Using Contura switches for AC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReedStr

Vessel Name
Henry Young
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander MK II
Anyone have experience using blue sea contura switch for AC motors like a garbage disposal? Good idea? Bad idea? Obviously don't power the LED light but it seems like they support enough watts even though they aren't rated for AC at least on the box. Alternatively, a marine ac switch to recommend? I'm in the process of replacing all my 35 year old switches and the galley location has dc light switches plus 1 switch for the garborator.

I personally don’t like Contura switches unless in a protected location. Too easy to bump/brush against with no definitive tactile feedback.

Why not phone them and ask if the B.S. sw. are suitable for AC?
THey are not far away from you.

Interesting. I looked for curiosity. They list voltage and amperage ratings for the TOGGLE sw line but NOT for the COntura. All the examples they list for the Contura would be either 12VDC or 24VDC leading me to believe the switches are NOT suitable for 125VAC.
If the Conturas are suitable then they made a booboo by not offering those specs online as many of use would write the sw. off by that lack.

Just a warning though that if the Conturas are NOT AC rated then do NOT use them. Find ones that are rated. Without that rating for the higher voltage there will be serious arcing inside and maybe the inability to control, turn off, the device.

Phone them and ask.

Last edited:
To switch an AC appliance with that switch I would use a relay with a DC coil.
Simple to wire and retains the pilot light function.

To switch an AC appliance with that switch I would use a relay with a DC coil.
Simple to wire and retains the pilot light function.

Excellent idea. That is a VERY common circuit in all electrical systems.
Low voltage DC to control another higher voltage AC capacity circuit.

Whew! hard to find switch and thanks for all the suggestions. After staring at the Carling part # spec page and playing with what was available (just because you can construct a part number doesn't mean it exists) I settled on a carling V13AS00B-AZC00-000. this is a Carling V Series Contura On-Off SPST switch rated at 20a/120v with no illumination. Not in stock anywhere so we'll see when I order 5 from mouser if I can get one.

The light in the ‘lit’ switches may be the reason for only dc.

It’s quite confusing. The Carling V series Contour switch data sheet lists ac and dc capabilities of the contour switches and implies that the construction of the switches is identical. However it also includes a table of ac/dc capabilities for position 3 of the rating scheme which specifies varying levels of dc capability and, if you root around long enough, ac capabilities. So for example you can find, and order, a no illumination spst on-off switch in dc only and a different one that is ac capable. The dc only switch of course is available everywhere since these are vehicle switches but the ac version, while not stocked, does show up in catalogs and is orderable.

Bosch 12VDC Coil , contracts rated for 30A 110.
Very reliable relay. Can be continuous use.

New Wire Marine is a good source for Contura switches and standard and custom rockers.

Got a part number on that? I’m finding a lot of bosch 12v only car relays..

I got this switch and I think it will work. It's jack of all trades switch as a double pole switch that switches a source between 2 loads. For my purposes I'll just use one of the poles and one of the loads with the other load positions being effectively "off" since it won't be connected to anything. thanks for the find!

Back
Top Bottom