Hi there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanttotrawl

So this is a new interest of mine. Other than some sailing and ski boat experience I'm a landlubber. As I near retirement I'm casting about for the next thing in life. The idea of living aboard has been bouncing around in my head since visiting with a new friend docked in the marina in Ensanada. I have a huge amount to learn and this site was suggested to me by a member. So here I am, I'll try not to be too annoying.

Welcome aboard TF
Lots of good people here with a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share.
Some of us can be a bit testy at times but that's usually done with a smile.
Hope you enjoy the crew

Welcome aboard! Were in Ensenada ourselves right now, Baja Naval. Who’s your friend, Ill go introduce myself!

Cheers

Crusty Chief the couple are Jeff and Laura on Nomad. Friends of a friend of mine who took us over to meet them and check out their boat. Very cool folks who really got me thinking about all of this. Mark

Welcome from a soon to be first time trawler owner

I hope your dreams all come true. I am about eight years away from retirement if things go well and am already planning for a similar situation. The great loop is the first thing up after retirement. I have owned many boats, but never a trawler. I suppose they are all boats, but trawlers really are a pretty unique sub species which is likely why this forum exists. Use the search function as much as possible and then ask away if you are not learning what you want to learn. There is still quite a bit of uncharted territory that possibly you will be informing us on. Bill

Hi Mark...I owned a trawler for 3 years, a Nordhavn, and have now been 5 years without. I expect to buy another trawler next month, in November, if the inspection goes well. Right now I have another coastal cruiser and I can tell you that there is just something special about trawlers.

To keep myself mentally challenged in retirement I became a paramedic and then a critical care paramedic. That is the highest level in EMS in the US. But then I re-retired in December of 2018, sort of. I was being asked to work more hours than the full timers, and at 70 years of age that was getting old. Still, I am maintaining certification and covering sporting events, but only a dozen or so per year.

But boating is my "main" hobby now, and one I am fully enjoying.

I don't think you can go wrong getting into the trawler lifestyle, and I hope you enjoy it for many years. As others have said, this site has a wealth of knowledge with hundreds, maybe thousands of people anxious to help you navigate whatever issues you will wish to pursue.

Again, welcome.

Grant Jonsson

Thank you gents! Much appreciated. I love doing research and learning about new things.We're a few years away from making a purchase as I simply don't have time to travel to a marina and use a boat right now. One of the problems of being landlocked and a couple of hours away from the closest marina which would be on the Sacramento Delta.
Looking forward to the search though! Mark

Crusty Chief the couple are Jeff and Laura on Nomad. Friends of a friend of mine who took us over to meet them and check out their boat. Very cool folks who really got me thinking about all of this. Mark

Hi Mark,

They must be at another marina or gone, dont see Nomad here.

Welcome aboard, WTT! There are many of us SF Bay and CA Delta boaters here. We also have a social group for local issues and get togethers. Here's a link...

Trawler Forum - San Francisco Bay and California Delta Cruisers

I know folks with Delta or Bay boats who live in Reno and Carson City so you're close enough. I started with a bowrider in 2000 and in 2007 I upgraded to a trawler 5 year before retirement. It was a great way to learn lots about the CA Delta and Delta boating.

Finding the "just right" boat can take time. Enjoy the hunt!

They're at the one at the north end of town not the cruise port.
Hotel Coral Marina perhaps (a couple of miles north of town)? There’s also Botes Juanitos about a hundred yards north of Baja Naval.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom