Just joined the Trawler Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Three Rings

Vessel Name
Three Rings
Hi, we just bought our 39-Mainship in August after a very long search and couldn't be more excited to own this boat. Had a terrific initial voyage bringing it home, picked it up in Gore Bay in the North Channel, Ontario and just under 3 weeks we arrived in Parry Sound, Georgian Bay - what a trip!

Excited to share and learn from others on this Forum.

We have a single diesel engine, bow thruster and are considering putting a stern thruster on as we believe during those times when we're docking in a stiff wind and don't have help at the dock, it would make it easier to handle the boat when it's just the 2 of us. Thoughts on our strategy are welcome.

Same set-up here! I also added a stern thruster right away. Be sure and get the wireless remote to control both!

Hi, we just bought our 39-Mainship in August after a very long search and couldn't be more excited to own this boat. Had a terrific initial voyage bringing it home, picked it up in Gore Bay in the North Channel, Ontario and just under 3 weeks we arrived in Parry Sound, Georgian Bay - what a trip!

Excited to share and learn from others on this Forum.

We have a single diesel engine, bow thruster and are considering putting a stern thruster on as we believe during those times when we're docking in a stiff wind and don't have help at the dock, it would make it easier to handle the boat when it's just the 2 of us. Thoughts on our strategy are welcome.

Congrats on your new Mainship - a handsome and practical boat, IMO. Nothing wrong with the strategy you describe except for the part about "docking in a stiff wind." In windy conditions, the effectiveness of a bow or stern thruster falls off quickly. The responsiveness that you come to expect in calm or mild conditions just won't be there. The force of your engine and propellor against a rudder turned hard over, against the direction you want the stern to move, will do the job.

Same set-up here! I also added a stern thruster right away. Be sure and get the wireless remote to control both!
Congrats on the MS.
Our 34HT came with both B & S. I added the remote before doing the TSW and heading your way in 2019. The remote has come in handy at times in locks when the first mate needed an assist. It has also proved helpful when storing / retrieving bow lines from piles at our home port slip.
You are certainly in the middle of some spectacular cruising grounds..
With above said you might try yours as is for a season to see if you really need the stern unit.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. They are very nice. I am installing both bow and stern thrusters this winter. You will love them!

Consider a wireless DockMate. You will have control of the fwd and aft bow thruster plus fwd and aft creeping speed.

Welcome and congrats on the 39 Mainship. Sounds like a good plan you have. The extra thruster will make things a lot less stressful in my opinion. I'm all about that. Now what about...

Back
Top Bottom