forum intro - tvtfc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not AI, they are much more adaptive to critiques.

Hey Alexa, is tvtfc a bot.

Alexa: No way, we have standards to uphold. Would you like another glass of scotch?

I had hypothesized that people who were attracted to so-called 'trawlers' in their old age would have tended toward being those who worked in the marine industry in their earlier days. Sadly that doesn't really seem to be the case. A proficiency in accounting seems like it is probably more the norm. Oh well.

Yeah, I've been scanning the forum to see what useful meat might be on the bone, but it's slim pickings. Didn't even bother with the other forums. The wannabe-seaman/real-experiance ratio seems comparable dismal.

I'm interested in mirco-boats as they do have a place in my plans, but it's not my main focus at this point. Ergo no real point in engaging to much about boat/ship stuff here.

I'm sure that there are a number of people with deep commercial marine experience here, but they would probably be the types who keep their mouths shut unless they have something worthwhile to say. The other bored 'lifestyle' people are not very interesting to me, and this thread seems to have really chummed them out.

I may post a 'help wanted' on this forum to see if anyone promising steps forward. As usual, one gets what they pay for.

---

Edit: In skimming things just now, that Mako guy seems to have a clue and some experience in the type of environments which are of potential use to me. If he wants some light 'work from home' gig while I'm in the feasibility phase of my planning (and maybe longer), he is free to contact me.

Any other 'deck meat' who has spent a good long time with their eyes open, and participated in non-trivial aspects of planning an implementation of commercial marine work is similarly invited. I'm especially in need of information about stern trawlers in the 75'-125' range.

Oh, one more thing: Payments on a per-task or per-session basis in crypto-currency.

Last edited:
There are certainly forums out there for commercial mariners but this isn’t one of them and doesn’t pretend to be. The topics and conversations here are primarily about recreational trawlers. Maybe you would be happier on another site that better suits your own imaginary level of expertise.

And don’t forget your hat.

All that said, I do have an arrogant prick hat that fits well and is fun to wear.

I have the commercial/recreational experience and responded early.... now not so interested....but still will respond to specific questions.

Have a lot of friends that are/were commercial fisherman and have a lot of respect for them, then there was the overabundance of them that I had to save or assist or prosecute in my 2 careers......

Last edited:
There are certainly forums out there for commercial mariners but this isn’t one of them and doesn’t pretend to be. The topics and conversations here are primarily about recreational trawlers. Maybe you would be happier on another site that better suits your own imaginary level of expertise.

And don’t forget your hat.

Probably would. Gotta link?

All output so far, and mostly irrelevant spew. I still don’t know what you are looking for or asking other than some jibberish about datasets and tabulations of who-knows-what. Yet you judge and insult everyone. You are just babbling to yourself, because apparently you have nothing constructive to say.

I have the commercial/recreational experience and responded early.... now not so interested....but still will respond to specific questions.

Have a lot of friends that are/were commercial fisherman and have a lot of respect for them, then there was the overabundance of them that I had to save or assist or prosecute in my 2 careers......

The last time I remember a Fed helping me out was when a CG guard influenced me to stay farther to the South jetty at one of the bars in Oregon. I don't remember which one. Not Coos Bay, and certainly not that hole in the cliff near Yachats. Charleston perhaps. I was about 14 and I appreciate it to this day. As I say, the USCG didn't operate in Bristol Bay. At least the weather radio systems worked, although even then we mainly tuned in to the plain old commercial radio station to hear the report.

As for your help earlier, I said 'thanks' (and meant it) but again, it took some doing.

I'm not so crude as to disparage your maritime experience as 'helicopter-belly meat' who gained experience by flying over ships from time to time. Because I'm not a troll like that other guy :)

Anyway, I edited my other post with a quasi-offer. If you know anyone who might be interested (probably someone on the been-prosecuted side) then please let them know. Not so interested in the ones you had to save unless it was due to completely unanticipated circumstances, or if they took risks because they themselves were first-responders.

"Belly meat"?

You just proved everything others think of you.

I mean you didn't claim to be a pilot. That leave the impression that you were in the back with some binoculars and/or a hand on the winch lever. Or maybe a rescue swimmer?

I mean there is nothing wrong with that, and I would assume that you learned a hell of a lot about all aspects of rescue missions and such. Probably a lot of other things as well. I would consider you a very reliable source about all of the elements of running a USCG rescue team no matter what your role since you seem to be the kind of person who likes to know stuff.

Most thinking people would make the same assumptions about anyone who held a job for a period of time and who was flexible enough to take on a variety of roles when the need would arise. Of course most people are not really 'thinking people' or people who have done very much of consequence. This thread seems to attract them like a flame attracts a moth.

I do it so rarely I can't remember how to put a user on <ignore>. Oh yeah, now I remember.

I mean you didn't claim to be a pilot. That leave the impression that you were in the back with some binoculars and/or a hand on the winch lever. Or maybe a rescue swimmer?

I mean there is nothing wrong with that, and I would assume that you learned a hell of a lot about all aspects of rescue missions and such. Probably a lot of other things as well. I would consider you a very reliable source about all of the elements of running a USCG rescue team no matter what your role since you seem to be the kind of person who likes to know stuff.

Most thinking people would make the same assumptions about anyone who held a job for a period of time and who was flexible enough to take on a variety of roles when the need would arise. Of course most people are not really 'thinking people' or people who have done very much of consequence. This thread seems to attract them like a flame attracts a moth.

You seem to know a lot about people’s backgrounds, when you actually know very, very little, like nothing, about the people you are talking to. Just dismissing everyone as a poser. I think the only poser you are talking to is standing in the mirror. Most people here know a lot about something, and usually know where that begins and ends. You have made no effort to figure that out. I think your assessment a while back is that we all have very little to offer you. Ok, then perhaps best to move on and find a place that does.

On the spectrum much?

Probably. My teachers wanted to drug me way way way back before it was the thing they did to 50% of the kids. Some of them did at least. Mostly the old crusty Karen types. With other teachers we had a good time and kept the class entertained.

Back in my day kids came to school with hunting rifles and put them in their lockers so they could go straight out hunting after school. And it was kind of a joke when I made an oxy+acetylene+sparkplug 'device' and blew the tiles out of the girls bathroom. Nobody narc'd on me, but some of the teachers figured it out right away and laughed about it. Ah, the good old days...back before all the vaccine damage.

Last edited:
I do it so rarely I can't remember how to put a user on <ignore>. Oh yeah, now I remember.

Why is it that people have such a compulsion to brag in public about using an 'ignore' list? I'm mean just do it already. Sheesh!

iu

Answering my own question from above:

https://www.marineinsight.com/know-more/23-maritime-forums-and-discussion-boards-online/

I'm surprised that trawlerforum is not on the list. In spite of my petty insults on this thread, there actually is a reasonable amount of worthwhile content here. Especially for the target audience.

The thing is that all of these forums are slow as molasses. Part of it is that my internet connection sucks, but another part is that they are chronically overloaded with spam adds (and God knows what other kinds of tracking beacon garbage) and it is not very efficient to used them. It is exactly like 'Ow, My Balls' TV show in the must-watch film Idiocracy. On top of that there tend to be a fair number of poor design choices in terms of usability and flat out annoying bugs.

YT link: watch?v=hj7c0J_V1L8

Last edited:
Hmmmm!

Hmmm! Let me guess...12 seasons working on, near or maybe not all in Bristol Bay with your attitude either led to the mariners there having their way with you or they kicked you arse...a lot, leading to this unsolicited, incoherent rant about all YOUR perceived injustices. Maybe it's time to change your attitude as it can and will lead to your catastrophic demise in this maritime world. You are being sooo selfish and self centered but importantly, so irresponsible and unfair to your family who you may be dragging down with you....God forbid. Grow up before it's too late.

Hmmm! Let me guess...12 seasons working on, near or maybe not all in Bristol Bay with your attitude either led to the mariners there having their way with you or they kicked you arse...a lot, leading to this unsolicited, incoherent rant about all YOUR perceived injustices. Maybe it's time to change your attitude as it can and will lead to your catastrophic demise in this maritime world. You are being sooo selfish and self centered but importantly, so irresponsible and unfair to your family who you may be dragging down with you....God forbid. Grow up before it's too late.

I can typically fit in in most any environment if/when I wish. For a while at least. It's not hard act like people from Idiocracy when needed, and yes, when working on the fishing grounds or construction site, it was kind of handy at times. Fun too! The trouble is that once you are found out, the jig is up. Then you have to be the guy reading the system manuals (boats) or doing the grade calculations (ditch-digging.) At least it's not like The Killing Fields where people who were suspected of knowing how to read were executed by a kill-team of children. After about age 30 most of my co-workers held PhD's and I didn't have to 'de-tune' so much in order to fit in.

I didn't have to fight very much. It helps to be somewhat physically imposing. And it helps to be that way by doing actual work.

I do tend to have a quick skim over people's past posts before replying to them on threads like this. Say, you wouldn't happen to have a "1988 36' Grand Banks" would you? Kinda proud of it? This forum only shows one line of people's writings by default, but that gave sufficient text to make my laugh out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom