level is listed at 17.03 feet. However, there are 2 consecutive bridges with lower clearance (15.46 and 16.10 feet), but the website indicates they can drop the water up to 6 feet on request for more clearance in that area.
I’m supposing lower water water levels are more common in the fall? I’m trying to decide if transitioning Lake Champlain is something we could attempt if we arrived in Waterford and there were low seasonal water levels. With everything off the radar arch, our air draft is around 17’—possibly less with full tanks.

To travel from Waterford to the St Lawrence, what is the minimum height for any bridge that cannot be manipulated by the lock operators?
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Wappingers Falls, NY
Vessel Name: Dream Come True
Vessel Model: 2000 Rosborough RF-246 & 2018 18' Carolina Skiff Center Console
Hippocampus

If not traveling the canals then a good turnaround spot is the Waterford Harbor Visitor's Center (Harbor Visitors Center - Town of Waterford, NY), about 2 1/4 miles north of the Federal Lock at Troy. Nice facilities (water/electric/showers/helpful volunteer staff) with easy walk to village. Nice restaurant (McGrievey's) plus breakfast cafe, pizza shop, laundromat and a gas station with small store. Can walk to Hanaford's grocery store on the opposite shore bridge with nice sidewalk about 5/8 mile. Taxi/Uber easily available.

Free 2 day dockage, water, pumpout and believe they charged for electricity (cheap). Good docks on first come basis. It fills fast on busy days. A pleasant place to stop after a long day. Usually vendors and frequent events during weekends. Plenty of benches and shade trees. Erie Lock 2 is next door. Most times can find dockage across the river at Troy Boat Club (Troy Motor BoatÂ*andÂ*Canoe Club - Troy Motor Boat and Canoe Club) if full.

No fuel but best local gas/diesel is at Albany Yacht Club about 11 miles south. This club is a good alternate stop.

Leonard
Leonard Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
X2 on a stop at Waterford. They also have Skipper Bobs Guides in the office. As others said there is a train bridge C-28 with a 17.0 clearance on the Champlain Canal Mile 60.0.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I’m supposing lower water water levels are more common in the fall? I’m trying to decide if transitioning Lake Champlain is something we could attempt if we arrived in Waterford and there were low seasonal water levels. With everything off the radar arch, our air draft is around 17’—possibly less with full tanks.

To travel from Waterford to the St Lawrence, what is the minimum height for any bridge that cannot be manipulated by the lock operators?

You'd probably want to check with the canal corp on water levels. But they usually post alerts if the water levels are above normal pool level. They regulate pretty well unless there's really wet weather.

For the Champlain canal, lowest clearance at normal pool is listed at 17.03 feet. Lowest clearance at maximum pool is listed at 14.20 feet, but it would be rare for water levels to be that high (and they'd certainly have alerts out if they were). Not sure about bridge clearance on the Canadian end of things, however.

When you get to Waterford you'd likely be able to confirm whether there are higher than normal water levels and therefore reduced clearance. If clearance is good, go up the Champlain Canal. If not, go west on the Erie Canal and up the Oswego Canal. That route has just over 21 feet of clearance at normal pool levels and just over 19 feet at the worst point at maximum pool levels.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: H20
Vessel Name: OLOH
Vessel Model: 60 Jefferson Marquessa Motor Yacht
We created a pretty extensive primer on cruising the Hudson River which can be found here: https://myoloh.com/cruising-the-hudson-river

Hope it helps at least a little in your planning.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #19
Guru

Another great guide, which gives a lot of background and history as well, is the one Larry Zeitlin put out. Still a lot of great content.

http://mvsanderling.net/Blog/wp-cont...River-2015.pdf

Virtually all the towns along the way are worth visiting, starting with Croton-on-Hudson. Read the various guides and take your pick.
If you time the tides correctly, you can pick up a knot or so coming and going. The indigenous name of the Hudson was "river that runs both ways'.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #20

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

As a retired railroader the sound of the trains is music to my ears because the railroad bought my boat and everything else I have.

ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote