Hey Orca Task Force, KISS MY GRITS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy.. where to start.

First of all the southern resident pod is starving due to lack of salmon.. period.

HOLLYWOOD

If Washington's governor would put 1.3 billion into the salmon, and probably a lot less would do, there wouldn't be a killer whale problem.

If Washington's governor would put 1.3 billion into the salmon, and probably a lot less would do, there wouldn't be a killer whale problem.

Exactly.. I think..

He is using the Orca to stay in the news.

So he can be relevent..

HOLLYWOOD

Tiltrider1, with respect, your comments have no basis in fact. The entire SRKW eco type is stressed and you assertion that J pod is suffering greater than K pod, is just not accurate.

For some reason, in both your posts, you have failed to mention L pod and I hope that is simply an oversight because, even though J and K pods combined, outnumber L pod, it is L pod which has had substantially greater losses.

I suppose, based on recent media attention given to J35’s dead calf and the death of J50, it is reasonable to assume that J pod’s health is more at risk. However, within the same year, L92 and K13 died without fanfare.

With the exception of L124, born in January and not seen since, there have been no surviving births across all 3 pods since November 2015.

In the simplest of terms, there are just not enough SRKW females of reproductive age to sustain any population growth. Among those of age, there are an inordinate number seemingly incapable of conception, carrying to term, delivering live births or providing sufficient post birth nutrition.

There is much research, proven and ongoing, with regards to what is interfering with the SRKW reproductive cycle and Victoria feces is not on the list.

I don’t take issue with an uneducated public or mariners who choose to not be informed but, it does trouble me when anyone pretends to know and publishes misinformation.

You are an activist. You have no credibility. If the truth was known we would have solved the problem. Just because you think it is boat traffic doesn’t make it so. There is no data just miss guided passion. Tell me O’wise one, why is K pod doing so much better than J pod. K pod is surrounded by whale watchers all day as well. Maybe it’s because of all the pollution that Victoria has dumped into J pods waters, do the data.

I think you misunderstood my initial post. To sum it up I believe it is a multitude of problems. To clarify, my understanding is that lack of large salmon is the largest stress and that things like boat traffic are compounding problems that wouldn't normally be an issue if the orca's prey weren't so scarce. But since prey availability requires long term solutions we need to do what is possible in the short term. Curbing recreational salmon quota is one bandaid, curbing large commercial traffic affects is another, and maybe limiting commercial whale watching activities is another. We all have a part to play. Big picture perspective puts us on the same side.

Last edited:
Wow, some rather uncharitable characterizations of fellow TFers here.

In many ways, this is old news. I would hope that those of us that live and boat in these waters would have been aware of the recommendations coming out of the task force before this.

I would love to see the whale watching operators be put out of business. As a boater, I find them highly annoying. They may slow down when they get near a pod, but they certainly make a nuisance of themselves as they are racing to find them. There are plenty of boaters in addition to the professional biologists to keep the experts abreast of where the whales are at any given time.

I have some real concerns with some of the recommendations. The 7 knot limit doesn’t bother me since that is the speed I travel anyway, however the proposed regs say that is 7 knots over the ground speed. That alone tells me that much of the writers of these recommendations aren’t actually boaters. If I’m heading with a current, I could be doing 7 knots through the water yet doing up to 12 knots over the ground. Likewise, a boat could be running against that current and be doing 12 knots through the water yet still be at that 7 knot limit. It makes no sense. It should be boat speed, not SOG.

I also have concerns about a 400 yard exclusion zone. A 400y exclusion zone could stop any traffic in some of the channels in the Salish Sea. Currently it is unlawful to be within 200 yards of an orca. If that is increased to 400yards that could prevent navigation for recreational or commercial vessels in some area for as long as the whales decide to stay in that location.

I also don’t like the idea of a $10 fee for an “Orca Protection Endorsement”. Yeah, it is possible to Opt-out, but the whole concept of hitting recreational boaters with yet another fee doesn’t sit well.

I do like the recommendations to help educate boaters like me on the effects of our depth sounders and fish finders. The more we know, the better we can accommodate the needs of the Orca.

All in all, I’ve not encountered Orca but a handful of times in my 50 years of boating on Puget Sound. So on the whole, the actual interference would be minimal. Even so, the requirements could be improved.

As others have mentioned, the real problem is lack of food. While it is clear that low salmon stocks are the biggest problem, the effects of noise and harassment are not nearly as clear. I understand that often if action is delayed until there is uncontroverted proof, then it is too late until that proof is available. However, there were way too many squishy descriptors about the effects of noise on the whales for me to be happy. I’d rather not have boats face regulations that that are only minimally effective when the real issues of habitat are insufficiently addressed.

Sorta makes me want to go west and take a crap in Puget Sound while riding a jet ski.

"Orca population should teach the resident Orcas to hunt the states politicians at least there would be plenty protein. :)"

I don't think there is much food value in either hot air or BS.

“You are an activist. You have no credibility.”

Seriously? I imagine from the tenor of your screed that you are a patriotic American. Think for just a second about the glorious Boston Tea Party. And, if you’re able to wrap your mind around it, the youthful uprising that ended the Vietnam War. Our history shows as plain as day that “activists” are change agents who catalyze forward motion in the arc of civilization. Your syllogism: “activist = no credibility” is the sign of an ossified culture.

I don’t think it’s really activists you have a problem with. It’s more likely you take exception to people who don’t see the world the same way that you do.

Open your mind; look at the data. The truth will set you free.

Some of the comments on here are making me pro-nuclear.

With the exception of L124, born in January and not seen since, there have been no surviving births across all 3 pods since November 2015.

In the simplest of terms, there are just not enough SRKW females of reproductive age to sustain any population growth. Among those of age, there are an inordinate number seemingly incapable of conception, carrying to term, delivering live births or providing sufficient post birth nutrition.

from the Orca task Force
Nicknamed “Lucky,” and officially labeled L124, he was the first new calf born in Puget Sound.
Lucky was last reported seen by the Center for Whale Research on March 9, “zig-zagging their way toward Obstruction Pass,” off the coast of northern Washington.

From NOAA about 6 months ago:

On a positive note, NOAA reports K27, K25’s sister, appears to be heavily pregnant, according to aerial images. Other female orcas in all three resident pods — J, K, and L — are pregnant as well.

These are cherry picked quotes, just like others here... There is no doubt that the resident orca population is in decline and the mostlyi likely reason is lack of food and other environmental issues... My issue is this has been politicized just like so many other issues... Remember Vanuatu, is it underwater yet?

from the Orca task Force
Nicknamed “Lucky,” and officially labeled L124, he was the first new calf born in Puget Sound.
Lucky was last reported seen by the Center for Whale Research on March 9, “zig-zagging their way toward Obstruction Pass,” off the coast of northern Washington.

To my knowledge, the last reported encounter with L Pod, by the Center for Whale Research, was on the Canadian side of Haro Strait on January 30, with no mention of new born L124. https://www.whaleresearch.com/2019-6

The link you provided of March 09 documented two calves, both transients: (quote) Surfacing beside T124A3 was a new calf, likely born at the beginning of 2019. T123’s calf that was born in late 2018 was also present (unquote).

The reporting of T124s, via various third parties and social media, could easily and understandably been confused as L124.

If you have something I have missed, I’d be pleased if you shared it with me.

Your other comments, with respect to pregnancies, are accurate and while there is hope, KW calves have a high mortality rate in year one and are not officially named until the end of year two.

Your willingness to be informed is applauded.

Last edited:
So the SRKWs near Vancouver, Victoria, Everett, and Seattle aren't thriving.

Whereas, the NRKWs are doing fairly well. See them and the transients all the time.

Hmm...

No politician is going to say that dense populations are bad for the environment, because that's just bad for votes.

Sorta makes me want to go west and take a crap in Puget Sound while riding a jet ski.

Haha, no need, Seattle's West Point sewage plant already does that along with Victoria BC's sewage outfall. Just not the jet ski thing

Lucky was last reported seen by on March 9, “zig-zagging their way toward Obstruction Pass,” off the coast of northern Washington.
Ka_sea_ta, I didn't get the memo and you are correct; L124 has been recently spotted. This pic is L124 (gender not yet determined) swimming with J Pod on March 19.

Thank you for the nudge.

Attachments

• L124 .jpg
    L124 .jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 70
Ka_sea_ta, I didn't get the memo and you are correct; L124 has been recently spotted. This pic is L124 (gender not yet determined) swimming with J Pod on March 19.

Thank you for the nudge.

Whoa...don’t you mean L124 hasn’t chosen its gender yet?

These are highly intelligent animals.
Are you telling me that they will only eat salmon and not pinnipeds?
I can't believe they don't have the ability to adapt to eating pinnipeds.

These are highly intelligent animals.
Are you telling me that they will only eat salmon and not pinnipeds?
I can't believe they don't have the ability to adapt to eating pinnipeds.

If only it were so simple; not long ago, someone suggested, quite seriously, we should “teach” them to eat our wasted food. “Win, win,” he said.

Tunajoe, do you smoke? No? You must have some long standing habit you couldn’t change, to something completely foreign, overnight, with ease. And you’ve only been at that for what, 50 years?

Existing on a single, abundant food source for 11 million years, it is not an easy switch to make.

Killer whales which do eat pinnipeds have different brains. They hunt by stealth, mostly in pairs or threesomes; always have. They could not just switch to oysters.

The southern residents whose diet is not only salmon, but 80% Chinook salmon, hunt as a family, by communication and echolocation. They can detect a single Chinook in a school of many species.

Before they could adapt to eating pinnipeds, they would need to learn to be quiet. Learn how to drown sea lions. Learn to not eat the lungs.

For either of those cetaceans to just up and switch is a physical, if not genetic, impossibility. It would be more logical for the southern residents to increase consumption of other fishes, like their northern resident cousins. But, the chinook isn’t just feeding a preferred taste; the fat, specific to the chinook, feeds everything about their biology.

If only it were so simple.

Back
Top Bottom