Wine Boxes - Taking You Back To Student Days!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Problem with the Kirkland (and we have tried their Malbec which is good) is that it sits right next to some decent Josh and Joel Gott!

Yes, the Gott is very good. Probably the best at it's price IMO. Weekend wine for us.

Sorry, we're Bollinger drinkers.

I know, lower class. But heh, it gets us by.

Wifey B: Bollinger Rose with the Cherry and Raspberry that tastes like Strawberry. :)

I was fine with Korbel for years. I didn't think the fancy expensive ones would possibly be different but no more often than we drink, we splurge for special occasions. :D

When you see :rolleyes: , it means sarcasm ( a joke, tongue in cheek, not something to be taken seriously ).

Ted
But it doesn`t work as "sarcasm". As someone else discovered.

But it doesn`t work as "sarcasm". As someone else discovered.

I ment to type "Sarcastic" as that is the word that appears when highlighting that Emoji. I readily acknowledge that some may not recognize it for its intended purpose. It isn't generally used in the dictionary definition of the word. From an online sight for Emojis it is described as, "Commonly used to convey irony, sarcasm, joking, or a sense of goofiness or silliness". You will find it often used on TF to indicate the author isn't serious (joking) about what he has written.

Ted

There are a number of good box wines. Rather than recommending, I suggest you try a few and find some that you like. Total Wines has their own brand "Pacific Peak" which suits me fine and is one of the better bargains at about $10/3L. For boating it's s no-brainer. Forget the bottles. In fact, I generally take the wine bag out of the box to minimize storage and fridge space and reduce waste on the boat. Also very little trash to deal with when empty. The only time I bring bottles is for the occasional champagne or prosecco.

We have used boxed(bag) wine for several years. Black box is fine but we prefer Bota Box (same price) it’s our daily wine at home & all we carry aboard. Favourites are the Cab, rose and Sauvignon Blanc. Nice thing is once opened, no air ingress so can keep for weeks (ours never last that long).
Someone mentioned needing a stand. If u don’t want the cardboard, just pick up the bag by the top and press the button with your other hand- no problem -you have to do this to to extract the last glass from the bag once it’s almost empty anyway. Enjoy!

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that having to pull a cork out of a bottle forces a certain level of self control in the excessive consumption of wine. Don't want to come across as being judgmental, but there seem to be a few here who need more than a push button spigot to maintain reasonable consumption levels. :rolleyes:

Ted

On the contrary, when you open a bottle of wine, you should finish it. A box or bag of wine allows you to consume a single glass if that's all you want. If you need a cork-pull to limit your drinking, maybe that's a bigger issue!

I’m 20Plus years in the wine biz...Bag In Box (BIB) is common & delicious in the EU! It’s easy to drink, quality Table Wine. In the US, look for EU products like Vina Borgia (Spain)- delicious stuff for the $, and La Ville Ferme (France). I litter my get FREE WINE, and bring just a few actual glass bottles aboard.

I prefer Franzia Merlot.

They contribute a portion of sales to a Vet program.

Out of Florida it comes in 5 lt boxes and often are discounted if buying a case of 4.

In FL all I have seen is 3 lt boxes.

Less expensive than Black Box and to me good enough.

Franzia and Peter Vella are available in 5 L boxes at the NEX at Jacksonville NAS and Mayport NS. Federal land, not State of Florida. Get one of your retired Navy friends to take you on board.

Another vote for Black Box. I happen to drink the Cab. I don't drink a lot of wine, but do like the occasional glass. My wife doesn't drink wine. The box allows me to pour a glass whenever I want and the box will be good (AFTER opening) for at least a couple of weeks. When we have friends over who also drink wine, no problem, plenty in the box and I'm never reluctant to crack open another one. :)

I believe the correct term now is cardbordeux.

Its classy

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that having to pull a cork out of a bottle forces a certain level of self control in the excessive consumption of wine. ...

If I'm going to go to all the trouble to remove the cork, d**m straight I'm goin' to drink it all. Not worth the effort to put the cork back in.

Funny thing was, in one of my clumsier Google searches, a hospital type drip bag holder on wheels came up.

Not that it was a bad idea at all. :D

So an update on our research!

We tried Black Box Cab and Black Box Red Blend.

Bota Box Malbec and NightHawk (by Bota Box) Cab.

And currently Kirkland (Costo) Cab.

Winners so far are Bota Box Malbec, even better with an aerator.

Black Box Red Blend, slightly better with aerator, but also fine without.

And the Kirkland cab is actually very good! In fact winning overall right now.

The research will continue.

BTW, what I also discovered is that in each location, including Costco, there are only a few boxes on the shelves. So when it comes time for a three month provision we will probably have to special order.

Both my wife and I are red wine drinkers. We always use box wine. I don't like glass on board (if I can avoid it), and with box wine, you don't have all of the bottles (both full and empty) to deal with! We even take "home made" wine with us (made at the wine store) just in bladders. The bladders (whether store bought or "home made") are stored in boxes wherever we have space. To use a bladder, we put into a tall "tuperware" container. We have several (wife is a Tuperware queen) that perfectly fit a 4 litre bladder. It makes dispensing the wine easy! Depending on the wine, we may or may not use an aerator. We often head out for over 3 months, and like to take a large supply with us. With bottles, this would be next to impossible.

. With bottles, this would be next to impossible.

Well we've proven it's not impossible - but needs a lot of storage and results in a lot of recycling stored in the lazarette before we get back! :D

Good for you Menzies. Bigger boat, probably more storage available. I can't be bothered with the storage issues, especially for the empties. With the bladders, just force the air out and they take up very, very little room and no chance of broken glass.

Different strokes! :)

Greetings,
No one has yet mentioned the attractive throw pillows that can be made by simply inflating the empty bladders with air and arranging them artistically on the chesterfield...

iu

Good point RTF!!!!! I forgot all about that obvious advantage :)
Morticia, That is like French to my ears!

well I went the other way.....made a 40 bottle wine rack in the sitting area, and the bilges are good for another 8 - 10 cases of wine. so 120 + 40 enough to cruise a month

well I went the other way.....made a 40 bottle wine rack in the sitting area, and the bilges are good for another 8 - 10 cases of wine. so 120 + 40 enough to cruise a month

What would you do for a three or four month cruise in the Bahamas with over priced inferior wines available to purchase?

Good for you Menzies. Bigger boat, probably more storage available. I can't be bothered with the storage issues, especially for the empties. With the bladders, just force the air out and they take up very, very little room and no chance of broken glass.

Different strokes! :)

Nope, same strokes, or I wouldn't be experimenting with this concept at all!

Wine box

The admiral wanted to dress up her box wine with a table top case.
So I made one that fits both Black Box and Bota Box ( there is a difference in bladder size)
Fun project. It passed inspection.

Attachments

• B756CBC9-BFFC-4FBF-8051-E890471EFF22.jpg
    B756CBC9-BFFC-4FBF-8051-E890471EFF22.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 30
  • F7FEE8AB-E93D-42C3-ADFA-4604CDC0B587.jpg
    F7FEE8AB-E93D-42C3-ADFA-4604CDC0B587.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 35
I’ll bet if you call the Costco ahead of time they will have it ready for you.. pretty sure there’s no way they only stock three boxes of wine at a time... :)

BTW, what I also discovered is that in each location, including Costco, there are only a few boxes on the shelves. So when it comes time for a three month provision we will probably have to special order.

"Greetings,
No one has yet mentioned the attractive throw pillows that can be made by simply inflating the empty bladders with air and arranging them artistically on the chesterfield..."

Or...with the addition of a valve from an anti-siphon unit, one could make it in to a whoopie cushion!

Tator

Back
Top Bottom