Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• V01.jpg
    V01.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 18
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 16
  • V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 17
Ah, great post by Hopcar, I really love those contemporary groups who do that 1920's jazz vibe. Along those same lines here's one of my favorites - German group called Marina and the Kats, but they frequently do thier songs and videos in English. Great fun. So glad they're resurrecting a 100 year old style with such skill and energy.

MARINA & THE KATS ** Dirty (Radio Edit)

Incognito`s 2016 Tribute to George Duke "Brazilian Love Affair", probably live at the Jakarta Jazz Festival. Could have posted it before but it just lifted me out of a lousy day. Listen up, might do the same for you.

Last edited:
Quincy Jones "Summer in the City"

Boat still at the yard. Someone might like this. No video, recorded in1973, I`ve got it on vinyl as well as CD.Vocal by Valerie Simpson, electric piano by Dave Grusin. Does it sound so dated?Not to me, well,maybe a little:

Last edited:
Quicy Jones "Daydreaming"

Same 1973 LP("You`ve Got It Bad Girl"). The Aretha Franklin song covered by Quincy Jones who sings(?talks) and Valerie Simpson. Dreamy stuff, pretty pictures,so smooth, love it.

Last edited:
Sure I posted a version of this Quincy Jones R&B "Secret Garden" track before, but not this one. With Barry White, QJ, even someone who sounds like Michael Jackson. QJ has produced Michael Jackson albums. Amazing to think QJ once led a backing orchestra for Frank Sinatra (Frank who? I hear you say). Good audio, no film track.

It ain`t about a garden, there might be bush, but there`s no garden.

Hey Nineteen--Steely Dan

Guitar, harmony, smooth as, nonsense lines, it`s Steely Dan, as magical as ever. Was 19 illegal sometime? And Vale Walter Becker. Go, you good thing!

"Glamour Profession", live, might just top it. A friend at a conference chanced seeing them live while in New Orleans, said they truly amazing live on stage.

Last edited:
Bruce,

It’s easy to see why you like Incognito so much. Sadly, we have few touring bands with that number of musicians and singers. Steely Dan is the only one I can think of, and they don’t have that number.

Don

Bruce,

It’s easy to see why you like Incognito so much. Sadly, we have few touring bands with that number of musicians and singers. Steely Dan is the only one I can think of, and they don’t have that number.

Don
Incognito is unusual in that they bring in extra people, really good people, as needed. They`ve been going for 40 years, under leader "Bluey", Jean Paul Maunick, originally from Mauritius. Played here once but I was overseas, regulars at the Java Jazz Festival in Jakarta, several reasons I might not go there for some time.
Steely Dan are good, I hope they can continue without Walter Becker.

Woke up humming this tune this morning and found these kids covering it. I think Jim Croce would be proud. Love one of the YouTube comments: “Humanity lives on.”

HBO is running a great bio of the Brothers Gibb, the last several minutes of which are positively moving. Harmonies like no others. This is one of my favorites:

Woke up humming this tune this morning and found these kids covering it. I think Jim Croce would be proud. Love one of the YouTube comments: “Humanity lives on.”

Angus I’ve been following those young folks for a while. They are terrific! Here is their version of Harvest Moon.

If there are any jazz lovers out there, here is a rather seasonal old chestnut that I recorded with some friends way back in '82. I play the sax. Merry Christmas all!

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Very nice! I really like the sax. It always sounds dirty. My favorite sax player just died. He went by Alto Reed and played with Bob Seger in the Silver Bullet Band. He was a customer of mine and once brought a giant saxophone into my store and played us a tune. Here is a song that features his playing. I miss you Alto.

If there are any jazz lovers out there, here is a rather seasonal old chestnut that I recorded with some friends way back in '82. I play the sax. Merry Christmas all!

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life
Sure are. Not a Dropbox user but I take Hopcar`s word for it.
Jazz is such a wide genre, smooth jazz I like, but wider,eg. Bill Evans is good, so is lots of modern jazz, as distinct from trad jazz. And upbeat stuff, like Incognito, an amalgam of jazz, blues,R&B,Brazilian,(maybe their own brand of whatever it is they play), etc. Keep em coming.

Little Quirks - 'He's the devil's ivy my dear'

One of the unexpected pluses of a recent new car purchase was that the digital radio gives the artist and song name up on screen, and just by chance, I happened across this group, and here's one of their best in my view...great harmonies...oh, and by the way, it's chasin', not Jason...just sayin'...

Last edited:
Stormy, covered by Santana

In honor of what`s happening overhead,right now.

This one’s been on heavy rotation at our house. Sign of the times, I guess.

How about a metal sea shanty? ?

Here is a really nice non-metal version of it that repeats for three hours. When you get tired of it just turn it off. This version has an explanation of the terms used like Wellerman and tongin. Great song with a wonderful history.

Tony Bennett has Alzheimers

The family just announced it,age 94, he`s been affected for several years. What a great singer. I found this,recorded at home,surely with Alzheimers, and Covid, and just piano. The phrasing is still there,the voice is faded,the decline is sad, but the memories of a fine singer will remain:

Compare the recorded "at home" Tony Bennett song above, with one recorded I think in 2014 at a mere 87 years old. With The Ralph Sharon Trio, his backing band for many years. Back in the 60s,after he lost his way,he was rescued by pianist Bill Evans who recorded an album with him. This is nice singing, by someone who seems a real gentleman of the music world.

Nothing like hearing Hotel California from Nuuk, Greenland or death metal from Baffin Island. The real fun is listening to the local talk between songs. Brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom