Maxwell/Nilsson Windlass Model?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emergency Handle

did the same thing. They were very helpful and gave me all sorts of advise. I still like to know how the emergency handle for the Maxwell Nilsson 1000 looks and operates

I too, would like to know what it looks like. Mine doesn't have a stripper either. Guess I'll have to order it from Nilsson. The chain overwinds the wildcat a couple of times each time I bring up the anchor.

To tag along in identifying;

Can anyone id my Maxwell/Nilsson windlass model #? No plate on the motor.

Nilsson 2.jpg

Attachments

• Nilsson 1.jpg
    Nilsson 1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Nilsson 3.jpg
    Nilsson 3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Nilsson 4.jpg
    Nilsson 4.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 20
Give Nilsson and Maxwell a call. They split into 2 different companies. I believe Nilsson is out of New Zealand now. I worked with Maxwell through Defender.

I have struck out. Email to Nilsson and phone call to Maxwell. Both indicate that because my windlass is old (1988), chain wheel isn't something they carry. My windlass works fine. It's the chain wheel that is the problem.

I did find out the windlass is a VWC700 and I need a 105 wheel.

Anyone know if chain wheels are interchangeable between windlass brands as long as the shaft diameter is the same? I just hate to tear out a working windlass because I can't find an appropriate chain wheel.

I have struck out. Email to Nilsson and phone call to Maxwell. Both indicate that because my windlass is old (1988), chain wheel isn't something they carry. My windlass works fine. It's the chain wheel that is the problem.

I did find out the windlass is a VWC700 and I need a 105 wheel.

Anyone know if chain wheels are interchangeable between windlass brands as long as the shaft diameter is the same? I just hate to tear out a working windlass because I can't find an appropriate chain wheel.

It’s certainly possible, but there could be small differences. I would definitely be looking at that option. Even if you can find one close enough and have a machine shop alter it to fit it would be worth it.
I would make a sketch of it so you have all the dimensions and start looking.

You may find that total replacement of the windlass maybe necessary.

I did my homework, research, phone calls and emails. I could not locate a 'new' gypsy for my windlass. I knew exactly the model number I did need so my inquiries could remain brief or at least to work off the info my contacts provided.

Anyhow, last ditch effort; I'll check ebay. Found one. Installed it today and works like a champ. It's in better shape than my old 1/4 gypsy an d it fits my new chain. I will start a 'brand new windlass' fund but for now, onto my next project.

Thank you all!

Need some help identifying the model number. I don't see any identifying marks that would tell me this. On the net the only reference was to Maxwell anchors out of New Zealand. Same company? I am trying to find an owner manual for it. The chain isn't connected to the anchor becuase I am replacing the chain, just in case you were wondering....

I have this same windlass and I am trying to find a chain and rope rode that will work. There is a distinct 33 cast into the bottom wheel of my gypsy. Can anyone help determine the proper chain and rope size?

Quote: "There is a distinct 33 cast into the bottom wheel of my gypsy. Can anyone help determine the proper chain and rope size?"

If you email Nilsson they should be able to tell you. The chart is not in the owners manual but I think they would have a record copy.

Alternate is to either remove it and take it with you to try chains or bring a 1' piece of chain to check.
Part replacement instructions used to request a 1' section of chain to verify proper selection.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom