Wire nut replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I’ve just become aware of a wire connector called a Wago 221 lever nut.

It looks like a much better connector than a wire nut for shore side use but is it good enough for use on boats?

Has anybody used these? What do you think?

Attachments

• F988F097-E978-4519-92E0-BCED91841FF6.jpeg
    F988F097-E978-4519-92E0-BCED91841FF6.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 34
Greetings,
Mr. HC. Didn't watch the vid but "...good enough for use on boats?" Waterproof/water resistant? 'Nuf said.

Hi Rufus, there are lots of wire connections used on boats that are not water resistant. Take a look at the back of your breaker panel. Also buss bar connections have no water protection. I certainly wouldn’t use it in the bilge but elsewhere, maybe.

I think the problem with wire nuts is that they can vibrate loose. I don’t think these can.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. We already have a good solution for wire connections.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem. We already have a good solution for wire connections.

I see it as an easy replacement for butt connectors. It’s faster to install and you can disconnect the wire without cutting it shorter.

They are available in 2,3 or 5 connections.
There is a DIN type rail that they can be mounted to.
You need only one connector to connect a wide range of wire gauges.
No crimping tool needed to make the connection.

I saw these awhile back and bought some not knowing exactly what I would use them for. Well last week I replaced a ballast in a fluorescent fixture and they worked perfect. If they get wet on the ceiling of the engine room, I've got bigger things to worry about.

They work great. I have used them, no issues.

I've used them extensively at home. They work really well and it's nice to have the ability to take the wires out and reconnect if needed. They are much more secure than wire nuts.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never thought about using them on the boat....but I will now!

Wow. Beats hell out of butt splices. Plus, with triples, it's so much better than other solutions. They may not be ideal in a few situations but few and far between.

Discovered these years ago when working on a boat made in South Africa. They are great when used in the proper applications. No, they are not water resistant, but for running lighting circuits or when "downshifting" or "upshifting" wire size, they can' be beat. The original model can accommodate AWG 24 to AWG 12 and is rated for 20A.

All of my overhead lights are wired with a Wago variant of this connector. It's an excellent application for them, and makes it much easier to pull the lights and disconnect them when pulling down a ceiling panels. They really beat the heck out of spade or bullet connectors.

On my last survey, the surveyor wrote up several wire nut connections I had associated with overhead lighting in the saloon. This was temporary 12v LED fixtures that were in place while I was redoing the headliner/overhead. Told me ABYC standards did not allow wire nuts under any circumstances in any application.

I had a couple of other disagreements with the guy, and the wire nuts remained. As observed above - if water exposure is an issue on the ceiling of the saloon, I have way bigger issues than wire nuts.

Any idea where the surveyor world is on these? I really like the concept - first I heard of them was here. Thanks again, TF.

@sbu22:
First of all, twist on wire nuts are not compliant with ABYC E-11;

11.14.3.6 Twist on connectors (i.e., wire nuts) shall not be used

The Wago LeverNuts are acceptable, although not explicitly called out, because they meet the minimum pull out requirements for connectors.

11.14.3.3 Each splice joining conductor to conductor, conductor to connectors, and conductor to terminals shall be able to withstand a tensile force equal to at least the value shown in TABLE 15 for the smallest conductor size used in the splice for a one-minute duration without breakage to any conductor strands.

Table 15 lists a tensile pull test of 35 pounds for AWG 12.

Thank you, Charlie.

Back
Top Bottom