Is this a dumb question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolph

So, I am doing as much research as I can in boat handling, diesel maintenance, different boat models .. but I really don't see anything in print regarding how does one find a home for a "trawler". Launching, hauling out, storage on the hard, marina, moorings ... My 14 ft outboard is on a trailer .. I can launch at a public launch, and when done for the day, retrieve and park in the driveway. How does one learn about the ins & outs of these details?

Hmmm, what size trawler?
The great city of Randolph is located in which state? Perhaps an internet search such as, 'marina near Randolph, (state)'??

Don't have the boat yet.. figuring 28 to 32 ft to start. Randolph is in Maine and landlocked .. this seems to be one topic that no one has written a book about. :)

Don't have the boat yet.. figuring 28 to 32 ft to start. Randolph is in Maine and landlocked .. this seems to be one topic that no one has written a book about. :)

If you are planning on a trailer trawler, you are in the correct footage. Consider building a shed to house it, protect it and allow you to work on it during the dark days of winter. Have you considered a barn?
You do not want to upset the town council.
Sometimes these small towns have founding fathers who think they can control EVERYTHING, including what you put in your drive and back yards.

Last edited:
There are some really nice trailerable trawler style boats. A couple that were on my radar:

Acadia 25
Rosborough 26
Albin 28 tournament express
Cape dory (not sure the size)

There are a handful of builders out there that have nice styles.

Peter

So, I am doing as much research as I can in boat handling, diesel maintenance, different boat models .. but I really don't see anything in print regarding how does one find a home for a "trawler". Launching, hauling out, storage on the hard, marina, moorings ... My 14 ft outboard is on a trailer .. I can launch at a public launch, and when done for the day, retrieve and park in the driveway. How does one learn about the ins & outs of these details?

Well, there’s...here :)

I thought that US Power Squadrons use to have a publication on the care and feeding for your liveaboard size yacht, but I could be misremembering.

LOL This will START you on boats that fit trailers.

I would drive to some towns on the coast and talk to people at the marinas, probably work better in the spring. Then you will have a feel for the area you may like to dock your boat. As you figure out where you like then talk to marinas and look for winter storage. As you go around talk to boaters and ask their opinions about where they like to boat. Good luck.

Marinas usually list the services offered in waterway guides, Chamber of C pubs etc. State Fish and Game usually list boat launches and some bait and tackle shops. Game wardens are usually full of info on fishing holes. Boat dealers usually know the local marinas prettey well.

Shoe leather and internet searches!!

Visit many, look at the boats around there, if you can talk to boat owners, and get your own opinion.

L

There are some really nice trailerable trawler style boats. A couple that were on my radar:

Acadia 25
Rosborough 26
Albin 28 tournament express
Cape dory (not sure the size)

There are a handful of builders out there that have nice styles.

Peter
Yes, and you could certainly add to the above the Ranger Tugs, several of which are trailerable.

PS. There's no such thing as a dumb question, however, there are sometimes the odd dumb answers.

Ranger Tugs | Quality Cruising Tug Boats

ranger tug cruisers - Bing

Last edited:
Sign up to Active Captain and look at their chart of your area to see the marinas and their details.

Sign up to Active Captain and look at their chart of your area to see the marinas and their details.

I came here to suggest this^

How much time to drive to Marina Bay, seems like prime boat marina area. Quite a few will have their boat in the water some distance away. My marina has about 15 % from Alberta, they fly in and boat in our coastal waters. Others will drive a couple of hours or more to get to their boat.

My boat is a one hour away drive, but I'd rather drive it than boat it. I find an hour is no big deal.

I sometimes use waterwayguide.com, not as nice as Active Captain but has a lot of the same info.

When we lived in Tucson we kept our big boat in San Diego, about 420 miles each way. Still able to get there about 45 weekends a year. So anywhere in Maine would be a piece of cake driving.

Do you know how you plan to use the boat?
How many persons on board?
What waters you would like to be in?
Purchase and maintained budget and it will always me much higher than you plan.
Answer those questions and your off to a start.

Hmmm, what size trawler?
The great city of Randolph is located in which state? Perhaps an internet search such as, 'marina near Randolph, (state)'??
This is why I think members should at least include the state in their profile. The state/province/or country should at least be included, less exact city, etc., location, if they want.

I have a sense this is about security, but the above general location would be great. As to "location," ok, this is where you are now, separate from your home location.
And, yeah, I know, this is OT, but it applies to so many other threads that I used this as a chance to express my frustration w/ not knowing where members are in posting.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great answers. Looking to start small, just two of us, and begin on the coast of ME. Not necessarily looking for a trailer trawler and working out the budget based on a lot of information on here. I'll check into some of the guides listed. Have a great day.

Near Gardiner? Hop in the car and go to the Brewer’s Marina in S. Freeport. Probably the closest full service marina. Tell them what your intentions are and ask about slips or moorings, haulout, storage, etc. Walk around and get a feel for how things operate.

Or, go to Dolphin Marina in Harpswell. Smaller operation but nicest folks in the world and a great restaurant.

Both less than an hour drive and access to Casco Bay and points down east.

Hopping to be able to take a couple of road trips, visiting marinas in the spring. Maybe even without a mask...

Well, if you are thinking about expanding to a non-trailer boat, you may consider 30+ and a reasonable beam. Walk around decks subtract from the interior space so they dont need to be high on your list. Walking through the boat is fine.
Key features to me, diesel main engine, diesel generator, reverse cycle A/C, separate shower (wet head, to me is a negative.) A bow thruster even on a mid 30ft boat is a plus, stern thruster.... an added plus.
Of course with all that, even a nice (non-project) boat, $200,000+
You have all winter to do an internet search in your area. Talk with the brokers or owner.... Try to narrow it down to 6 or 7 boats to visit in late spring.
Once in the water, ask for a quick walk through to see if it is laid out and equipped to your desire.... Later you can start adding and changing. SMILE
I suspect after a walk through, you will have narrowed it down even further.
Well, now you are down to 2 boats..... LOL Survey, make an offer and always remember, if you are turned down, there will always be another boat. Maybe the next boat will start your heart on fire.

I looked up Randolph, it's right on the Kennebec River, South of Augusta. Active Captain shows a marina called Foggy Bottom Marine just across the river. I haven't been there, but it seems like a drive over for a chat would be a good starting point. The Kennebec would be a great home port. Plenty to see and do up and down the river, and access to the whole coast of Maine for longer trips.

Find an area you like.Doesn't matter if it is a coastal town, a river or estuary or large inland lake (Great Lakes). Drive around, near the water, when you see several hundred sailboat masts sticking into the air like a big aluminum forest, you have found your new home. Works in the winter as well as the summer.

pete

When I lived up north, I practiced the Covid "drill" all winter long. Only leave the house for food.
With all that practice, now I find it easy to remain indoors. LOL

sorry, i see you are from Florida. up here in the Puget sound area, the boats like that are hauled out after you finished your trip and than placed on the beach with shore power and security. when you are ready to go boating, you just drive to your boat, load it up and they will launch you with you onboard. The other option is to call and they will have the boat fueled (it is cheaper than at a marina) and sitting at a dock waiting for you to depart.

Foggy Bottom marina is right across the river .. very small .. attached to a summer camp ground. And back to the $200,000+ ... hmmm I guess the old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" is true ha ha ...

Back
Top Bottom