Old 07-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #21

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I'd be more interested as to how you get in and out of the dinghy to do the hook up and take off of hook.

I have a second dinghy I am thinking of foredeck mounting if I can figure out how to get in and out from great height.

Nordhavn offers/provides a portable ladder on the foredeck to get up and down from the dinghy. In practice, someone often just rides the dinghy up or down. Once in the water, you move it to the swim step like any other boat.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Nordhavn offers/provides a portable ladder on the foredeck to get up and down from the dinghy. In practice, someone often just rides the dinghy up or down. Once in the water, you move it to the swim step like any other boat.

This is correct, but we are trying something new. I havenít found anyone who likes the boarding ladder. Some tolerate it, and others detest it.

We have molded a series of toe pockets into the hull so you can climb up or down. I think it will either be brilliant, or a total failure and good story.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #23
Guru

A stainless plow anchor is std equipment of Nordhavns, and I have to say that all who have them are pleased.

Many buyers instead spec Rocnas or Mantuses. We are going with a 150kg Rocna, but I might go for a 200kg. In a nut shell, I never want to drag again. Ever. Dashew put it well. One should carry around a mooring, not and anchor.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Nordhavn offers/provides a portable ladder on the foredeck to get up and down from the dinghy. In practice, someone often just rides the dinghy up or down.
Sounds bloody dangerous to me especially in anything but flat condition's
Our second tinny is about 90lbs so will have a simple crane and certainly not robust enough to carry a passenger in it.

Quote:
Once in the water, you move it to the swim step like any other boat.
I've always had boats where the dinghy is lowered at the swim step, no need to move them anywhere.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
A stainless plow anchor is std equipment of Nordhavns, and I have to say that all who have them are pleased.

Many buyers instead spec Rocnas or Mantuses. We are going with a 150kg Rocna, but I might go for a 200kg. In a nut shell, I never want to drag again. Ever. Dashew put it well. One should carry around a mooring, not and anchor.
MASSIVE anchor that , more than double the weight of our supreme which has held us in 80+ knots on a 150,000lb boat

Can see why you would go that big with a plough but with a decent anchor????
Old 07-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
MASSIVE anchor that , more than double the weight of our supreme which has held us in 80+ knots on a 150,000lb boat

Can see why you would go that big with a plough but with a decent anchor????

The N68 is around 220,000 lbs. No reports of dragging with 150kg Rocnas.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
The N68 is around 220,000 lbs. .
Yep, heavier boat bigger anchor I get it.

Quote:
No reports of dragging with 150kg Rocnas
Nor would they with 500kg anchors, but my point being with new gen anchors most tend to go smaller than a plough due to them actually working.

Add. Wow, 220000 is near 100,000 kg, so yeah, BIG lump of a thing isn't it
Stupidly large anchor required. (-;
Old 07-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
The N68 is around 220,000 lbs. No reports of dragging with 150kg Rocnas.
Twisted, as money does not appear to be a big issue, can I respectfully suggest you check out the Sarc Excel #19 = 160kg, seen here...
SARCA Excel No 19 - Anchor Right Australia Available in 316 stainless. A Nordhavn 68 deserves a better, newer type anchor than an old shiny CQR/Plow type.

No roll bar, and shaped to fit bow set-ups like the Nordys perfectly. High-holding, quick setting and re-setting, (as demo'd by Steve's anchor setting videos), and I doubt you would ever regret going that way, if you did.

SARCA Excel Anchor - Anchor Right Australia

PS. I have no pecuniary interest in this at all, just love their anchors.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Peter,
You’re love for your SS is perhaps similar to my fondness for anchors in general. You are extremly hooked on one but I like anchors in general. I’ve wondered WHY? at times. Maybe my draw is mostly that I’m fascinated by why some work better than others. And does form follow function? It all seems to lead to endless thinking.

Or perhaps it has to do w people. Or it could be nationalistic. Are you very patriotic?
You knew or know Rex Francis. Are you very fond of him? In contrast I dislike the man behind the Rocna and wouldn’t buy one because of it.

Very few anchors are attractive as in a nice piece of art. Your SS has even been labeled as agricultural looking. Very few anchors are not IMO.

And then there’s the Ford and Chevy thing that seems entirely baseless. One is as good as the other but people can get very passionate about the qualities of one. Perhaps the anchor that came w the boat starts out just as a hunk of metal (not even painted) and over time it becomes “ours” ... to love and protect. Love by association?

Anchor threads are a draw ... no doubt. And once and awhile I wonder why. It’s just an odd shaped pice of metal.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Twisted, as money does not appear to be a big issue, can I respectfully suggest you check out the Sarc Excel #19 = 160kg, seen here...
SARCA Excel No 19 - Anchor Right Australia Available in 316 stainless. A Nordhavn 68 deserves a better, newer type anchor than an old shiny CQR/Plow type.

No roll bar, and shaped to fit bow set-ups like the Nordys perfectly. High-holding, quick setting and re-setting, (as demo'd by Steve's anchor setting videos), and I doubt you would ever regret going that way, if you did.

SARCA Excel Anchor - Anchor Right Australia

PS. I have no pecuniary interest in this at all, just love their anchors.

What's the objection to a roll bar?

And th Sarca looks nearly identical to the std anchor offered on the nordhanvns.

For what it's worth, I personally am planning on a 150kg Rocna.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I like SS anchors also. Had an Ultra on past boat. Held like glue to paper. Considering mounting it in our living room now that it has been retired.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #32
Guru

Fletch,
That glitzy Ultra is a very fine pice of high end art.
Never heard a bad thing about performance either.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Peter,
You’re love for your SS is perhaps similar to my fondness for anchors in general. You are extremly hooked on one but I like anchors in general. I’ve wondered WHY? at times. Maybe my draw is mostly that I’m fascinated by why some work better than others. And does form follow function? It all seems to lead to endless thinking.

Or perhaps it has to do w people. Or it could be nationalistic. Are you very patriotic?
You knew or know Rex Francis. Are you very fond of him? In contrast I dislike the man behind the Rocna and wouldn’t buy one because of it.

Very few anchors are attractive as in a nice piece of art. Your SS has even been labeled as agricultural looking. Very few anchors are not IMO.

And then there’s the Ford and Chevy thing that seems entirely baseless. One is as good as the other but people can get very passionate about the qualities of one. Perhaps the anchor that came w the boat starts out just as a hunk of metal (not even painted) and over time it becomes “ours” ... to love and protect. Love by association?

Anchor threads are a draw ... no doubt. And once and awhile I wonder why. It’s just an odd shaped pice of metal.
To Eric. Point of order, was not suggesting Twisted gets a Super Sarca, as the roll-bar tends to get a bit in the way of the later, integrated, bow pulpits with slots for the anchor through them. Hence my suggestion of the Excel, which is designed for those. I never owned an Excel, but know folk who do - and swear by them.

Quote:
What's the objection to a roll bar?

And the Sarca looks nearly identical (ah, but it isn't, see comment below**) to the std anchor offered on the nordhanvns.
To Twisted, same answer as for Eric, but with the additional comment, that the weakness, (personally experienced) of the CQR/Plow type is that hinged shank**. Which unless set into the bottom quite quickly, allows the fluke to just bounce across the bottom on its side, especially if it is a firmish or weedy bottom.

As to the Rocna..? Should be ok with that, because its sheer weight should cancel out most of their small weaknesses. Eg, have been known to clog, and not re-set well in really sticky stuff, and again, the roll-bar not ideal, (eg resting position and appearance) for the type of pulpit arrangement on the Nordys, but that can be got around. All the best with whatever you go with. It is a fabulous vessel. I just think a fabulous vessel deserves a fabulous anchor, is all...bias, based on experience and personal communication, admitted.

PS. Make a modest prediction. If you get your Nordy 68 fitted with a Sarca Excel, I wouldn't mind betting subsequent Nordys would all be fitted with them. They look fantastic in stainless..! It appears to me they come fitted as standard with a stainless CQR type purely because they do sit so well on their pulpit design, and look so nice and shiny..! As a stainless Excel would also.

Also probably they, Nordhavn, might well not have had anything reported back to them to promote examination of their standard anchor, and to them to make them have a rethink, because the sheer weight of the anchor up in those sizes makes a drag unlikely in the sort of benign anchoring conditions most seek out, and also maybe because so many Nordy owners end up being largely dock queens, whereas you will not be a dock queen, or necessarily always end up with benign anchoring conditions..?
Old 07-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #34
Guru

Peter,
I was looking for thoughts about why anchors are a draw.
Twisted can get whatever anchor he wants.
Getting the boat ready to go out for awhile. Finally getting a chance to test those three modded anchors. Claw, Supreme and XYZ. Never thought of modding a SS. HaHa but I’ve got an idea.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
...the Sarca looks nearly identical to the std anchor offered on the Nordhavns.

Without seeing the std anchor offered,the point of difference might be the Sarca convex design (viewed from the top), and the claimed advantages of it not clogging/retaining mud. The Rocna looks to be concave.

Mind you, the cost of getting a 150kg one from Oz to USA would be "interesting".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Without seeing the std anchor offered,the point of difference might be the Sarca convex design (viewed from the top), and the claimed advantages of it not clogging/retaining mud. The Rocna looks to be concave.

Mind you, the cost of getting a 150kg one from Oz to USA would be "interesting".
Bruce don't forget that there is now a North America distributor, Groud Tackle Marine here in Sidney BC. see attached from AnchorRight's website........ PS..I love my Excel!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 8.37.05 PM.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #37
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Bruce don't forget that there is now a North America distributor, Ground Tackle Marine here in Sidney BC. see attached from AnchorRight's website........ PS..I love my Excel!
Mike,I know about the Vancouver Isl. distributor but figured the 150kg version might not be stocked, though it could come in a bulk order at reasonable cost.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #38
Guru

Bruce,
Indeed that would be “bulk”.

Tags
anchor, nordhavn, windlass